FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BSG - late to the party...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: BSG - late to the party... Reply with quote

So, on a whim, I watched the reimagined Battlestar Galactica miniseries tonight and I was impressed, and the first couple episodes of season one are pretty good too... is the full series worth watching? I'd assume so, I know there are some fans in here who've tole me to watch it already. What's a good price on a DVD pack for the first season? Any suggestions on the best place to get it? I think I can afford to get hooked on another universe outside Star Wars and Firefly...
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can get hooked, simply because they're going to end it after the next season. They didn't want it to draw on forever, like some Sci-Fi series.

I've seen Season 1.5 go for about $25-30 before, so seems a good range.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, season 1.5? WTH does that mean? ::D:
Anakin Solo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its like one lot of 4 episodes on one DVD or something?
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. Season 1. Season 2 is split up into 2.0 and 2.5...

Originally, Season 1 was re-released as 1.5, with web-episodes included as a bridge between the two.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later into season 2, there are a couple of filler eipsodes, but I thought they were really well done.

I'm not sure what Battlestar Galactica: Razor is but I saw the spots on SciFi... I guess it's the spinoff series.
Anakin Solo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all go to Wal*Mart and buy Gillette Fusion Razors as apart of a corny advert Razz
Curtis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
Later into season 2, there are a couple of filler eipsodes, but I thought they were really well done.

I'm not sure what Battlestar Galactica: Razor is but I saw the spots on SciFi... I guess it's the spinoff series.

Don, don't read this if you're not up to season 2 yet. (I don't know how to make the text the same colour as the background so I had to use white, not that its a huge spoiler but I know I hate hearing/reading spoilers big or small about my favorite shows)

Razor is going to be more of a stand-alone type movie covering the story of Pegasus during the initial attacks, with other flashbacks I think, meaning Admiral Cain will be in it, and the other Pegasus characters, there are a ton of trailers for it on youtube if you want to check them out, and also some minisodes of young Adama during the first Cylon war

But anyway, its definitely an awesome show and very addictive, it has some very interesting plot lines with great characters, and if your into it, it also has some great soundtracks. I'v been rewatching my dvds of seasons one and two again while I've been building my Falcon and I am still picking up interesting little bits of info that I didn't notice the last time I watched, even though I've watched them many times in the past. So, yeah, definitely worth watching, especially if you can get the dvds for a reasonable price.

Oh, dWhisper, what exactly are those web-episodes you mentioned, we've only got seasons one and two here in Australia with nothing extra on them besides deleted scenes, not any of the 1.5's or 2.5's, are you talking about the webisodes between season two and three (the ones covering the occupation), or are there some between one and two that I'm not aware of?

Brickshelf Flickr MOCpages
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were web-only airings of small parts between episodes. On the DVD releases, I believe they were integrated into the full shows.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good guys, I should go out and get the first season because I've yet to be disinterested with the ones I can get online.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Yes you should. Now. What are you still doing here. GO!
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, I've just finished watching the entire first season and I did not expect it to end at all like that.
Seriously. Shocked <- =me a few minutes ago. How could they end a season like that?! I'm glad I wasn't watching this when it came out... I would die from the suspense of waiting until the next season.

I'd consider myself hooked. Great way to kill a weekend though. Wink
Curtis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
OK, well, I've just finished watching the entire first season and I did not expect it to end at all like that.
Seriously. Shocked <- =me a few minutes ago. How could they end a season like that?! I'm glad I wasn't watching this when it came out... I would die from the suspense of waiting until the next season.

I'd consider myself hooked. Great way to kill a weekend though. Wink

Haha, I was like that as well, the first episode I saw was one towards the end of season 2, I liked it so much I went out and bought season 1 on DVD, watched it over the weekend, then I was hooked, especially due to the ending, so I just had to go back to the shops the next day to pick up the season 2 DVD's.

Brickshelf Flickr MOCpages
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniseries rocked (I was impressed when they didn't wimp out on the daisy girl incident) and the first season was really good. I especially liked 33 because they pulled out the exhaustion of the crew and you could almost feel it.

later seasons start to wander and last year was very mediocre except for a couple of episodes. They tried to do way to much melodrama and mystic religious stuff that didn't always add up and frankly I got bored with it. I haven't had an opportunity to see how this season is shaping up though, hopefully since it is supposed to be the last they will get back to their roots and make it really fun to watch again.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm up to speed on seasons 1, 2, and 3 finally... and WOAH. Cheid? Tigh? Really? Shocked Kinda figured Starbuck... but the four with the song... wow. That was a great ending. Anyone know where to get that trippy version of Watchtower?
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes out on Tuesday... on the soundtrack CD...
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Goody...
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you BSG fans: There is another set of webisodes up now - new content - this will fill in some backstory before Razor is released. Razor Flashbacks. The site is currently auto-playing webisode #6 of 7. The last one will be posted next Friday night.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo... didn't know that.
Motate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I started watching BSG last month instead of following the series from the beginning. Season 3 ended last spring and the wait for Season 4 is annoying.

The web episodes are pretty good, especially the combat in part 3 and parachuting in part 4.

I've read good reviews for Razor. I got a pass to see it tonight at a movie theater. I hope it's good.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the BSG edition of Watchtower on Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_sHy9cVH0
Great trippy song, for a crazy ending to that season.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor was frakkin awesome. The focus on Pegasus let them tell a great story that was devoid of any the love quadrangle drama crap that nearly killed BSG for me last season. I missed most of the Galactica regulars, but honestly I think this side story was a shining example of how many stories can be told in this universe, and I loved it. There was great action (though admittedly not as much as the previews had led me to believe) and spacey fun all around. The acting was top notch from all the Pegasus folks we already knew, the Adamas, and the new girl (Kendra, pretty much the star of the movie.) There was humor. There was tense drama. There were flashbacks to the past and hints at things to come in the final season.

Oh, and there was definitely stuff there for old school fans of the original BSG. I won't spoil.

My one complaint is the severe lack of Chief in the movie. Wink

I recommend everyone catches it when it airs, and I'm seriously considering buying the extended DVD when it comes out next month (or asking for it for Christmas. It looks like there's a LOT that will be going back in, if the previews I saw for it is any indication (in addition to the webisodes that are airing right now that got cut from the broadcast edition of Razor.))
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Razor would hurry up and get here. The strike pretty much puts the air date of season 4.0 in limbo, so this is the first BSG since April and it's probably going to have to last us at least until late spring or early summer of 08. Before the strike, they were planning on an April 08 air date, but that's likely to get pushed back.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst out shopping today, I found the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica movie for a cheap 7. I decided to buy it for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I remember seeing bits of this film on a number of occassions (Christmas, Easter) when I was very young. Today, all I can remember is the Cylons with their flashing visors, cool suits & their spaceships and those pointy looking starfighters flown by the humans. I wanted to see all that again just to reboot those old memories that were lost long ago. Wink

Secondly, I'm intrigued and want to find out more about this old series. Why was it so great? Obviously I don't know, so what could be better than watching what started all the hype? To me, Battlestar Galactica was just another sci-fi "thing" in my opinion. The only thing I liked were the starfighters. Simply put, I just never got into it-> I was too young to gain interest. I remember those Sunday afternoons when repeats of the old TV series were shown on BBC2 but I never once watched a full episode. Rolling Eyes I was too much into Star Wars! Laughing Maybe I'll become a fan now? We'll wait and see. If I like this then maybe I'll like the new series that you've all been talking about in this thread.

Last edited by The Master Zombie on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Xiphos Systems

Location: Standing on a 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy-Duty Supercolliding Super Button

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Razor...pretty frakkin' awesome...I loved all the throwback cylon designs. I'm curious, though, as to what extra footage is on the extended, unrated (unrated, really? Not a word one usually associates with sci-fi shows Wink ) edition. My suitemate says he's probably going to buy that instead of watching it on tv, so I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

So, I guess it's just down to waiting all the way until March for season 4. *sigh* Smile

Xiphos Systems Experimental Engineering
The Best of the Rest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Razor thing last night...could someone please explain to me why Quiznos was spelling out such major plot lines as "Admiral Cain (a chick) did it with a cylon (also a chick)" and "You just saw a young Bill Adama finding out stuff...we're back to tell you that you just saw it. If you didn't catch what was going on, we're letting you know now." What the hell was all that about?

I liked it up to a point...old school cylons was a great idea, though I'm not sure if I liked how they were integrated into the plot. I'm still not completely buying into the "cylon hybrid" thing. They haven't taken the time to come up with an explanation on how or why (other than espionage, and that's becoming increasingly negated if they don't crank out some new human looking cylons soon) it happened and it's kind of a big element of the story up to this point.

I guess the reason I complain about this show so much and the reason I still watch it is because the mini-series really drew me in and I've been waiting for some kind of pay-off.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This knife look familiar to anyone in here? Cool
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MISSED THE BSG RAZOR! Evil or Very Mad Shocked

I'm so stupid, I forgot. Anyone know when it'll be on again?
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD release is December 4. Other than that, I'd check the official site for a schedule.

...checks schedule....

I don't see it listed on the schedule right now. If it helps any, I intentionally missed the show so I could watch it on DVD. Smile
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one hell of a bump. Laughing

Many people on here have said to me "You should check out BSG. Give it a go and see if you like it". These days, I don't have the time to get into yet another Sci-fi thing as I already have Doctor Who (pride & glory of the BBC Wink), Torchwood and Heroes. Work is very busy at the moment and I don't have time to watch alot of telly. I'm annoyed that I've missed all but episode 1 of Heroes: Season 3. Confused I miss it due to my current work schedule but I should be free on Wednesdays come next week. Smile

Anyway, today I found (in a bargain bin) Battlestar Gallactica: Razor. With it being reduced, I thought it was a good deal so I decided to buy it. I don't have time to watch it tonight but I will do tomorrow (hopefully). If I don't like it, I can always take it back and get a refund. Idea

Looking on Youtube, I found a video that gave a review of the last three seasons. It's delivered at fast-pace and is quite funny. I now know what to expect when I watch Razor -> I know what it will look like visually.

The video review can be found here and is helpful for BSG newbies like me. Smile

Three questions:
1. When is Razor set? Is it between Seasons 2 and 3?
2. Story-wise, is BSG "deeper" than Stargate?
3. What do you hardcore fans think of it? Does it sell BSG well to people who have never watched the modern series before?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: