FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Greek Vignettes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunechaser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Classic Greek Vignettes Reply with quote

I made an 8x8 base to pose some of the Greek mythology figs I've been posting over on Classic-Castle, and the next thing I knew, I had my first vignettes.

First up, Orestes is pursued by the Three Furies:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dunechaser/Vignettes/Furies/1-orestes.and.furies.jpg

Clytemnestra killed her husband King Agamemnon, and then their son Orestes killed his own mother to avenge his father's death. In retribution, the Three Furies hounded Orestes until he went insane. Athena ultimately interceded on Orestes' behalf, and the furies were placated. I'm particularly proud of the flying Fury. Cool

Next, the Three Graces -- Aglaia (Splendor), Euphrosyne (Mirth), and Thalia (Good Cheer) -- I already linked to in my earlier post:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dunechaser/Vignettes/Graces/1-the.three.graces.jpg

Finally, a version of the famous statue of Laoco÷n and his sons fighting off sea serpents:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dunechaser/Vignettes/Laocoon/1-laocoon.and.sons.jpg

Laoco÷n was a Trojan priest who tried to warn his fellow Trojan citizens against bringing in the giant wooden horse built by the Greeks besieging their city. For his interference, the Greek gods sent sea serpents to strangle Laoco÷n and his sons.

Well, perhaps I'll go build something more pleasant now...

These are my first vignettes, and I know the non-minifig elements are fairly minimal, but let me know what you think!

Flickr | The Brothers Brick
darthjedi14

Location: In a spitting contest with the old guy on the porch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! these rock! I for one am a huge study of Greek mythology, and I love them! (Despite the nudity Wink ) Good job. And very accurate! So I'm lovin' the historical accuracy. Especially with the statue of Laocoon (sp?). I have never seen the actual statue, but the story is correct. I think I'll start trying my hand at these things. Vinaigrettes, Wink .

Ian J.

P.S.

I was browsing your folders, and I came across the Romans part. I wanted to ask, where did you get that Roman helmet? Was it from a set, or is it a custom?

Last edited by darthjedi14 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
plebeianprint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to see "standard" minifig pieces used to such a good degree for customs. Mythology in its overwhelming grandeur provides such rich material to make figures from. I have seen some good centaurs, and I made Icarus and his wings of wax:

My moc minifig gallery is here:
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=plebianprint
timborino
Keeper o' the Shrub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ancient Greeks sure weren't big fans of clothing, were they?

Anyhow, good job on your vignettes. Keep 'em coming. Smile

I see what you did there
darthjedi14

Location: In a spitting contest with the old guy on the porch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BandofBrothers/Characters/guilbert.jpg

Where do you get these helmets?
spotfrog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x43

BTW- Nice vignettes! The first one's really funny. Cool
Dunechaser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!

DarthJedi14: "Vinaigrettes" -- that's awesome. ::D: (See spotfrog's post for a Peeron link to the part.)

plebeianprint: Excellent Icarus! I'd seen that before and remember being very impressed. Do you have a pic of the construction you used to attach the wings? I like my method, but am curious about yours.

Timborino: Well, at least artists (I based most of these on statues or paintings) aren't big fans of clothing. Very Happy

spotfrog: Thanks for posting the link, and thanks for the compliment! Despite the seriousness of the source subject matter, I certainly think they're funny.

Next week: Three more vigs using existing figs -- the Yalta conference during WW2 and two Monty Python sketches.

Until next time!

Flickr | The Brothers Brick
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: