FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couples and Lego

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatespadawan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Couples and Lego Reply with quote

Does anyone have a significant other that's just as big of a Lego fan as you are?

If not, how to they cope with your Lego obsession?

In my case, I'm the Star Wars Lego collector and my beautiful girlfriend gets the Harry Potter stuff. It's getting awful crowded around the house. Smile

Industrial Light & Magic
ZomDarkie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm the lego geek.

My boyfriend much prefers a MIG/TIG toy and an awful lot of scrap metal if he's going to build anything.

Needless to say, he rolls his eyes and we simply don't discuss my toys. And I let him drone on about his. Smile
fatespadawan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkie wrote:

Needless to say, he rolls his eyes and we simply don't discuss my toys. And I let him drone on about his. Smile

Aww! That seems to be the norm most of the time. People just don't understand the joy that is Lego! Very Happy

Industrial Light & Magic
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I try to avoid the topic of Legos when I'm with a girl I'm dating or plan to date ... some people just don't understand.

On another note ... it's very difficult to hide a medium to large sized collection in 30 minutes ... when you only have two rooms.
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a girlfriend...
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a girlfriend got me 2 bonus points on a spanish test. Score! So I can't really answer this question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lego is my girlfriend.

Okay, not really. But my ladyfriend is always more than willing to help me put a set together! She's fond of Harry Potter and the Creator sets.

I also have her hooked on World of Warcraft (online MMORPG). Huzzah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I've got an awesome story to share: Cool

This past Christmas when I went back home to Atlanta, I met one of my sister's good friends from her church group. She introduced me to her and right off the start we just clicked. We talked and got to know eachother for a bit. We went on our first date for New Year's and getting to know her was like getting to know a female version of me! We just had so much in common and from the beginning I knew this was going to be an amazing relationship. I went back to L.A. (she lives in Atlanta) and we continued to call eachother. We talk about 4 days a week and we talk to eachother hours at a time.

Early on I told her about my hobby which was, of course, LEGO. Most people I know that when I tell them I'm into LEGO I get that "that's kinda cool" or "how cute, he still plays with kid's toys" and maybe "hey, that's really neat! Nice use of LEGO as an artistic medium!" When I told my girl about LEGO, she thought that was the coolest thing! Not only did she really think it was awesome, she even said that she'd like to start building too! Shocked So I ordered her the Prehistoric Creatures set and a 4496 tub from S@H as a surprise so she can get started building. When she got the package she was overjoyed! She kept thanking me for the LEGO sets and told me how she loved building with the pieces from the tub. I've showed her my MOC's and she just admires my ability to build the things I build. I even keep her updated on my Chrysler Building when I add another section or any new thing that I build and she loves looking at them. To think that I met such an awesome woman who shares so many things in common with me, has the same love for the Lord as I do and is into LEGO is far more than I could ever dream for! We've known eachother for almost 2 months now and miss eachother like crazy. Good thing is I'm heading back home this Friday and we'll spend a lot of time together this weekend. She's even kept her dinosaur set sealed so when I get there we can build it together. I soooo cannot wait for this weekend!!! Cool
Fez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this counts, but I made this Tachikoma for my Special Lady Friend this Valentines Day. She's a huge Ghost in the Shell fan.
fatespadawan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ersh777 wrote:
Ha! I've got an awesome story to share: Cool

That's pretty awesome!

Industrial Light & Magic
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Lego & Signifigant Other (S.O) question...

I'll share just a little piece of reality with you. As some of you know, I spent almost three months in Québec this fall, with Septemris. And I can tell you that one Lego Geek + another Lego Geek = expensive! Razz

Our Lego budget was limited, but on the other hand I had lots of time to search the stores in Québec for Lego bargains. And we found lots of great stuff!

My favourite Lego Moment was when we came into a Sears store. Septemris was a few steps ahead of me, so he saw them first: five old AT-ST's (set 7127) on sale - for $3.74 CAN each! Shocked

I'll say this: if you haven't seen seen that look of bliss in the eyes of your S.O at a moment like that, you haven't seen anything Wink
ApophisV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michealearlwillard wrote:
On another note ... it's very difficult to hide a medium to large sized collection in 30 minutes ... when you only have two rooms.

Oh yes!!! I know this! ::D: Exactly the same here, actually I'm currently sitting into a huge pile of boxes, bags and plastic parts. If my dreamgirl would ring the door bell now I'd be lost... Wink

But seriously: I made the experience that almost every partner (or at least the girl you want to BE your partner) gets used to your special hobby, some just accepted it, but some even got the Lego fewer too! Very Happy

I think the next time I'm out I'll test how much success I have at partys with some saying like "Hey baby, I don't know if you know the global Lego community, but my screen name is ApophisV!" ::D:
Who knows... Wink
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl I am dating and I built a LEGO set together on Monday, aka Valentines Day. Very Happy
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApophisV wrote:
"Hey baby, I don't know if you know the global Lego community...

Heh...

As for me, I've been lucky. Of my ex's, I think two or three of them actively appreciated my hobby: bought me sets for birthday or Christmas, etc., and one of them even had her own building tub to do things like little houses or cars of many different colors.

My current girlfriend (going on 4 1/2 years) doesn't buy sets or build like I do, but she's definitely cool with the fact that I still squeal like a small child when I drag her over to TRU. Wink She and her family make sure to get me one set for the holidays so I'll have something to put together, and one of her sisters even has the original snowspeeder and Hoth trooper sitting on her apartment's window ledge.

I have a fun story from the other night... I've been organizing my pieces and had a medium-sized tupperware of minifigs. I'd just gotten over bronchitis and a sinus infection and wasn't feeling up for much running around, so I plopped the tupperware of figs on the table and started sorting through it. She was reading I think and glanced over, came to see what I was doing, and for the next half hour was racing trikes all over the dining room table and putting figs together in weird, weird combinations. (Like a Castle helmet, fireman body, Space jetpack, etc.) But it was really adorable seeing her having so much fun with them. Smile

(She also has her own litle Jabba's Prize set on her desk that I got for her because she thought Boba was cute. ^_^) Anywho... There's my sharing!

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Faulconbridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just laughs at me (in a good way) when I get a new LEGO set. As far as things to spend money on, she knows there are worse things I could be doing (smoking, going out to the bars all the time, gambling..) so she thinks its pretty cool that I have a hobby that I can do at home and can share with our son when he gets a little older. Very Happy
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulconbridge wrote:
As far as things to spend money on, she knows there are worse things I could be doing (smoking, going out to the bars all the time, gambling..)

That's an excellent point, same with me.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Flail

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poor wife, she didn't know when she was marrying me, she was marrying lego. Razz

While my wife's relationship with me is incredibly wonderful, hwe relationship with lego is mostly one of indifference. When I confront her with some highly interesting nugget of information like, "Hey Honny, look! I moved the landing gear up a plate on the y-wing. Now they're more concealed!!" she usually responds with a polite, "Oh, that's nice Sweetie." Who wouldn't be thrilled with this info? Occasionally, I actually do manage to pique her interest. She loves my lego chess set, and recently I made some Zelda wind waker moc's for my son (okay, for me) and she was very impressed and encouraging with those.

Probably the most disapointing aspect of my lego hobby for her is Christmas. My wife would like nothing better than to buy me nice dress shirts, ties, jackets, sweaters, etc. But what usually happens is she winds up having to get me some 'big lego set' which kind of takes the fun out of it for her. This was the first year since we've been married that there's been no 'big lego set' I wanted, so I told her to, "Get me whatever you want to this year!"

Really though, she's very supportive of my hobby and, for reasons I can't fathom, she loves me! Very Happy
Gumby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flail wrote:
My poor wife, she didn't know when she was marrying me, she was marrying lego. Razz

Haha my wife knew well in advance what she was really getting into. Very Happy

I'm lucky enough to get my own room just to store my LEGO collection. Unfortunately, not all of it fits in there so I've started to put some boxes under our bed! Twisted Evil

For birthdays and other special days, my wife has stated clearly that she would NOT get me LEGO (because I buy enough myself)... Sad
Hair Jedi
Fuzzball Rocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez... anyone wanna trade their SO for mine? Wink

My wife is not that thrilled with my hobby, to be quite honest. She doesn't see the justification of spending the money on SW sets. She understands my SW addiction, just not the Lego part of it. I was near orgasmic when I got my Darth Maul bust, and her only comment was: "You're never gonna fit that on the shelves with the rest.".

Did I mention my collection has been banished to a corner of the basement... where nobody goes... woe is me... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fatespadawan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hair jedi wrote:

Did I mention my collection has been banished to a corner of the basement... where nobody goes... woe is me... Crying or Very sad

Freeze her in Carbonite and trade her for spice. j/k

Industrial Light & Magic
DarthSpike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend and i have been dating for two years (this past valetine's) so she's kinda used to it. When i built my big fortress thing this summer, i showed it to her, and she was very...
passive.
Bless her heart, she's just doing the best she can.
BigDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife is responsible for bringing me out of my lego dark ages. She just had to have the lego x-wing. I hadn't bought a lego set in almost 6 years. I warned her that if we bought just one we wouldn't be able to stop.

Since then I've put more money into lego then I care to remind myself Smile

She loves them though and likes to build the sets and always keeps an eye out for deals. Plus we tell each other they are for our son when he gets old Wink

Last week when I found the Cantina and snowspeeder for $5 each I throw two of each in the cart. She looked at me and said...are you crazy your never going to find them lower then that and so she threw 2 more of each in...:D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, my wife isn't into LEGO. She is somewhat tolerant, except when I spend a lot (ISD!) However, she is into scrapbooking, so she can relate somewhat to the collecting/accumulating part of it. (And that is anotther expensive hobby!) However, she doesn't like them out in the open, with a few exceptions. (She likes R2D2 a lot.) So I have to pack all my LEGO and 4 computers into a small bedroom along with way too many books.
Goose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Mmm, I have to admit that I've been a closet LEGO spender in the past. I've still got a few sets stashed away in the garage. Out of site. At least that way I can get the sets I want without causing a storm.

It's not that my wife is intollerent of my hobby, it's just the amount of money that is spent that has her given me the silent treatment. I've spoken to her up front this year about how much money I'm putting aside each month. I'm hoping that will keep the waters calm when I come home with the bigger sets.

The other major issue is we live in a two bed room appartment. There is no space, repeat, NO space available for a decent, long, building session. Second bedroom has become the baby room. So the floor is the "best" spot, until it's time to go to bed. Then all is packed up again into three large boxes, in the dark, out of site Sad Some times I itch to build, but its to much hassel to pull it all from storage, to only have time to build for two hours. I now keep an ice cream tub out, filled with the latest Designer set, and build from there. It works in keeping the building itch at bay, but its not ideal.

Oh well. We have to see what the future holds. A bigger house Very Happy a tolerant wife Very Happy more babies Smile and lots more LEGO Very Happy Can't wait!

Goose
cuse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fiance actually got me into Legos. She has a bunch of older space sets. Unfortunately she doesn't have the instructions for most of them. Growing up I never had any Legos. I had some generic blocks, but I didn't know any better. Now I can't get enough Legos, especially Star Wars. So I am very lucky not only does she love Legos, but she also loves football.
Hman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-girlfriend hated my Lego obsession and called me childish for having them. But, that's all over now. ::D:
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God Hman. THANK GOD!

Nothing worse than embarassment from loved ones, eh?
MandalorianCrush

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Ex called me a nerd for liking legos (after she and i broke up). she said she didnt want to get involved in my hobby. i made her a little more tolarent by trying my hand at a BMW M3. anyway, she left me so i can just build and be happy (about legos) (and because she liked my friend). at least i dont have to put up complaining about my lego upsession Very Happy
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girl isn't into Lego at all. She tolerates my habit, in that she comes with me Lego shopping and occasionally lets me put together my new finds at her place.

I recently took a job out of town, and I was talking about looking for apartments. She told me I needed to get a 2-bedroom, so I was wondering what she had in mind. Was wanting to move with me, but have her own room? Turns out she thinks I need another room for my toys. Smile Which I probably do.

Steve
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like BigDog, my wife (girlfriend at the time) is responsible for me getting back into LEGO. I was always a big Star Wars and LEGO fan, and fortunately for me, I didn't had the guts to throw away my LEGO collection from when I was young.

So when the first Star Wars LEGO sets were announced, I was really excited about it, and she knew it. Since I was living in a small town, she was the one who got me the original Landspeeder set as a gift.

Over the years, she's been tolerant about my LEGO addiction, even buying me a few sets each Christmas and Birthdays. But lately, she's been wondering when the madness will stop, especially when are finances aren't really good from time to time.

To ease the tension a little, I've recently cut down on my building time to clean up and re-arrange the second bedroom in our appartment. That way, instead of having LEGO bricks all over the floor in the living room, she can watch TV while I'm building in the other room.

But overall, I would say that my wife is very supportive, and I don't know if I could find someone who would tolerate me as she does.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: