FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pet Peeves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just list the one I feel strongest about.

~Public transit that DOES NOT RUN ON A FREAKIN SCHEDULE! It gets me every time. When I lived in Switzerland, everything ran like clockwork, and I guess that I'm just not adjusted, but in the USA, the subway/bus comes about 5 minutes after you need to be someplace. This happens a lot early on Saturday, which is when I'm out and about. [/rant]
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
Oh, I've got many, many. Most of the time I just ignore them, but yeah, there are some.

Let's see... people who can't grasp the basics of the English language, even though it's the only one they know.

People that replace words like are with r and you with u. THEY'RE THREE DAMN LETTERS EACH!

The fact that American sushi places in the midwest always put avocado in everything, because avocado is like the greasy discharge on taco night of the plant world.

People who complain about movies, shows, and music that is clearly not targeted at them. Read, Barney, Hanah Montana, or anything High School Musical. Seriously, if you're not an 8 year old girl, Disney is not targeting you.

Ads on the internet that get in the way of stuff I'm trying to read, resize my window, or play sound.

Hugh Grant.

People who hate a genre of music, but have clearly never heard it in anything but passing. Country and rap, specifically, but it applies across the board.

Republicans.

Candy Corn.

People who let their kids go nuts in public, scream and yell and say nothing, or play in the street. There are a few kids in my complex that are in serious need of some good, old-fashioned "bumper education" in that regard.

People who make a case for some cause or opinion without having done so much as a shred of looking into it, and what it means. Recycling for example... in some cases it's a good thing. In plenty of others, it's far more harmful than any sort of original manufacturing.

News reporting these days, that treat the dumbest things as news, and ignore most of the world.

Dark Ages beliefs that do not hold up in the modern world, and yet insist on messing up the lives of billions.

Oklahoma.

Fish Tacos.

Using the term "burger" in place of sandwich, when there's no dead cow involved. It's not a chicken burger, it's a chicken sandwich.

Internet drama.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I put some thought into it.

^Seconded. Thanks for saving me the trouble, dWhisper.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
...those people who wear pants so that you can see their underwear. Hm, wearing your dad's pants that he wore on Thanksgiving, from before he went on his diet... I'm surprised that was accepted as a fad... Mad

I hated that for a long time until someone tried stealing a jacket out of my shop. He was running down the street like a friggin’ penguin. At no point did it occur to this loser to pull his britches up. Right when I caught up to him his pants came down. I just helped his face meet the pavement a little quicker when he fell. I was ready to pound this guy when a police car pulled up. When I was explaining the situation to the police, I realized all of a sudden, “Thank God this piece of crap doesn’t know how to wear his clothes.” The cops and I had a good laugh at the suspect’s expense, by just saying joke after joke about this guy’s choice belt level.

The moral of the story: If you’re a thief… keep them pants nice and low; then I don’t have to run so hard to catch you.
The Department of Redundancy Department
JSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worse if you know what the fad started as.
I do, it makes me want to laugh, but at the same time, I have to wonder why it would catch on...
zombieprongs
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSM wrote:
Its worse if you know what the fad started as.

Which was?
JSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm available" + prison

Makes you wonder how it caught on.

(I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard)
Zombie147
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
People who complain about movies, shows, and music that is clearly not targeted at them. Read, Barney, Hanah Montana, or anything High School Musical. Seriously, if you're not an 8 year old girl, Disney is not targeting you.

Republicans.

Exactly. People are especially bad about High School Musical. Is it an accurate depiction of regular teenagers? No, but who cares, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Also people who actually say OMG. It's the same amount of syllables as saying "Oh my God" or "Oh my gosh" so there's no excuse. To me it just makes you sound dumb.
Lego Apple

Location: Behind the Mayonaise, to the left of the coleslaw, right of the potato salad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 1

* Chihuahuas

* When you walk into a coat store and it smells like leather and their is music from the 60's playing

* When you are on the highway and people are going 20mph on the road
when the limit is 75:evil:

*Velcro

* Fingertips on the chalkboard creating that dreaded noise

* Men that go to work in their pajamas (like my neighbor)

* People that think they are always right when they are usually wrong

* Potholes in the road

* Road construction that delays traffic when all that looks like is happening is a bunch of road workers sitting around eating donuts

* People who talk with their mouth full

*Chihuahuas wearing sweaters

*Fingerprint smudges

* Forgetting something
and many more.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who want to discuss politics because they have such a ridiculously opinionated view that it is not in fact a discussion but really an unwelcome lecture. This is really annoying when the person quickly reveals to be totally ignorant in said subject but has been so brainwashed by whatever that the person is absolutely sure that said person is right.

Same as above, but replace the word "politics" with any other word.

People who stand around and chit chat in a high traffic area, completely oblivious to the fact that people (namely me) want to get somewhere.

People who assume everyone else around them are also fans of their terrible music, and therefore must want to hear said music at high levels.

Loud, obnoxious people. "Sassy," if you will.

When electronics don't work and you can't for the life of you figure out why or how to fix it.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
DaZombie2007
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSM wrote:
"I'm available" + prison

Hahaha I have heard that to, so if you go to prison keep them pants up and don't drop the soap.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris36 wrote:
'fanboys'

You're kidding right?

Crying or Very sad
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part I (Copying Lego Apple here):

People who mess up on their BBCode in their posts and don't bother to fix it.

Family Circus. If you want your comic to be cute and sentimental, put it in a Hallmark Card.

YouTube's screwed-up Copyright policy

Computer teachers who give assignments that just use word documents on a daily basis. We're here to learn other things too.

iratefanboy345

People who think that Johnny Depp is the greatest Sweeney Todd ever, and fail to see the greatness of George Hearn (I kid. A little).

People who put "jk haha" after every joke they make online.

People who fail to appreciate something purely because of its age.

The person who made up "i before e except after c" and every single other damn spelling and grammar rule out there. I'm going to spell "freind" just like that, and you can't stop me!

People who still have not seen Psycho, Star Wars, Citizen Kane, or pretty much any Disney classic (You haven't seen Snow White? Come on!).

People who argue "The movie's obviously not a classic if I haven't seen it!"

Children's movie's directors who beleive that children's movies are made exclusively to children and cannot be enjoyed by any other age group.

People who think that Song of the South is racist.

People who, after telling them your pet peeves, almost immediately set out and do it.

People who say they hate something purely because they know you like it.

The video game violence activists. It's not like I have a problem with them, it's just that they always seem to choose the wrong game as an example (Case in point: Death Race and Night Trap).

People who think that LEGOs are a kids toy and have no use whatsoever to anyone over the age of 10.

Educational games excluding Carmen Sandiego.

Whoever the person is that keeps screwing up all the video game adaptations. Besides Uwe Boll. I already know he sucks.

People who think cursing makes them cool and thus procede to drop the "f" word after every other word.

People who call the "f" word the "f" word or the "f" bomb (Yeah, I know that includes me, deal with it).

Movies that aren't available for review, a sign that the makers don't have the guts to hear what people think of it.

I think I should stop a little for now.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSM wrote:
"I'm available" + prison

I think it was because they didn't allow belts in prisons so naturally pants were lower than waists.
JSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, but I like my version better, it just makes the whole fad more laughable.

Besides, don't they wear like, jumpsuits or something in prison?
On second thought, I think the whole thing may be a myth, a funny myth, but a myth.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now think to yourself...if they did, how could your guess be right? I think this started back in the 70's anyway.
Yesh the Gearhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here goes.

Trophy Wives. Top of the list. The platinum hair, the jogging suit, the sunglasses, whatever. Just so irritating and look so elitist.

Bros. These at least are fun to laugh and make fun of. Some of the dumbest individuals with the most ridiculous fashion (which verges on a uniform: black and white, tall socks, big shoes, long shorts, a T or tank top always, and Arnette sunglasses). And their music is horrible

Both of these groups are plentiful in Southern California, so it's not really easy to get around.

This is one I had to give it's own term. "Faceboothing". The process of getting a brand new Macbook or Mac desktop, and gathering all your friends for a rousing time of Photobooth. However, droves of people feel the need to upload whole folders of these pictures to their facebook, myspace etc. I have seen this like half a dozen times from people that I know, alone. Real repetitive.

And sorry to say, people who complain about the new facebook irritate me, too.

People that spell "turrets" with an n: "turrents".

Family Circus is pretty bad

I don't really like cats.

Songs that get by on the overused "worship chord" progression. On a similar note, mainstream rock.

Mainstream media

People who don't understand satire, sarcasm, or irony.

People who mis-respresent Christianity. It's always the wackos on TV or other places.

Sweatpants (or shorts) with writing on the seat of them.

This one isn't too bad, but fanboys in the music instrument industry (i.e. Fender suxx!!1!). I used to do this, but it's really pointless.

How virtually everyone in Star Wars is a great pilot. Except for Yoda and Palpy, pretty much all of the main characters are shown as spectacular pilots. there aren't any ugly human women in Star Wars either, as if they don't exist, or something.

Generic Star Wars backstories for fan characters (rogue jedi, Order 66 survivor, rogue clone/stormtrooper, bountyhunter/sith/mandalorian, etc.)

Lightsabers, not lifesavers.

People who beat Monty Python and the Holy Grail to death by quoting it all the time.

People who comment on youtube. xkcd has some excellent solutions to this, however, haha.

Twilight, High School Musical 3, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers... all those, and their overbearing fans.

Dressing animals.

The "human wall" one some of you mentioned.

People who stand too close to you, and when you back up, they follow. fun thing to do with this is to track elapsed distance from slowly backing up, say, during a lunch period.

That's most of them, a pretty long list. I'm not as pessimistic as I sound. I just know what I like, and know what I don't. Very Happy
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 1: The Internet
People who use the word noob, newb, n00B, or any variation.
Seriously.

Close-minded people.

Part 2: School
Staters o' the OBVIOUS.

People who do not understand easy Algebra II logic, yet are in the "accelerated" class.

People who sign up for Advanced Placement classes just to beep and moan about them.
I'll summarize the mindset of some of these kids that so tick me off:
"Oh my God, I got soooooo much to study for, I'm soooo gonna fail the test, though I probably will get a A on the next test. But still, I'm soooooo P.O.'d that my mom is like, mad at me 'cause I'm not gonna go to, like, Harvard. I'm like, mooooom, i'm jus' gonna go to U of M. It's in state and I know me and alll my smaaaaart high schooool chums are gonna make it in. Because it's soooooo easy to get into U of M when you have such an enriching AP lifestyle like myself.... Ughh, I sooooo not gonna study for the SAT because Michigan only cares about your ACT. Ughh." Rolling Eyes
(Plus, whoever said University of Michigan (just because one lives in Michigan) is easy to get into?)

People who hang with nonconformists to be a nonconformist but by that are actually conformists. (as described in Emerson's "Self Reliance") Wink

Part 3
That guy called Masta' Bo is a real problem, also.

I pretty much agree with dWhisper, also, I'd just rather not quote his huge post. Wink

Last edited by Zombsta' Bo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
JSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Now think to yourself...if they did, how could your guess be right? I think this started back in the 70's anyway.

Yeah, that's what got me doubting it.
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of juicy peeves here, but I haven't seen one that most likely is in the mind of many non-American members (me included)..

The United States of America - the country and the population.

I'm quite sick with some yankee junk that exists there; for example, it seems that 95% of the ignorant Internet fools are all from US. The attitude of some Americans bugs me, too, like "America is the greatest country ever", "We're the center of the universe" and the "America as the world police" attitude.

In addition, American politics, elections and the "democracy". I have had some hard time trying to figure out which is actually more democratic - USA or Russia.

And last - but certainly not least - the American lifestyle, the environment killer. I remember seeing a pic/video of demolition derby on Flickr the other day and thought "Man, do those actually exist? Now that's some serious waste.."
Speaking of motor sports (which I diskile in general), what the heck is the point with NASCAR? F1 has at least some bends, but in NASCAR they're just making the left freakin' turn all the time.

There, I said it, please don't kill me for it. I could have said even more, but I reckon that - on a mostly-American forum - it wouldn't be that wise, even though my thoughts are valid with just some of the American citizens. Razz
Olog
Ambassadargh!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Shopping malls and the people there.
-People that get offended if you make a slight joke about them. And I'm not the rude kind of person either.
-Lying just to make to other person feel good.
-Outrageous prices for Lego in Romania.
-Lack of community spirit with fans of Lego from Romania.
-People on the bus, that sit down on the outer seat of the two-row seats, not letting anyone sit down next to them.
-Dentists.
-People in Romania trying to copy Americans and their lifestyle.
-Ignorance.
-People who say they don't like certain animals. Can you even imagine how ridiculous that is?
-People too proud to admit they are wrong.
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn, what about people who cuss just because it's been around them so much they just do it without thinking, and not to be cool.

Galagoo, I live you for saying that.

Anyone who types anything other than LEGO. I'm sure I've done it a few times, but I just find it annoying when people say Legoes or Legos or Lego or lego, instead of LEGO.

Bus drivers

People who sharpie up a minifig and call it custom

The 5000 inactive members on this forum

Don hasn't yet been found innocent just from his good looks and sweeping hair alone

My laptop

The whole Mac/ PC thing

People who lecture about how great the PS3 and PSP are. Firstly, I know they're not, secondly, I don't actually care all that much.

This one guy that keeps telling me XBOX controls are easier and simpler than W, A, S and D.

How much I suck at the second to last Soviet mission on RA2

One of the plot points of the new James Bond film has already been ruined for me because of stuff in the papers. It just showed a picture of this person in the street, shopping or whatever, and then BAM, what happens to them.

TopGear doesn't run for longer in the year, it's got to be he best 'factual' show ever

The Simpsons is on channel 4, rather than BBC2, so there's an add break. It's been like this for years, but I proffered it without an add break. And speaking of the Simpsons, when the heck are we going to get the new episodes. I swear we're like 10 series behind America.

I think I'm getting a cold

You know this thread is quite a nice place to vent

Did I mention I hate bus drivers....?
JSM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galagoo wrote:
There have been lots of juicy peeves here, but I haven't seen one that most likely is in the mind of many non-American members (me included)..

I'm quite sick with some yankee junk that exists there; for example, it seems that 95% of the ignorant Internet fools are all from US. The attitude of some Americans bugs me, too, like "America is the greatest country ever", "We're the center of the universe" and the "America as the world police" attitude.

In addition, American politics, elections and the "democracy". I have had some hard time trying to figure out which is actually more democratic - USA or Russia.

And last - but certainly not least - the American lifestyle, the environment killer. I remember seeing a pic/video of demolition derby on Flickr the other day and thought "Man, do those actually exist? Now that's some serious waste.."
Speaking of motor sports (which I diskile in general), what the heck is the point with NASCAR? F1 has at least some bends, but in NASCAR they're just making the left freakin' turn all the time.

There, I said it, please don't kill me for it. I could have said even more, but I reckon that - on a mostly-American forum - it wouldn't be that wise, even though my thoughts are valid with just some of the American citizens. Razz

Wow, where to begin?
1. Everyone hates NASCAR. everyone.
2. American politics suck.
3. you have yet to experience this 'green' craze.
4. Demo-derby... they exist, but they don't happen often.
5. As for being the world police, give us some slack, everyone hates us, so we need to make ourselves think we are important.

I don't like America any more than you, I just live here.
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. So it's OK to bash Americans, but not Canadians. Gotcha.

Galagoo, your comments are rude and focus solely on the worst of American culture. Every country has problems, even yours. Spouting off about America and Americans like this is childish. If you want to poke fun at us for our problems, fine - we have plenty. But to denounce the country as a whole and all of us living here... not cool.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Flynn, what about people who cuss just because it's been around them so much they just do it without thinking, and not to be cool.

I'm fine with that, I just get peeved when it's used much to often in just one sentence.

("And I ******' was like, "**** that ****, man, I don't ******' need no ******' badges!" or the like)
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galagoo wrote:

Even as an an American, I find myself agreeing. Most of what the US does can disgust me at times. Iraq was a bad idea, the elections have been downgraded to a contest of who can throw the most slime, etc...
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when Jake posts. That's just annoying

Razz
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macs in general, and macs with no right-click button. WHY?!?!? This is the 21st century, there should be a left and right mouse button on EVRY single mouse.

Wannabe gangsters

Real gangsters

Rappers

A modded car which is nothing more than a hatchback painted a nasty colour with oversized wheels and exhaust.

People whose pride won't allow them to bow out of an argument they've obviously lost, yet they refuse to accept it.

Most customs officials. Smile, welcome me to your country. You've checked my passport, I'm allowed to be here, I'm not going to kill you..

People who talk so loudly on a phone that I can hear them clearly through a wall.

People who, when excited, scream so loudly and high-pitched that it is actually painful.

People who take it upon themselves to educate you in something you really aren't interested in.

EDIT: Spock, shush. Razz
JSM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H3D1 wrote:
Galagoo wrote:

Even as an an American, I find myself agreeing. Most of what the US does can disgust me at times. Iraq was a bad idea, the elections have been downgraded to a contest of who can throw the most slime, etc...

True, the elections are a joke, it's not really about the issues as much as it is about who can dig up the most dirt on their opponent.

But it is true, you only focused on all of our worst traits, that's hardly fair.

Edit: Wow Commander Jake, I agree with every single thing on that list.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People telling me that my college essay doesn't make sense.

Makes sense to me! Razz *grumble*

I hate college essays. Evil or Very Mad
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc wrote:
Huh. So it's OK to bash Americans, but not Canadians. Gotcha.

Galagoo, your comments are rude and focus solely on the worst of American culture. Every country has problems, even yours. Spouting off about America and Americans like this is childish. If you want to poke fun at us for our problems, fine - we have plenty.

1. I thought - since the name of the thread is "pet peeves" - that it would be a proper thing just to name things that annoy you and give examples of them (that's what everyone at least seems to be doing), instead of a more analysis-style lecture with also the things that don't annoy you (which nobody seems to be doing, really).

2. Granted, though, my language could have been quite a bit more subtle. My apologies is any feelings were hurt.

3. You take things waay too serious, mate. Wink

knapplc wrote:
But to denounce the country as a whole and all of us living here... not cool.
In my original post I wrote:
even though my thoughts are valid with just some of the American citizens. Razz

No offense, but you could read posts more carefully, too.. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: