FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Knight movie thread (beware of spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Yuhas wrote:
1. I know a lot of people don't like that animated show The Batman, but I thought The Riddler was really cool in that, even if he looked just like Marilyn Manson.

2. I think they could do The Riddler a lot like that, but make him look different. maybe put him in a green suit with glasses and stuff. Make him look like a nerd, but a cool looking nerd. I just don't want a funny, cheesy Riddler like in Batman Forever or in the 60's show.

1. Unless I'm mistaken and it has already been fully shown on some cable network for kids, The Batman is fairly new in the UK (isn't it on Series 5 in the USA now?! We're so behind!), Series 1 has only just come out on DVD. I really like it. I've never seen an episode with The Riddler in it (when does he come along?) so the villain who I like the most has got to be The Joker. Yes, he has a wild appearance but the way he talks is genius.

Arkham Asylum - The Ventriloquist (Arnold Wesker) attends therapy.
Other villains are present, including The Penguin and The Joker.

Professor Strange - "I want you all to listen to the voice in your head, your inner self. Listen to what it says from deep within your mind."

The Joker - "That's odd, I don't hear anything! Must be a mime."
Laughing

I loved that bit and laughed so much. Mr. Green

2. My definition of The Riddler is that of Batman Forever. Clever and comical. It worked very well with Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face and the two of them made such a great crime duo. How is The Riddler portrayed in the comics? Is he supposed to be more sinister? If he is in a future Batman film, I hope the character is done justice.
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W000000000T Two-Face dies, that is a good thing to me, since I don't want him to come back, not that Aaron Eckert didn't do a great job, I just don't like Two-Face in general, and wouldn't have liked a movie dedicated to him as the villian

But anyway, so I just saw The Dark Knight for the second time today, and it allowed me to look deeper into the film, since I new what would happen, I was distracted by all the suspence. And I made sure to really watch Mr.Reese closely this time...

Spoilers!!! Ahead
-------------------------
Lots of text ahead, but please read...

So in the film, I noticed lots of things I didn't notice the first time around, and alot of it was Mr.Reese. That he seems very likely to be the Riddler, the way he approaches every thing in the film just makes him seem perfect for it. And also, he is almost obsessed with finding out who Batman really is, and that is what Riddler has always tried to do. And also, I notice a few physical jesters toward Batman from Mr.Reese, that just seemed interesting to me.

And I find it interesting how he says he will Blackmail Batman, and that could be done in a series of Riddles, and I think he will do this in the next film, it just seems so well done to me. He goes on TV, wanting to reveal the identity of Batman, and thats what Riddler has always tried to do, find our who Batman is. I am so so so for Riddler in the next film, and since Two-Face is dead, we don't have to worry about the already done Riddler/Two-Face combo, and can be ALL about the Riddler, and of course another miner villian, which I really don't have a clue who, but would still like the Killer Croc, he seems so perfect for it, and hasn't been done yet.

Also, something I thought of, maybe Mr.Reese would change his name, maybe people are still trying to kill him, because it is his fault, in there eyes, for the destruction of the hospital, and they want revenge for some reason. He may change it to Edward Nigma. It all seems very probable.

So I would like to know others opinions on the things I mentioned.
----------------------------------------

Spoilers end here

I think some people should see it again, it really helps you look into the movie even better.

Last edited by thrasher zombie on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedaho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info about Harvey's death isn't surprising. We did see Gordon giving an eulogy about how Harvey was not the "hero gotham deserved but the one it needed" when batman takes the blame for his murders.

I[lllllll]EEE[]l/=====================
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it for the fourth time.

no real spoilers ahead, but stuff from the movie is mentioned

begin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, really, really like the soundtrack. And the use of volume - the shocking difference from speaking to shouting (especially the Joker in the home video), and the silence during Harvey's pivotal scene.

I love the music when the pod is unleashed - still sends chills up my spine, it's such an awesome little scene. And that one shot of the batmobile zooming by kids' car - that shot sells the realism to me for some reason. That one shot.

And then the ending monologue and montage, culminating with the title... damn. It doesn't get better than that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
end

I would be disappointed if there were no Batman 3, but I would be even more disappointed if there were a Batman 3 that didn't live up to The Dark Knight. I'm skeptical it can be topped. This is seriously one movie I can find almost no fault in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blacknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedd the Jedi wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble gentlemen, but there alot of people saying there won't be a third Nolan Batman flick.

With the money this movie is making and the cliffhanger ending, there will be another movie. And another. Until, just like the Tim Burton series before it, the current public interest in Batman fades again as the movies descend into diminishing returns. The Hollywood CEOs are literally salivating right now at the prospect of all the money that can be made from at least 2 more sequels minimum. Whether Nolan agrees to be on board or not, they will be made. And they will probably be weaker movies each time, just like the Pirates of the Carribean or Spiderman series. The scriptwriters have quite deliberately refrained from killing off the major villains so far, and the only reason for this is more sequels.
zombieprongs
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw TDK at the IMAX yesterday. Astounding stuff, especially on the IMAX screen. Hopefully seeing it again tonight (only regular cinema this time). And Ed, a few pages back you said tickets for the IMAX cost $25. Mine cost £6 - £8. Smile
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$25 = ~£12.50
It turned out to be just under £11 without a student card. I don't care though, as this film was perfect, emotionally wrecking, and a fantastic last bow towards Ledger. He and Eckhart gave performances which I think are both Oscar worthy. This film was truly phenomenal and I can't wait to see it again. Nolan is a genius, and worked magic all over this film. Everything from The Jokers' magic trick to 'new scars', Harveys' dedication and purpose to his madness. It was all wonderful, and the only negative point I could possibly make about this film (apart from Rachels' death) is that I left the cinema with an extremely numb patootie. I'm not complaining about the length, that's fine with me, but the seats aren't all that comfy Smile
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good report about The Dark Knight on the BBC News website. Smile
Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7518884.stm
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what I've said earlier, I do sincerely hope there will be a third film. The cliffhanger ending makes me suspect the next movie will revolve mostly around the police hunting Batman down-which I hope isn't the case, as the first movie featured alot of that. It would be interesting if the Riddler was unknowingly in the police's employ, furiously figuring out the identity of the Batman while torturing the city with treacherous riddles. A blackmail plot would tie in oh so very nicely.

I mentioned this earlier, but nobody seems to have picked up on it, so I'll repeat myself if that's okay. The trailer for a Punisher reboot named Punisher: War Zone is out. I'm quite disappointed with it: it's full of ridiculous slo-mo explosions and even a scene in which the Punisher shoots baddies while hanging upside down from a chandelier. I know. When will moviemakers learn that slo-mo John Woo-style gunplay doesn't work with everything, and definitely not the Punisher? I liked Thomas Jane alot and don't have a problem with Ray Stevenson (the new guy), but really the Punisher has always been a gritty, grim character, and the overt use of flamboyant shoot 'em up work really has the trailer making me expect lower than low.

><>
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the Dark Knight last night and wow. The whole thing was just amazing and I loved how some things were really shocking (Gordon's 'Death'). Coming out, I was surprised it was a 12A - the final scene with Two-Face almost shooting himself/Gordon's kid could easy scar a child.

Aside from the 'magic pen' trick, the funniest part of the evening, however, had to be when Harvey was in the hospital and pulled his bandages off, revealing some of his face. My friend (who knows nothing about Batman) exclaimed 'He's Scarface.' Sadly, he actually thought he was right.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think also the part where the Hung police officer hits the window of the mayor's office might also scar some kid's. And possibly just Two-face's face in general.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it Thursday night with some friends-- it sounds like I'm the only one who doesn't think it's god's gift to moviegoers? Wink

Initial impressions:

- First one had much better atmosphere. Batman in BB felt like he lurked in the shadows quite a bit, which was nice. In this one the first time we see him, he's fully lit by fluorescent lights in a parking garage, and there are several other instances of him just walking around in bright lights like some normal person. Dunno, it just didn't seem very superheroy compared to the first one.

- I'm not sure why, but Gotham this time around seemed more like a normal New York-esque city than the dark, atmospheric "character" it was in the first one. Gotham in BB seemed more surreal; this time around it came across as any old metropolitan area, for some reason.

- TDK had strange, choppy editing throughout. I can't quite put my finger on a particular instance, but all in all it just seemed a lot less smoother-flowing than the first one. The several instances of cross-cutting between a few scenes happening at once just didn't work for me, either.

- It was way too long, with too much "stuff" going on-- seems a bit bloated. The last half hour or so was really exciting but the rest (for me) seemed to drag.

- The Joker was a lot better character than I was expecting, based off the previews. Heath's nasal voice didn't bother me as much as I thought it would; the character was a brilliant study in a crazy mofo.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you're coming from, m19.

I think the reason why people love TDK so much is because of the great acting, and the many awesome things in the movie eclipse some of the bad parts you mentioned.

TDK was hard to follow, but at the same time, it kept my brain busy, trying to connect all the events that were happening and trying to make sense of it. Editing depends on your style, I guess.

And the city...while I would have liked an extremely dark, scary city for Gotham, Chicago was a realistic enough alternative. BB's Gotham city seemed surreal because of that futuristic train system.

TDK has its flaws, but it's an impressive movie all the same Smile

『 <3 』
Rs Conqueror
Fancies Mudkips

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregarding the last 32 pages of discussion (I don't have time to read that, not lurking moar etc...)
The Dark Knight is the finest film of our generation. period.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacho wrote:
TDK was hard to follow, but at the same time, it kept my brain busy, trying to connect all the events that were happening and trying to make sense of it.

Aside from the bit when Wayne attacked Harvey, the plot was easy to get and because of that, it didn't feel long.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
- It was way too long, with too much "stuff" going on-- seems a bit bloated. The last half hour or so was really exciting but the rest (for me) seemed to drag.

Funny because the guy working at the theater said to me, his only complaint was "It's not long enough" Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Begins centered itself around Arkham and the slums, and all the shadowy places of the world. Dark Knight brought the fight out into the rest of the city.

If there's a third one, it'll be back into the shadows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you're coming from about the slums and Arkham. My Dad had the same comment, that Batman was spending too much time in the city. But, as established in Batman Begins, Gotham is divided into two parts, with Arkham and most of the slummy places on the other. This is especially evident at the end, with the bridge-raising incident. In the last movie, the villains Batman was hunting down mostly lurked in the shadows, including Ra's, the mobsters at the docks and of course the Scarecrow. However, the Joker is more of a fully-blown terrorist, and operates very much in the more presentable parts of Gotham City. The art direction is by the same person (Nathan Crowley), who also designed the Batmobile and Batpod. Still, I would have liked to see a bit more of darkness in a movie that is, after all, called The Dark Knight.

My Literature teacher (who is a big comic book movie film buff) also had the same comment about the choppy editing, which was his main beef with the film. For example, when Batman jumps after Rachel during the party, what happens to the Joker? and so on. It didn't bother me much during the film, but when I think of it now I might agree a little.

For me, it was the last half hour that seemed out of place. Early speculation had Two-Face appearing only in the following film (assuming that one is planned), which I would have much preferred. I'd rather the movie end after the two bombs the Joker had planted to kill Harvey and Rachel go off, then cap immediately with a final confrontation of sorts where the Joker is either captured or killed. Then, we have one look at the now-deformed Harvey Dent in hospital as a teaser for the next film.

The interesting plot with all of the Joker's intricate double-cross schemes and the in-depth character studies worked just well. In my review earlier on, I said that The Dark Knight was more of a crime movie/action-thriller as opposed to a comic book film. Most recent comic book movies (The Incredible Hulk is one example) contain great action and all but see far too linear in plot. The way The Dark Knight bucks the trend was very refreshing in my opinion.

><>
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! I hate it when magazines let kids do reviews. This little fat child (probably 12 years old, pictured sitting in a big chair) went and saw TDK at a special screening. From his little throne, he gave a brief review after talking about the actors and the story.

Mr.I'm the final word on this film and the entire Batman series wrote:
To sum up then, The Dark Knight is a satisfying sequel to Nolan's 2005 reboot Batman Begins. While this film is full of action and is much better than the very disappointing Batman Begins, it's downfall is the pace of the story. It's too fast to follow at times. However this is made up by the superb acting of Ledger and Bale. Their on-screen relationship is intense. Far more so than when Batman met Mr.Freeze in Batman & Robin. This film is darker than Batman Forever and Batman & Robin which were aimed at children. Emotions play a big part in The Dark Knight. Hatred, love and power form the foundations of this summer's blockbuster.

Rated 12A, I wouldn't advise this film for anyone under 10 as it is certainly very sinister. Before the final cut, this film was a 15 because of some quite nasty bits involving The Joker killing people. These scenes will be featured in a future DVD release titled The Dark Knight - Director's Cut.

OMG, I am so eager to make a complaint about him. He's so inaccurate! Mad How can he call Batman Begins very disappointing? Evil or Very Mad Oh, and then he goes and mentions Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. You can't bring those films into discussion here! It's just not meant to be! Rolling Eyes I don't know why he mentioned Mr.Freeze. Confused In fact, he shouldn't even think about the previous films as Nolan's are a totally different take on the story of Bruce Wayne & Batman. Idea
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: TDK Reply with quote

I thought this movie was very well done. I do remember back to those previous Batman movies (pre BB) and just how poor they were. This movie has a lot going for it.

I'm unsure on a sequel and who best the villan could be. Some of my favorite Batman comics involved Bane. But I preferred these as it developed the story line around Batman dealing with who he is and changes after losing Robin (Jason Todd). It's unfortunate that they couldn't develop a movie around this style of plot.

I am a little disappointed that Robin doesn't make it into the films, but I do understand that this could put too much into a 2 - 2.5 hour storyline.
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a break from The Dark Knight, I saw WALL E last night, and I really loved it. Pixar's best film to date.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:
Argh! I hate it when magazines let kids do reviews. This little fat child (probably 12 years old, pictured sitting in a big chair) went and saw TDK at a special screening. From his little throne, he gave a brief review after talking about the actors and the story.

To sum up then, The Dark Knight is a satisfying sequel to Nolan's 2005 reboot Batman Begins. While this film is full of action and is much better than the very disappointing Batman Begins, it's downfall is the pace of the story. It's too fast to follow at times. However this is made up by the superb acting of Ledger and Bale. Their on-screen relationship is intense. Far more so than when Batman met Mr.Freeze in Batman & Robin. This film is darker than Batman Forever and Batman & Robin which were aimed at children. Emotions play a big part in The Dark Knight. Hatred, love and power form the foundations of this summer's blockbuster.

Rated 12A, I wouldn't advise this film for anyone under 10 as it is certainly very sinister. Before the final cut, this film was a 15 because of some quite nasty bits involving The Joker killing people. These scenes will be featured in a future DVD release titled The Dark Knight - Director's Cut.

OMG, I am so eager to make a complaint about him. He's so inaccurate! Mad How can he call Batman Begins very disappointing? Evil or Very Mad Oh, and then he goes and mentions Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. You can't bring those films into discussion here! It's just not meant to be! Rolling Eyes I don't know why he mentioned Mr.Freeze. Confused In fact, he shouldn't even think about the previous films as Nolan's are a totally different take on the story of Bruce Wayne & Batman. Idea

I believe you're overreacting. Everyone didn't love Batman Begins.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:

Calling Batman Begins diapointing isn't inaccurate, it's an opinion. I liked the film, personally, but it had a lot of slow parts, which may bore pompus brats like this one. However, I don't quite understand comparing the Batman/Joker relationship to, of all the villains in the other films, Batman/Mr. Freeze. There's suppsosed to be a "relationship" of sorts with some Batman villains (I.E Joker, Catwoman, ect.) but certaintly not Mr. Freeze. In fact, it sounds to me like this kid hasn't seen any other Batman film besides the two Schumacher films and Begins (What's worse, it sounds like he liked the Schumacher films. *Shudder*). Also, the last paragraph is extremely pompous and somewhat condescending, as it sounds like he thinks that people much older than him actually care about his opinion. His sentence fluency also sucks, if you haven't noticed. Most of the senctences are choppy and just don't flow well together. I, like you, The Master, also hate it when they allow kids (12 and under) to review movies, as many times, they have no clue what's going on and just try to sound like they do.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedd the Jedi wrote:
My Literature teacher (who is a big comic book movie film buff) also had the same comment about the choppy editing, which was his main beef with the film. For example, when Batman jumps after Rachel during the party, what happens to the Joker?

He runs away. You could ask the same question, what happens to the joker after he leaves the mob meeting at the beginning. When I think of the choppy editing, I think of the jarring lack of transition between one scene to another I can't remember off the top of my head, but in a couple places the scene just cut to another as if a second or two of film and soundtrack had been cut off.

Probably just a theater thing, because I remember a Harry Potter movie had the same problem and it didn't appear on the DVD.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Everyone didn't love Batman Begins.

What was wrong with it then? Question I'm just curious, that's all. Neutral
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently some movie critics in the US have been getting loads of hate mail from fans for giving the film anything less than 5 stars. hehe. I find that funny. Smile
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:

Well, at least his command of English is better than that of most 12-year-olds. To be honest, I've been writing movie reviews (albeit not professionally) since I was about that age. While it also seems very disturbing to me that he seems to have enjoyed Schumacher's embarassments, I will agree that I don't encourage under-10s to watch the Dark Knight. As for the hate mail, well I gave it five stars in my review some pages back! The same Literature teacher I was talking about earlier doesn't quite agree and preferred Batman Begins. Batman Begins was defintely not a disappointment-not in the very least. The Dark Knight tops it, but there are still many instances in Batman Begins which I find superior.

><>
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Everyone didn't love Batman Begins.

What was wrong with it then? Question I'm just curious, that's all. Neutral

Reviews (good and bad) taken from Wikipedia:

Reviews
Based on 247 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, Batman Begins received an average 84% overall approval rating;[43] the film was more balanced with the 40 critics in Rotten Tomatoes' "Cream of the Crop", which consists of popular and notable critics from the top newspapers, websites, television and radio programs,[44] receiving a 63% approval rating.[45] By comparison, Metacritic calculated an average score of 70 from the 41 reviews it collected.[46] Common criticism focused on the realism behind the character, and certain character portrayals that hindered the film. There was dissension over Nolan's ability to create a complex character and Bale's ability to portray that character.[citation needed]

James Berardinelli applauded Nolan and Goyer's work creating more understanding into "who [Batman] is and what motivates him", something Berardinelli felt Tim Burton's film lacked; at the same time, Berardinelli felt the romantic aspect between Bale and Holmes did not work because the actors lacked the chemistry Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder (Superman), or Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man) shared in their respective roles.[47] According to Total Film, Nolan manages to create such strong characters and story that the third-act action sequences cannot compare to " the frisson of two people talking", and Katie Holmes and Christian Bale's romantic subplot has a spark "refreshingly free of Peter Parker/Mary Jane-style whining".[48]

Los Angeles Times' Kenneth Turan, who felt the film began slowly, stated that the "story, psychology and reality, not special effects", assisted the darkness behind Batman's arsenal; he noted that Neeson and Holmes, unlike Bale's ability to "feel his role in his bones", do not appear to fit their respective characters in "being both comic-book archetypes and real people".[49] The New Yorker's David Denby did not share Berardinelli and Turan's opinion. He was unimpressed with the film, when comparing it to the two Tim Burton films, and that Christian Bale's presence was hindered by the "dull earnestness of the screenplay", the final climax was "cheesy and unexciting", and that Nolan had resorting to imitating the "fakery" used by other filmmakers when filming action sequences.[50]

Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune believed Nolan and Miller managed to "comfortably mix the tormented drama and revenge motifs with light hearted gags and comic book allusions", and that Nolan takes the series out of the "slam-bang Hollywood jokefests" the franchise had drifted into.[51] Comic book scribe and editor Dennis O'Neil stated that he "felt the filmmakers really understood the character they were translating", citing this film as the best of the live-action Batman films.[52] In contrast, J.R. Jones, from the Chicago Reader, criticized the script, and Nolan and David Goyer for not living up to the "hype about exploring Batman's damaged psyche".[53] Roger Ebert, who gave mixed reviews to the previous films, wrote this was "the Batman movie I've been waiting for; more correctly, this is the movie I did not realize I was waiting for". Giving it four out of four stars, he commended the realistic portrayals of the Batman arsenal—the Batsuit, Batcave, Batmobile, and the Batsignal—as well as the focus on "the story and character" with less stress on "high-tech action".[54]

Like Berardinelli, USA Today's Mike Clark thought Bale performed the role of Batman as well as he did Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, but that the relationship between Bruce Wayne and Rachel Dawes was "frustratingly underdeveloped".[55] Kyle Smith thought Bale exhibited "both the menace and the wit he showed in his brilliant turn in American Psycho", and that the film works so well because of the realism, stating, "Batman starts stripping away each layer of Gotham crime only to discover a sicker and more monstrous evil beneath, his rancid city simultaneously invokes early ’90s New York, when criminals frolicked to the tune of five murders a day; Serpico New York, when cops were for sale; and today, when psychos seek to kill us all at once rather than one by one."[56] In contrast, Salon.com's Stephanie Zacharek felt Nolan did not deliver the emotional depth expected of "one of the most soulful and tortured superheroes of all"; she thought Bale, unlike Michael Keaton who she compared him to, failed to connect with the audience underneath the mask, but that Gary Oldman succeeds in "emotional complexity" where the rest of the movie fails.[57] However, Tim Burton felt Nolan "captured the real spirit that these kind of movies are supposed to have nowadays. When I did Batman twenty years ago, in 1988 or something, it was a different time in comic book movies. You couldn't go into that dark side of comics yet. The last couple of years that has become acceptable and Nolan certainly got more to the root of what the Batman comics are about."[58]
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if there's any truth to the statement found in one of the reviews quoted a page ago, I guess there will be a Batman TDK: Director's Cut. I assume then that this version will contain the whole scene in where The Joker appears to be dead to 'gain an audience' with the mobster who put a bounty on his head. I mean, at least I think there will be a more complete scene because it seemed like there was more than just the Joker putting the blade in the mobsters mouth and then him falling to the ground after some dramatic music. Perhaps we'll see the Joker cut him up a bit?
TheBohrok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw The Dark Knight this past Saturday in IMAX, my first time. Well, the combination of seeing it for the first time on a screen the size of which is just daunting made for a unique and overwhelming experience. Seeing The Joker's face fill a three-story screen was incredible.

The word that I'm seeing pop up in many reviews here is the one that I felt succinctly summed up the film quite well: intense. If Batman Begins had moments fraught with suspense and anticipation, then this one as a whole was ten times more so. Ledger's portrayal of The Joker was not what I was expecting. From the trailers, he didn't seem as menacing, terrifying, and cunning as he ended up being on screen. There was hushed silence in the theater I attended whenever he spoke, especially with Harvey. He was truly a seemingly unstoppable foe, and I was completely caught up in the character. This performance truly deserves the praise it's received in the reviews I've been reading. I am definitely watching this at least one more time; movies like this don't come out very often, especially big summer movies.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: