FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXO-FORCE in the latest LEGO Magazine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: EXO-FORCE in the latest LEGO Magazine Reply with quote

I suppose this is OK to talk about now that it's in the UK LEGO magazine. There's a teaser that shows the white mecha with an anime minifig with blue spiked up hair, and blue mecha with a robot. There's also two mechs in the background. The release date is January 2006.

Hopefully someone get a scan up so other people can see them.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are several places on Brickshelf where you can find pictures of them. They look like they might be kind of interesting. I've seen MOC mechs that were much more interesting, but these sets don't look bad. Plus, we might see some interesting minifigs.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do look quite cool for what they are
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post these under the assumption that it is public knowledge now. If I've goofed, please remove them and have mercy. Looks like they're already trying to make the most of those miniBionicle heads.

sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a scan from the magazine:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sam89/Exo-Froce/exoforce.jpg
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, these things will continue the LED trend. As long as they're typical LEGO versatile, I don't have a problem with it. Not sure that it'll be a selling point for the kiddies, but whatever.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam89 wrote:

*sigh*

Except for the minifigs and their crazy parts of maybe some of the individual pieces of BL, I don't see myself getting any of these. (To each his own.) I am curious, however, to see if those end up being preprinted pieces or a whole buttload of stickers.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr

Last edited by Morbie19 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bertramtalespinner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how usful the anime hair will be, but those creatures in the other robot look neat and the heads could be very useful.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm freakin' STOKED about these things. Mainly because I was such a huge fan of EXO-Squad back when it was on. Smile

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
I'm freakin' STOKED about these things. Mainly because I was such a huge fan of EXO-Squad back when it was on. Smile

I like 'em well enough based on the initial shots. I can see why they wouldn't appeal to everyone, but LEGO is probably wise to try to cater to the young Gundam/various anime fans out there. I'll have to see them in person in order to determine whether or not I like them enough to pick up any, and I hope there are more printed pieces than stickers, but I for one am not too worried about LEGO trying new things. They have made a solid effort to revitalize their core principals, they're doing some really interesting original lines and picking up licenses that should be profitable. A LEGO minifig theme like this beats the pants off of something like Galidor or those Throwbot/Slizer things.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
...but LEGO is probably wise to try to cater to the young Gundam/various anime fans out there.

The thing is... I understand what they're going for, but it's like a lot (not all) of "anime" produced in the US: it wants to seem like it's genuine Japanese anime, but if you're an honest fan there's something about it that just doesn't look right. That's why I'm not too keen on these so far. They just seem like a half-hearted attempt to jump on the bandwagon without really hitting the mark.

Anyway that's all based on just those images so who knows, I could be totally wrong and end up enjoying them. But somehow they just look like the illegitimate child child of Bionicle and RoboForce without any of the charm. Wink

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
They just seem like a half-hearted attempt to jump on the bandwagon without really hitting the mark.

Well, as hard as it is to sell a LEGO toy in this day and age (according to some), I see it more as searching for new avenues than jumping on the bandwagon. It's not as if LEGO's target audience is salivating for Akira LEGO. I'm just happy we're not dealing with some sort of crazy Pokemon/Yu-gi-Oh crap. There's your bandwagon.

Quote:
But somehow they just look like the illegitimate child child of Bionicle and RoboForce without any of the charm. Wink

m19

Well, I think that's the knee-jerk reaction to anything LEGO does that's not old skool familar. I think that including minifigs in sets similar to Titan-XP was the next logical step. Not that I feel your opinion isn't valid, I just think people need to give these sets the chance they deserve. And for the record, I think the only thing charming about the Roboforce line is that it was from 1997, and in LEGO years, that's practically ancient legend status. Wink
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
Not that I feel your opinion isn't valid, I just think people need to give these sets the chance they deserve.

Absolutely! Like I said, I'm particularly curious to see how they do the minifigs– if nothing else, we're guaranteed some wacky hairstyles. ::D:

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:

Absolutely! Like I said, I'm particularly curious to see how they do the minifigs– if nothing else, we're guaranteed some wacky hairstyles. ::D:

m19

Freaky green and blue hair for everyone! And can anyone give me some more insight on those robot head things? They look to be recycled Bionicle mini-heads, but I haven't seen the Bionicle minis in person. Are they one, solid molded piece, or are the heads their own element?
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bionicle figures are all one piece, so the heads of these robots are definitely new. The look quite similar though.
greensk8er

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam89 wrote:

Oh... my goodness... must have black driod thingy and robot (drools.....)
Carbohydrates

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it, sir, not at all. Bionicle meets minifigs. I see some of the parts look pretty useful and I like them for that reason alone (assuming they're printed and NOT stickers), so I'll wait until people start parting them out on Bricklink. Fir instance, this one (not sure why it didn't get posted with the rest) looks good for those white parts with Japanese writing. Almost inspires me to do some Blade Runner-esque MOCs.

Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbohydrates wrote:
(not sure why it didn't get posted with the rest)

Because I am worthless and stupid. Wink
spotfrog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like these. The designs are very half-hearted, for example in the joints. The only thing that saves these from looking like amateurish mocs is the insane amount of printing.
FoxPrimus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I look forward to these, but only for parts. The best thing has got to be the light up brick with a hole to put a fibre optic cable in it or a simple light sabre bit. And from the looks of it it's only 2 studs wide by 4 studs long Wink.
jedismuggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh please.... those can't be called mecha... the look so thrown together...

now this IS a mecha!

and of course it probably won't show up right, so heres the link
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1221321

smugs

-Geoff Rowley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omnipotent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail zizy!!!

these look ok at best. The frames are skinny, but provide nice peices. these create a resounding meh for me
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am not particularly into mecha these sets look pretty cool for parts packs. I like the one in all white and I really like the round pieces in the sonic phantom. It is also nice to see the A wing / B Wing/ Naboo fighter windscreen style in another set. Those are so expensive on BL right now it will be good to have some sets out there to help drive down those prices.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a huge fan of Mecha/Gundam.... These sets do nothing for me. A little too bionicle-ish. I was excited about this new line, but I can do better on my own.
spotfrog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of other mecha: What happened to the guys that designed the Titan XP? Surely they cound have done a better job than this.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Mecha fan my self, and currently I'm working on my own theme, and I see this Exo-Force line as a great sign of the path that LEGO chose to take.
Granted they are not that appealing in comparison to some fan's work, but they do pack some great parts for people to customize their own Mechs, not to mention that they do look sturdy and light in weight for children to play with... Remember, these basically are the next higher building step for those who grew up on playing with Bionicles, and now it's time for them to take their next challenge to be a bit more advanced.
... Design wise, I think they do look wrong in their proportion and anatomy, since their hips are a little too wide and their torsos are too boxy... But hey, I can't complain too much, since I've always wanted to see LEGO stepping into this direction by creating a minifig Mecha line...

I do truly believe that LEGO has been listening to their active fans lately, and that's all what we wanted, and I think the next waves are only going to be more promising, let's be a bit patient and see where things are heading... (crossing fingers!)

My Brickshelf Gallery
infallible

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too into these. Maybe when I see them I'll like them, but for now, I'd probably not get them. If there are cool parts in them and if the price points are reasonable, then I'll think about it. But these aren't sets that I'd want to build; they'd just be for parts. (Minifigs alone won't sell me on a line. But if the minis are cool, I'll look for them on BL.)
Skull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like the idea a lot, the execution leaves much to be desired. I think more sizes would have benifited the line greatly. There's not much you can do if all the sets are going to be one of two sizes. We would all like to see robots with higher piece counts.

Watch out for the new CloudRaker MRK3, its coming -with improoved armor!
jedismuggler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zizy's frames have gotten alot better,

check it out

They've gotten bulker and stocky. But there still mini-mecha, and there still posable which is awsome.

smugs

-Geoff Rowley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stingray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.
I will probably buy one of the smaller sets too sample the line and get some of the parts from the bigger ones off B-Link.
The printed parts like the Japanese symbols and the circuits look okay but others are just begging for Brasso

I like those propeller cowling part thingies on the Sonic Phantom though, I have wanted parts like that for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: