FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crazy ebay bidders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: crazy ebay bidders Reply with quote

Ok, someone please explain to me why people bid way over MSRP for regularly available items?

This ISD sold for a whopping US $415 plus shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5982121758

I can see how people might pay $15 for "custom" lightsabers because they don't know about Bricklink, but come on, the ISD is available from the Lego website. Please tell me there's a real reason for this other than some people are really, really dumb.

thievery.org/dennisc | flickr
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe...

a) They don't know about S@H and just figured since it's not in a store, it's rare, no longer available, or discontinued

b) They get caught up in the biddng war excitement

c) They have too much money to burn? ::D:

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
warhawk
G.I. Brick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the winning bidder is European and would have to pay between $440 and $480 plus shipping for an ISD on S@H...

EDIT: Umm, no. The winning bidder is Canadian.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warhawk wrote:
Or the winning bidder is European and would have to pay between $450 and $480 plus shipping for an ISD on S@H...

That too. It looks like the person who won that bid is from Canada, though. I wouldn't think shipping would cost that much to there, would it?

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
fmoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians. That explains it. Smile

I checked earlier and saw that it is available on S@H for Canada for a little more than the US price, so that's not the reason.

I'm just a little annoyed (and puzzled) by these weenies who thwart my attempts to get an ISD at a discount.

Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmoo wrote:
Canadians. That explains it. Smile

I resent that remark ! Razz

$415 USD (plus shipping, mind you) is way way more than any sain Canadian would pay if they order it from Shop@Home.

Last I check, even if you have it shipped express (2 to 6 business day), the ISD would come to $426 CND. And although our dollar is gaining on the USD, we are not up to par yet...

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
plebeianprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just saw an auction for AT-At instructions that was already selling at $26. That seems a little much for just the instructions, even if for the discontinued instructions.

thanks,

plebe

My moc minifig gallery is here:
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=plebianprint
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to find all sorts of lego sets and piece lots that go for way over what you can actually get them for elsewhere. I watched a lot of 10 dark grey 2x4 plates and 10 dark grey 6x8 plates go for 20.50 plus shipping the other day. I almost sent the buyer an email telling him what an idiot he was and to show him that he could have bought the same pieces on bricklink for around $2. But alas, I was lazy and he is doomed to overpay again.

I have gotten some really great deals on bulk lots of black, grey, blue, and dark grey on ebay though. That is a good way to go to beef up your collection in a random sort of way.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Rusman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that that $415 doesn't include the $30 dollars for shipping!!!
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the primary reasons some over seas bidders pay so much for Lego toys on ebay is that the items are not available in their country. Lego direct (Shop at Home) doesn't sell to all countries. This is due to import fees that would make thier product too expensive for their target group, so fans are left to find these sets where they can.
Kaminoan's Ebay Auctions
Amber's Revenge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EDIT: Umm, no. The winning bidder is Canadian.

That explains it...

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never buy anything off Lego Shop @ Home, because I live in Australia. Postage for something under $25 is $25 Shocked
ryder8573

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the worst EBAY scenario I have seen lately, is a person in Germany put up at least 14 auctions for 7-8 ISD's and 7-8 RBR's. The shipping for each was 24.00. I figured it had to be too good to be true. I watched the auctions, but didn't bid. When they were finally over the person had netted a whopping 3000.00 for all sales. I contacted one of the winners, and he said that he had never received the item, the person was no longer a registered user, and he was filing a complaint with Paypal to get his money back. I too look for deals, and have bought many SW lego's off EBAY. But I always check the person's rating, and never bid with someone who has less than 6 months on EBAY and no fewer than 100 positive feedbacks. I know this is a bit off the topic, but anything to help out fellow brickheads, and their quest for lego.
cedarsith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch e-bay a lot, people pay too much for everything from computers to clothing to LEGO.

People just don't do enough research and get taken advantage of.

Get to know me
yama

Location: Tokyo, Japan / Hamburg, Germany / Bright Center of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some mindless people on Ebay - just saw Vader Keyring gone away for 20 (twenty!) € Shocked - it costs 4€ in our local lego-Shop!

I mean its five times the price! Plus shipping! (shakes head)

.. my 2 cent on Ebay
Gumby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
Last I check, even if you have it shipped express (2 to 6 business day), the ISD would come to $426 CND. And although our dollar is gaining on the USD, we are not up to par yet...

I think you forgot to take into account the 7% GST tax on CDN$399. And depending on where you live, there may be additional taxes!
Whopper
Flame-Broiled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: eBayer's with low feedbacks Reply with quote

Quote:
But I always check the person's rating, and never bid with someone who has less than 6 months on EBAY and no fewer than 100 positive feedbacks

This is not always good if you want a bargain though. Just be careful. If the item is too good to be true then it is. Most poeple will rip you off with new, saught after items. Secondhand items are not usually sold by fraudsters - though this is not a hard and fast rule.

I recently brought a film SLR Canon EOS 5 with a Sigma 28-200mm lens. A very good camera. The ad was written very genuinely but the seller had no feedback and was new. I emailed him and he seemed genuine and trustworthy and I bid and won. I got the camera for £132.99 (a bargain) and paid by Paypal knowing I would be protected. As the guy lived in London and my Brother works in the City I got him to collect it for me. It's a great camera and a bargian as I took a risk.

You have to judge these things for yourself - there ar eno hard and fast rules here!
DDG-51

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yama wrote:

.. my 2 cent on Ebay

2 cents on ebay would cost you about $13.85 after shipping and handling, paypal fees and packaging costs
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a crazy ebayer with the craziest auction dealing with LEGO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19009&item=5984466739&rd=1
Clone Commander Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised thats just crazy Exclamation
clone guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is an incredible rip off Shocked
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wager that I'd paint myself purple if someone actually bids on that, but that has been done before. Wink

What gets me is stupid stuff like this:

Quote:
These figures are EXTREMELY RARE and HAVE NEVER BEEN OFFERED TOGETHER BEFORE ON EBAY!  They are part of the HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE STAR WARS LEGO SERIES. 

ALL OF THESE FIGURES HAVE BEEN  PERMANENTLY RETIRED BY LEGO. They will not be sold again.

...because maybe not in this auction, but inevitably someone will see the word "RARE!!!" and fall for it.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Clone Commander Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy them cheaper for a hell of a lot less if you get them individualy
Grolim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason someone may pay more than the US MSRP is because they are overseas, not counting the Canadian guy in the above posts.

Let me give you guys an example. I'm from New Zealand. The Lego Shop @ Ho,e price for an ISD 10030 is $NZ 730 plus 80 standard shipping so that's $NZ 810 all up. The NZ$ is worth $0.70 US approx. This equates to a total price of $US 567. So now you see why!? Evil or Very Mad

So I recently bought an ISD off Ebay for $US 315 plus $100 shipping. $415 all up or $NZ 592. So it was way better for me.

If someone wants to buy me things in the US and ship them free to me that would be sweet Wink
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing six packs of blasterman's weapons cropping up for starting bids of 10 bucks and another 3 for shipping ... just sad. And yeah I hate the bid bumping to over retail. Although I did pay 42 bucks for an ARC-170 on eBay ... but I was having too much sauce that night and thought I'd drive the bidder's bid up .... not as funny as I'd hoped.
copyrrrrr
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I almost sent the buyer an email telling him what an idiot he was and to show him that he could have bought the same pieces on bricklink for around $2. But alas, I was lazy and he is doomed to overpay again.

While the guy was an idiot, I am glad for the seller you didn't do that. In this case, buyer beware is real. The dude was dumb, bid $20, and hopefully paid. If you had jumped in, he would have been pissed off by your comments but probably also relieved, and he would have not paid. For sellers, that is frusturating.

On topic, I have seen a promo set worth $20 go for $51. I promptly bought 2 of that set off bricklink, turned around and sold them on ebay for $25 each two weeks apart. This proved to me that not everyone is dumb. For the record, I only made $4 on the sets, after fees. *grumble, grumble*

The bounty hunter auction dude has all rights to sell his stuff. If he gets a buyer, power to him and power to capitalism. I saw in the auction that he offers free shipping. Hell, if I was make $100 on five minifigs I would too .
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DPrime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit that there are stupid Canadians, as well as stupid people all over the world. My guess is someone just got caught up in a bidding war.

(I'm from Canada, by the way - that's not a dig at Canadians or anything... just people in general!)
Greedygreedo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPrime wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that there are stupid Canadians, as well as stupid people all over the world. My guess is someone just got caught up in a bidding war.

(I'm from Canada, by the way - that's not a dig at Canadians or anything... just people in general!)

Well I am Canadian (Korean actually (Moved)) and I don't get why people say Canadians are so "stupid" in general. Canadians actualy insult Americans and I guess Americans insult Canadians. You can say that we are all equal. But I will argue over that. I hate it when races insult each other, it is just frustrating. So I hope we can all agree that we were all joking and we will be nice. Wink
fmoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is just a fun tradition for Americans and Canadians to make fun of each other. There are a couple of Canadians in my group at work. We do it all the time (the taunting goes both ways), and it's always in good fun.

Stupid people abound, and stupidity is equal opportunity. For some reason, there is a large concentration of them who buy overpriced ISDs on Ebay....

preyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: oops! Reply with quote

i buy and sell on ebay (only ever sold lego once, a lot of final duel II's), and it's been my limited experience that shipping to canada from dayton, ohio, isn't that much extra of a cost. you do have to fill out a customs form, though. maybe some parts of canada cost more to ship to than others, i don't know.

i'd been wanting an ISD for a long, long time, and had always bid up to about $250 for one. one day my wife decided she was going to really try and get me one that i was losing a bid for and got caught up in a war herself. her mistake was forgetting about shipping, which is breaking rule one. well, we wound up paying too much for it, but guess what-- i put it together anyway, :D. (right now it's the centrepiece on my dining room table, but i reckon that's another story.)

i've seen it happen many, many times before, where people don't pay attention to currency converters and think they're getting a great deal on something, never realizing that, say, english pounds are worth roughly seventy cents more than our dollar. not that that happened here, it's just one more way people screw up.

then again, something's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. i recently sold two action collection ships, an ISD and RBR, with electronic sound MISB (each measured maybe thirteen inches) for a whopping $200 (i paid about $20 in the store way back when). you ask me and i'd say you'd be crazy to spend that much on 'em, but it didn't stop me from selling 'em for that much. the buyer said they were gifts (nice gifts!), so that may be something else, over-spending because they simply don't have the time/wherewithal to do the research.

then again, some people are just plain dumb. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: