FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Knight movie thread (beware of spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to flag that spoiler there about Rachel, Pooh Wink
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poohbear wrote:
I also went to the midnight showing. I think Harvey Dent/Two Face had the perfect storyline and amount of screen time. We saw everything we needed to realize how broken of a man Harvey had become after Rachel's death and how much the Joker was able to twist him. If they were to let him live in TDK and bring him on as the villain in the sequel, I think he, as a character, would be treading water. Anymore Two Face after TDK would just seem redundant IMO.

OK. My point was, however, they shouldn't even have had Two Face in this movie. It was just way too forced IMHO. They rushed the "healing" of his face, and didn't explore his pain deep enough.

Flip a coin, 123, I'm evil, I'm going to start killing everyone, oops, now I'm dead. It was done well, but I think could've been done better, had they saved his story for another film.

Everything up until he was in the hospital was done so well, and I can live with The Dark Knight as is. Great film. But if I could change one (or two) things, that would've been it.

EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this film is perfect, everything was completely nailed in the head IMHO, perfect cast, perfect twists, and perfect visuals.

This movie has left me speechless.
Samurai Moose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved every little bit of the Dark Knight. It was perfect in every way possible, and I cannot wait to see it many more times.

I just hope in the next movie, if there is one, they bring Scarecrow back. I have always liked the character, and thought they should have had more of him in this film. Or, maybe Poison Ivy?

Watchmen and Spirit trailers looked amazing. Especially the Watchmen.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please, no poison ivy. I'd like to see how they'd explain THAT. Wink

Riddler and Deadshot ftw. Smile It gives me a chill to think of what the Nolans could do with the Riddler.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Penguin, personally. I always loved the villain and I want to see how they'll top Burgess Meridith or Danny Devito.
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not see a sequel. I don't think anything can or will top The Dark Knight. It would be cool if the third movie is better than the first two, but I just think it's unlikely.

On a related note, it's a shame that the new action figures for TDK in the affordable price range ($5-$10) aren't all that great.

『 <3 』
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
I want to see Penguin, personally. I always loved the villain and I want to see how they'll top Burgess Meridith or Danny Devito.

No Penguin. Nolan said he isn't a belivable character.

I am so hoping for a new Batman, after the ending of TDK. I believe the Nolans can top TDK, and Begins, if they want to. Very Happy

And the Movie Masters Dark Knight figures are $10, and the best Batman figures ever made IMO.

I'll take more detailed pics soon.
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O rly? I need to get myself a Batman figure then. I had those cheap 3.75 and 5 inch figures in mind when I made that comment Razz

『 <3 』
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Don't bother with the 5 inch. The Movie Masters Two Face and Scarecrow are so full of win. I can't find them anywhere. (don't even know if they've been release yet)
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the Dark Knight, and aside from being forced to sit there for half an hour before they played the movie, and sitting next to two incredibly annoying tween girls... (If you're going to sit there the whole time texting and TALKING ON YOUR PHONE, don't spend $10 to ruin it for everyone else!)
It was really well done. I'm not going to sit here picking apart the reality factor of a movie. It's Batman, people, just let it go! What I will say is that I think it could have been cut down at least half an hour and not lost anything. It felt slow to me. Making up for this was that the Joker was awesome! Everything he did was great, especially what he did with the pencil. Wink He really carried the movie, and Eckhart was also a perfect Two-Face. I'm still mulling over the details, and although not perfect, I'd say it's worth a viewing if you're a Batman fan, or at least liked the first one.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Batman Begins, the "reality factor" is obviously going to be criticized. Smile

Maybe if you look at my first post, you'll see that I was merely posting my problems with it, as you just did in your post. It escalated from there, with peoples response to my opinion of the movie.

As far as the running time, it was ten minutes longer than the first, and moved along quite fast IMO, I can't recall a slow moment in the film. Which is why I think the should've slowed it down a bit, and I'll say it again, saved Two Face for another film. Wink

Maybe in the future I'll just say I liked it, and leave it at that, and keep my problems with it to myself. Razz

I'll do a terrible thing here, and post something that doesn't have to do with Batman. Wink

Anyone know anything about the new X-Files movie? I'm going to find out more about it, because the trailer tells me nothing, except there's an old guy in it, who "thinks it's there"...
I'm thinking about seeing it when it comes out. Been an X-Files fan all my life. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the first movie.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDK was the most awesomest, winningest movie I've ever seen. I saw it at midnight, and again today at 3:30. I may need to see it again, and at least once on IMAX.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDK was frigin hardcore. I love the wave of awesome comic flicks this summer. I think it would have been fantastic split into two movies, the first act should have ended with the joker escaping and Harvey in the hospital, giving the obvious setup for him to come back in the spotlight with the joker drawing out the torment to turn him so evil. That of course wouldn't work in light of Heath Ledgers death and all, but he gave one hell of a final performance. I kinda hope they leave Batman alone for a while because you simply can't top that. No other villain of his is epic enough.
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Knight was truly one of the most intense and dark films I've sat through. I definitely would advise against any under-12s seeing it. Everybody was delivering top-notch performances; everyone disappeared into the characters. And the characterization of the Joker and Harvey Dent just brought up the inner fanboy in me; that was possibly one of the truest interpretations I've seen. One of my favourite scenes was definitely when the Joker broke up the mob meeting, it was a great character introduction. And then there was the gear: I comepletely didn't expect the Batpod to come shooting out of the Tumbler! Also, there's a bit of national pride involved because Lau (the Chinese businessman dude) is played by Singaporean actor Ng Chin Han. My full review follows.

Movie Review 19/7/08

THE DARK KNIGHT

Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Released by: Warner Brothers Studios

I was twelve years olds, staring wide-eyed at the screen as Batman Begins was coming to an end. Gary Oldman’s Lieutenant Gordon handed Christian Bale’s Batman a Joker card in the evidence bag, and bang! I had never felt so much anticipation for a sequel before. Three years later, The Dark Knight hit screens, and I’m practically speechless as to the unrivalled quality of the film.

The film begins with a tightly directed and superbly-shot daring bank robbery masterminded by the Joker (Ledger). From the onset, the viewer is almost directly told that this is not an ordinary movie-watching experience. At the same time, the mob runs loose and copycats of Batman run amok. However, the new district attorney, Harvey Dent (Eckhart) enters as a new heroic presence and Batman’s well-forged partnership with Lieutenant Jim Gordon seems to be making a difference on the streets.

The Joker, bold and anarchic that he is, comes in to take control of the mob. His prankster personality belies a twisted genius, and he convinces the mobsters to turn to him in order to eliminate the Batman. Elaborate schemes are laid, as the maniacal terrorist holds Gotham City at his very whim and fancy, frustrating the police and puzzling Batman himself. “Some people just want to watch the world burn,” Batman’s loyal butler Alfred (Michael Caine) offers. And when it comes to the Joker, everybody realises all too soon that is the category he falls under.

Of course, Batman keeps up his public front as Bruce Wayne, the billionaire playboy. From arriving at his own party late and by helicopter to inviting the entire Moscow Ballet onto his private yacht, he seems to be balancing both personas delicately but with ease. However, when his former paramour Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal) finds herself in the arms of Harvey Dent instead, this provides a tinge of romantic tension.

From interrupting a memorial ceremony to burning fire trucks (such is the warped sense of humour of the Joker) to his piece de resistance of blowing up Gotham General Hospital, the Joker grows ever more unpredictable, and it seems he will always have the one-up on the good guys.

From every point of view, The Dark Knight offers so much more than the aimless pieces of fluff that pass as summer blockbusters these days. A thinking man’s comic book movie, the film offers detailed character studies and an exploration into the darkest of themes while serving up such action sequences as a semi truck flipping end-over-end, a police helicopter flying into a trip-wire trap set by the Joker and a Chinese mobster accountant (Singapore’s very own Ng Chin Han) being yanked out from his office and into a plane via one of Batman’s more interesting tools of the trade.

In terms of acting, everybody is in top form. In the film’s predecessor, its weak link was Katie Holmes’ vapid portrayal of Rachel Dawes. Now that Maggie Gyllenhaal has stepped in to fill the part, the ensemble seems to be one of the strongest this summer. After Batman Begins, Christian Bale got almost everyone’s vote as the best onscreen Batman-which some may argue is not saying much since the role was previously inhabited by Val Kilmer and George Clooney. Some might argue that Michael Keaton’s casting in Tim Burton’s Batman was misguided, equally as many like it. But less I digress, here, Bale continues his winning streak. Bruce’s parlays with Alfred and Wayne Industries CEO Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) are also filled with character and provide some respite from the overall intensity of the picture.

However, Bale is outshone by a mile and a half by Heath Ledger’s Joker. While the young actor’s unfortunate death has cast an ominous shadow over The Dark Knight, his performance truly embodies the Joker like none has ever have. Inspired by the Joker’s portrayal in such dark comic book tales as “The Man Who Laughs” and “The Killing Joke”, Heath Ledger’s swagger, eerie vocal tone and nuanced evil smiles make his Joker almost officially one of the most disturbing film villains of all time. This is most palpable in the Joker’s threat videos, one of the many examples in the film of the torment he wreaks with such glee. One of my favourite moments is when the Joker interrupts a mob meeting with his twisted proposal. Shades of Malcolm McDowell’s infamous “Alex” in A Clockwork Orange and punk-rockers such as Iggy Pop and Sid Vicious are noticeable in Ledger’s stunning turn. Such is the power of his portrayal that talk of a posthumous Oscar nomination is already floating about. On the flipside, it is very easy to see how rumours that the role got too deep under Ledger’s skin and that it was the eventual cause of his death were birthed.

Besides the film’s stars, its supporting cast also turns in performances that rise far above average. The always-reliable Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine inhabit their characters of the tech advisor and butler respectively with believability, which is important as their characters seem to be the only two who can truly relate to the titular tortured vigilante. Aaron Eckhart flashes his pearly whites as the idealistic but ill-fated District Attorney, complete with a camp campaign tagline like “I Believe in Harvey Dent” (referencing, of course, “The Long Halloween” graphic novel). As any self-respecting Batman fan would know, Harvey Dent turns into the disfigured bipolar villain Two-Face, something which does occur in the film. With the aid of truly disturbing effects makeup, Eckhart also portrays this side of the character with brooding vengefulness. Cleaning up after Katie Holmes, Maggie Gyllenhaal lends much more realism to assistant-DA Dawes, even if her chemistry with the leading men seems lacking at times.

Director Christopher Nolan’s vision of bringing the Batman film franchise back from the over-the-top camp and psychedelia of Joel Schumacher’s ghastly Batman and Robin (with reached its grotesque zenith with Arnold Schwarzenegger’s exclamation of “Let’s…kick…some…ice!) with The Dark Knight’s predecessor Batman Begins in 2005 prompted cheers from fans and critics alike. This is very much expanded-upon in the film, resulting in the movie being not so much a comic book action flick as a highly intelligent action thriller and crime drama, albeit one with a relatively high budget. The powerful themes of absolutes, moral ambiguity and corruption are explored with much panache. This layer that belies the fisticuffs and explosions we all expect from a summer blockbuster is refreshingly thought-provoking.

The Dark Knight is everything this reviewer has hoped for from this comic-book movie sequel and much, much more. While most second acts seem to be plagued by “sequel-itis” (especially those of the comic book movie genre), this picture is taut, intelligent and offers action sequences like none other.

RATING: 5/5 STARS

><>
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, me and me friends bought tickets early and are going to see TDK today. From what I've heard, it'll be mind-blowing. Still, the original Tim Burton's Batman holds a place in my heart. It was such a funny movie. Seriously-the Joker dancing to Prince? Pure hilarity. Wink

I also can't wait for Harry Potter 6. The 5th was, by far, the best movie so far, so I hope the new one won't disappoint. There'd better be a trailer soon.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I've seen The Dark Knight three times now... the epic voice-over ending still sends chills up my back.

I think the last movie I saw this many times was Revenge of the Sith, and this movie is at least twice or three times as good... so I should see it 9 or 10 times, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan716 wrote:
Oh man, I've seen The Dark Knight three times now... the epic voice-over ending still sends chills up my back.

I think the last movie I saw this many times was Revenge of the Sith, and this movie is at least twice or three times as good... so I should see it 9 or 10 times, right?

Haha, I would think so. I plan on seeing it for a second time this week and a third probably in three weeks. I only saw ROTS twice in theaters but on the other hand I don't want to watch TDK so many times in theaters that by the time the DVD comes out, I can't necessarily sit through the whole thing. I doubt that will be a problem though because I had no problem with the pacing/length.
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to watch it again Exclamation

It'd be my second viewing. Poohbear, is it just as good the third time around?

『 <3 』
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan716 wrote:
Oh man, I've seen The Dark Knight three times now...

Aren't you running out of money for the cinema by now? Shocked Surely, you're starting to get bored with knowing what's gonna happen the third time round while everyone else meets The Joker for the first time. Question

Last edited by The Master Zombie on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, with a movie like TDK, it gets better each time you watch it.

Besides the fact that awesome movies never get old, with long movies, you always catch more the second, third, and fourth time around. Smile

I watch Aliens at least once a month, and I never get tired of it. Same with Back to the Future.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, alright then. Padawan716 must really love that film. If anyone beats his record (which I'm sure will rise Laughing) then please do tell me. I've never met anyone who has seen a film more than once at the cinema. Funny. I could never watch something twice, I'd want to tell everyone when the exciting bits were coming up. Laughing

Oh well, someone stab me with a pencil and Jokerize me. It's time for a Regeneration.

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can top that easily. I saw TPM about 8 times at the theater. Of course, I had a bunch of passes and coupons so it was cheap, and by the 5th time or so we were just making fun of everything... but it was still entertaining. But I love seeing movies multiple times on the big screen, you can't get that effect at home no mater how much you dump into your system. It doesn't even need to be a great flick for me to go back, I think I saw that Godzilla remake two or three times. It's just cheap entertainment if you know how to play it right. I've seen roughly a movie a week this year and will keep that up as long as I can. My tickets average around $7 in case you were wondering.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$7? Sounds cheap to me when I convert that price to pounds. I pay £4.50 for a ticket at my local cinema. I don't care what price I have to pay though because it's always worse at the Odeon cinemas. My little cinema has so much history to it. It's been there for so many years. I just hope it stays there forever because you can't beat the atmosphere of the tiny rooms where people cram in to see a big name film. Cool
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some obvious tips that help me keep the cost low...
-Stick to the matinée show times if possible, they're always cheaper
-Never use Fandango
-buy passes through Costco or with the coupons in an Entertainment book, even if it's a new movie and you have to pay a bit extra it's still cheaper than the actual price
-Avoid the popular theaters
-Get a "loyalty card" - it's free and it accumulates points towards free popcorn, sodas, and tickets
-Don't go to the concession stand. That is where theaters make the bulk of their money, it's a ripoff and everyone knows it
-If a movie sucks bad enough, walk out. So long as you're not too close to the end of it they'll refund your tickets or give you passes to come back ans see a different one. If you try and get a refund after watching the whole movie you're just a moron.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, our AMC theaters have a $4 weekday deal (for the past two months I think), all day on week days. And I've never bought theater food, considering Wallgreens has candy bars for $1, and I'm allergic to popcorn anyways. Wink

Then again, I saw Iron Man twice at full price ($10) downtown, before AMC had $4 tickets. Some times a movie is just that good. Wink

So that's why I've been going to see so many movies in the theater. Before we only went once a month, or when a movie came out that we were REALLY looking forward to. I also go usually every time I hang out with my friends.
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Dark Knight and I must say it was the most astounding, well acted, engaging movie I have seen all year. This movie has easily entered my top-five favorites. Why is this so amazing? Because I absolutly despise Superhero movies! They all appear the same to me...but this one...this wasn't a Superhero movie...this was...moviemaking at its finest.

Previously Known as Commander Bacara...but I forgot my password :\.
Vidzombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that there wasn't a scene that I didn't like in the whole movie, and that it was very well acted. However, I left it saying that it was a well made movie, but not necessarily one I enjoyed. I wasn't really gripped and interested during the movie. For this reason, I say I like Batman Begins better, because the introduction that was devised was so incredible and fresh. I just ate the first half of the movie up, from the ninja training house, to the creation of suit ind introduction of the tumbler.

Flickr

Last edited by conan on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to see TDK today. I'm not a huge Batman fan personally (more of a Marvel fan myself) but the movie was amazing none-the-less. I really loved Heath's job with the Joker, and I also really liked the preformance of Harvey (aka Two Face...his name was Harvey right? Razz)

One thing that made this better then all the other Batman movies, is they got ride of that annoying neck problem. How the mask was always attached to the shoulders and he had to turn his whole body to look. I love how they actually addressed that problem in the movie and fixed it.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Lego Apple

Location: Behind the Mayonaise, to the left of the coleslaw, right of the potato salad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. The other day I went to see the Dark Knight and I have to say, WOW! I mean just WOW! It really just blew me away! Heath Ledger was incredible as the Joker and the action and intensity of the film was extraordinary. The plot could have been a little more in depth (I mean where does the Joker get devices that blow up an entire building? Ebay? However, I guess you shouldn't question a great movie) and it could have done without some of the scenes (I mean the part where there was that phone in that guy's stomach wasn't on of my favorite scenes Smile, and the they should have done without the whole Two-Face concept due to it being so completely non-realistic )but besides that this was just epic! The car chase scenes were stunning and the ever-lasting sense of darkness and fright you feel after the movie gives you the sensation of thrill to go and see the movie again. It really makes you ask yourself the question "Why so Serious?"

The Master: I just thought I'd mention that your avatar rocks!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: