FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ended: Contest #4: Webcomic!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Contest #4: Webcomic!
Sylvia Cohen
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Mitchell Varley
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Mitchell Frazao
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Matthew
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Kyle
36%
 36%  [ 45 ]
Justin Stebbins
15%
 15%  [ 19 ]
Jon-Paul Hansen
10%
 10%  [ 13 ]
Jeri
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Chris Pedersen
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Andi Fischer
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Andy Pearson
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
CiccioCcYahoo
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Septemris
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Lights
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 122

onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Ended: Contest #4: Webcomic! Reply with quote

Edit: oops. i always seem to leave someone out. and no there's no conspiracy nor am i playing favorites. You may review the comics again and recast your vote. I apologize for the inconvenience.

-------------

I've set up the Webcomic! flickr gallery and all images are made public. Read through each one before picking your favorite. If you're a member of flickr, you should be able to click on the "all sizes" button to see the full size since some of them are a little hard to read.

-----------------------------------

We're taking a slightly different approach to this month's contest. Instead of the usual flexing of the LEGO building muscles, we're going to see how creative, funny, and proficient you are with your LEGO, a joke, and your camera. This month's theme is centered around a growing trend on the internet, the webcomic.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out The Webcomic List for a list of webcomics. Basically, they are like the strips you read in the daily paper, but instead they are on the web. Hence the name webcomic. You can even browse Greg Hyland's masterpieces in his section for inspiration.

Layout: you can choose between 2 different formats to do your strip. you can opt for a 3-panel layout, or a 4-panel layout, illustrated below:

Your final image size may be no larger than 750x390 for a 3-panel layout, or 550x800 for a 4-panel layout. You may download a 3-panel template here or a 4-panel template here.

Restrictions: no restrictions really. The overall theme must be related to LEGO Star Wars and relate to the 6 Star Wars films in some way OR the LEGO Star Wars line itself. No expanded universe and before anybody asks, the TIE Droid is off limits. Using your existing LEGO Star Wars sets, minifigs, and/or MOC's, tell a joke in 3 or 4 panels. And let's keep the jokes clean, people.

Format: The panels of your webcomic must be photographed and laid out into the 3- or 4-panel layout. Hand-drawn submissions will not be accepted. Photography is going to be one of the most important factors in this contest. If your photos are blurry, overesized, underexposed, that will only hurt your chances. You may of course, add word balloons, narrative text and/or word text (like a cartoon style "BOOM"). You may edit the picture to crop, resize, extract, add blur, noise, change color, etc. The idea here is that you must photograph your "art" for the strip. what you do with the photograph afterwards is completely open and up to you.

Submission Process: For the first three weeks of January, from now until 22 January, 2006, no submissions will be accepted. If a submission is posted to this thread, it will be deleted. Entries will only be accepted during the last week of January, from 23 January 2006 through 31 January 2006. Entries will only be accepted via email sent to fbtbcontests@gmail.com. If you email me your entry before the 23rd, it will be deleted, so don't bother. Why am I doing this? To give everyone plenty of time to think through what they want to do for their submission. In the previous contests, there were entries within 2 or 3 days of the announcement, only for the submitter to change their model later. It's not a racing contest, or a speed contest, it's a creativity contest. You have 21+ days to come up with something nice and really make your photographs shine. That's a lot of time, don't be hasty about it.

All submissions will be entered into a flickr gallery for everyone to browse and read. Voting will occur between 1 February 2006 and 7 February 2006. The submission with the majority vote will win. In the event of a tie, my vote will be the tie breaker and determine the winner.

Prize package: The prize for this webcomic will be a black and white, hand-drawn LEGO Star Wars character of your choice, drawn by none other than comics guru Greg Hyland. Drawing will be done with black ink on 8.5x11 piece of paper, suitable for framing (winner is responsible for all framing). The piece will be one of a kind since YOU, the winner, get to pick what character you'd like to see and receive. Piece will be signed by the artist.

You will also receive a signed copy of the LEGO AFOL comic book. A great read if you haven't picked up a copy yourself.

Only one entry per person.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post to this thread.

Last edited by onions on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if it was clear in there (I'm pretty tired right now and I know someone would ask it anyways...) but the comic is not to be drawn, but photos of LEGOs, yes? Just trying to make sure...
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, photographed.
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t, a new contest!!! This time, I'm not going to enter yet, 'cos I messed up my v fighter. can't wait to see everyones entries...
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those dimensions be in pixels? Confused I'm a resize-noobie. Shocked
Glorious Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk bending rules...
Does this have to be entirely photographed? Or would it be taboo to have at least one panel in the strip be a drawing for the sake of a gag?
Barbarossa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, are we allowed to edit our photographs? Add text? Add hand (or computer) drawn elements in addition to the photographs? Or does the joke have to be told with pictures alone? Thanks, and this sounds like a great contest.
darthviper107

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 3D pictures be allowed? Since I work with 3D programs I have a bunch of 3D models of Lego sets that look realistic, would I be able to make the images with those?
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthviper107 wrote:
Would 3D pictures be allowed? Since I work with 3D programs I have a bunch of 3D models of Lego sets that look realistic, would I be able to make the images with those?

Can you photograph a 3D model? Wink
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
gold_2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights wrote:
darthviper107 wrote:

well, no. that's just impossible. hmmm. think EJ!!! ::D:
Dperic8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i edit pics in like macromedia? aand what kinda of content is allowed? i also have another question, can each panel picture be a gif? as in mak each panel have a stop film element? please?
-D

About me One Truth, One Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman wrote:
Would those dimensions be in pixels? Confused I'm a resize-noobie. Shocked

yes, the dimensions are in pixels. if you download the templates, it's already sized ready for submission. you just need to add your photos and text.

Glorious Kyle wrote:
Lets talk bending rules...
Does this have to be entirely photographed? Or would it be taboo to have at least one panel in the strip be a drawing for the sake of a gag?

it would have to be entirely photographed.

Barbarossa wrote:
Just to clarify, are we allowed to edit our photographs? Add text? Add hand (or computer) drawn elements in addition to the photographs? Or does the joke have to be told with pictures alone? Thanks, and this sounds like a great contest.

well you obviously have to add your word balloons and text. i guess that wasn't clear, i'll edit the outline above.

darthviper107 wrote:

3d renders are not allowed.
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dperic8 wrote:
can i edit pics in like macromedia? aand what kinda of content is allowed? i also have another question, can each panel picture be a gif? as in mak each panel have a stop film element? please?
-D

yes you may edit your pics. the content is already outlined above. each panel can be whatever you want, gif, jpg, png, tiff, but the final submission should be in jpeg format.
slimez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights wrote:
darthviper107 wrote:

Yes. Print it out, and then photo that print out Wink
pearson3372

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is a cool idea. I wonder who the winner will
choose to have drawn. I would choose a abnormal character like jar jar or jabba the hutt. Very Happy
Jargon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the drawing need to be of an existing LEGO Star Wars character, or are non-LEGO characters (which Greg would draw as LEGO) allowed as well?
    - JS

Andrew wrote:
You're the dead cat of love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skotafactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about everyone just stops asking questions and think for a minute. It's not a drawing contest, Jake, it's a picture contest. If you guys want a good example, visit Collin's brickshelf here
Jargon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about entries, skotafactor, I was asking about the prize.
Besides, why is it wrong to ask questions?
    - JS

Andrew wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He meant that the last 15 posts have been questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetrooper0256 wrote:

In a contest thread, why is that a bad thing?
    - JS

Andrew wrote:
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, dont worry about the prize until you win. If you dont win, it doesnt matter what the person gets.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetrooper0256 wrote:

So? (yes, another question).
skotafactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, people were asking questions that were answered in Ace's first post and some had been asked before. And, Jake, I didn't notice you were talking about the prize.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLARGH! Chill, people! Smile

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace I think that this is a great contest idea and I look forward to enterring.

I know you have been busy but have you had the time to check out my PM? If you didn't get it then I can resend it but if you did get it then I hope to recieve a response real soon!

Thanks

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Scout Troopa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlasticJedi wrote:
Ace I think that this is a great contest idea and I look forward to enterring.

I Second that.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly school and sports... Looks like I might not be able to do this one. Sad Good Luck all! Very Happy
The Jinja Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool compo! Look's like I might get some time off to do this one.

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>
Angus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one probably doesn't qualify for the contest, but I did it a while ago and thought it would be nice to share again:

LegosJedi

Location: Building with LEGO, somewhere, in a galaxy far, far away...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we allowed to have multiple pages of panels, or just one panel?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: