FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Knight movie thread (beware of spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pencil part was probably the most ingenius thing in the whole movie.
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would say the whole movie was the most genious part of the movie Wink
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's true...
Zombie Yuhas
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
And the pencil trick was one of those scenes that I found disturbing, rather than funny. Shoving a pencil into someone's head? Ha ha.

That part made me laugh, and then as soon as I realized the mechanics of it, I immediately felt a bit sick to my stomach.

And honestly, I think you're a bit wrong about the Joker too. In my opinion, you're supposed to find his actions at least a bit funny, and then feel bad about yourself for doing so. I really kept jumping back and forth between amused and disturbed by his actions the whole movie. So I really think Nolan meant for him to be funny in parts, and also meant for you to feel bad about yourself for thinking it was funny. Am I making any sense?
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make perfect sense. You're probably right. But what disturbed me, was no one I know seemed amused and disturbed, they were all just amused. Confused
Inzane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie is for ENTERTAINMENT value.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... so is the Saw movie series. Should we laugh whatching that too? Confused
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats not a fair comparison, SAW was meant to disturb you completely, nothing was really supposed to be funny, while the Dark Knight incorporates a lot of comic relief and actual story line to help you through it.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The movie is for ENTERTAINMENT value.

That was a pretty broad statement. Something can be entertaining, and not be funny. Of course The Dark Knight, and any movie really, is meant to entertain, so saying the movie was "meant for entertainment value" is stating the obvious, and not helping the discussion.

I'm not trying to compare the Dark Knight to the Saw movies, I just wanted Inzane to clarify, because his statement wasn't very clear, of course The Dark Knight was meant to be entertaining, the Joker was entertaining, but the question was, is it meant to be funny?

At this point, I feel that it was meant to be, as Daniel Yuhas said, to make you laugh, but then feel disturbed.

Simply put, I was saying you can be entertained without something being funny, and I just wanted him to clarify what he was trying to say. I was entertained by the Joker, but I was also disturbed, rather than humored. Smile

Edit: however, I now feel that Nolan wanted people to draw their own conclusions of the Joker. If he made them laugh, fine, if they were sickened or disturbed, fine.
Also, if that's what you meant by your post Inzane, I think I understand what you mean. It's made for entertainment, so people can draw their own collusions?
Inzane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I stated to the obvious to try to help you realize something. Don't OVER-analyze everything.

I'm sure the scene was shot in the way it was with the intention to make you laugh. In the context of the movie it was funny because here you have this lone guy strolling in to a mob-boss reunion, who are all feeling pretty tough and confident. And then with hardly any effort at all this guy fends off a threat by one of the thugs (a bouncer/bodyguard in essence), in the blink of an eye.

Of course if you saw that happen in front of you for real it would be horrifying. I'm not suggesting otherwise.
Daredevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabye I am jumping into this one, but remember the guy was part of a crime mob so clearly gotham would have been a better place without him.

Last edited by Daredevil on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inzane wrote:
stuff...

... in the blink of an eye...

...more stuff

Ha. Laughing I don't know whether you meant to make funny, but I thought that was brilliant.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did make me laugh. Razz
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what's coming back? Exclamation

Also in the news.....
Ledger Posthumously Honoured.
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of retarded... (I'm talking about the re-release, not Ledger being honered.)

It's somehow hard for me to believe that there are people ignorant or foolish enough to go spend money on another movie ticket when they can already buy the DVD and watch it as many times as they want... Rolling Eyes

Although I can see where they're coming from with the whole "let the people that didn't get a chance before to see it on the silver screen"...

Proud member of the AFEC
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question fo you Americans out there. Is The Dark Knight still running on the IMAX in the States, I only ask because the one in Central London is still showing it for another week and a half or so, and there may even be a few additional screenings in january.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
It's somehow hard for me to believe that there are people ignorant or foolish enough to go spend money on another movie ticket when they can already buy the DVD and watch it as many times as they want... Rolling Eyes

Have you ever been to the cinema? Wink It's so much better to watch a film there than on a TV and this is what it's doing. I'd happily see a film I've got on DVD if it was rereleased. I don't think this is trying to dupe people into paying because it's the only way to see it again.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Zombie Typo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
Have you ever been to the cinema? Wink

Naw, I haven't. Could you tell me what it's like?

I'm just joshin'...

Seriously though, while you do raise a valid point that I do actually agree with, you have to understand that that isn't the only thing influencing my opinion (as flawed as it may be). Wink I'm also thinking about it from a monetary standpoint... In some places, you're paying almost $9 for one, yes, one ticket. And some people go to see a movie twice, so that's another $9... (Some places, I understand, aren't as expensive, but I'm just going by where I live.) So, would you rather see it 2 times and have that awesome experience, or get it on DVD and treasure it forever? Mr. Green

*Waits for someone to say they would rather and can do both*

Proud member of the AFEC
Tyrant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually in this situation with the original Pirates a few years ago. I had it on DVD (though unopened as I had only bought a day or two prior) and I happened by a theater that still had it showing. I was with someone else who was wanting to see a movie and we had nothing better to do, so we watched the movie at the theater. I had already watched it in a different theater, to be clear. Also, this was a cheap theater. Cheap in price, but not quality. It obviously wasn't stadium seating and top of the line sound, but it wasn't a dive. I was suprised that our collective cost, drinks and popcorn included, was $10 or so. So, would I watch The Dark Knight again in theaters even if I already had the DVD? Probably. I did with Star Wars (though that was the all new and shiny special editions, but I would do it again even now).
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have waited for the Brits to come in and say we have to pay more - over 5 for a student ticket at Cineworld (over 6 for an adult). I'd happily pay $9.

Zombie Typo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, hmm, hmm. I rest my case, then. Oh, but wait, how much are DVDs over there?

Proud member of the AFEC
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRP around 20, but they normally sell for 12.

ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
[ In some places, you're paying almost $9 for one, yes, one ticket.

My local theater sets me back $10.25 for a ticket. Wink
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
Master Fetty wrote:
Have you ever been to the cinema? Wink

Naw, I haven't. Could you tell me what it's like?

I'm just joshin'...

Seriously though, while you do raise a valid point that I do actually agree with, you have to understand that that isn't the only thing influencing my opinion (as flawed as it may be). Wink I'm also thinking about it from a monetary standpoint... In some places, you're paying almost $9 for one, yes, one ticket. And some people go to see a movie twice, so that's another $9... (Some places, I understand, aren't as expensive, but I'm just going by where I live.) So, would you rather see it 2 times and have that awesome experience, or get it on DVD and treasure it forever? Mr. Green

*Waits for someone to say they would rather and can do both*

DVD... I'll never get TDK on DVD.

Maybe Blu-ray, for which I'll get a $125 drive for my PC... and then need to get a $800+ HDTV monitor for 1080 quality.

Movie theater? having spent nearly $100 to watch it 9 times (twice on IMAX, $15 each time), I'm gorram stoked it's coming back, and I'll see it again. Nothing beats the theater. Damn... not watching this movie in theaters should be a crime. watching it on a small screen with laptop speakers should be considered blasphemy. Talk about doing a film injustice....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zombie Typo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
Captain Typo wrote:

Nice... Which theater is this?

Padawan716 wrote:
Maybe Blu-ray, for which I'll get a $125 drive for my PC... and then need to get a $800+ HDTV monitor for 1080 quality.
Right, good luck with that endeavor. Shocked I'm not really at the place where I can do that right now, so I'll have to settle for DVD...
Padawan716 wrote:
Nothing beats the theater. Damn... not watching this movie in theaters should be a crime. watching it on a small screen with laptop speakers should be considered blasphemy. Talk about doing a film injustice....
Indeed... I don't intend to watch it on a crummy laptop, don't worry. But I'm assuming it would be a crime against humanity to watch it on a late-80's TV, so I guess I'm not entirely in the clear...

So are you serious about the Blu-Ray stuff, Paddy?

Proud member of the AFEC
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
GIR3691 wrote:
Captain Typo wrote:

Nice... Which theater is this?

It's Bowtie Cinemas, and before that it was Crown Theaters. I am really fed up with movie theaters. I saw TDK in Imax for a dollar above regular admission at the Maritime Center's IMAX screen about a mile away from Bowtie, and it was obviously better, but it seemed like the whole movie should have been shot IMAX, because there was a real difference in picture quality that showed on the IMAX screen. Joker's face was almost blurry and distorted on a screen that size with a standard film setup.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:
So are you serious about the Blu-Ray stuff, Paddy?

dead serious. when I build up my new PC, I was including a Blu-ray drive as my primary CD-drive, but I replaced that with a $25 DVD burner when my dad said he'd foot the bill (I sort of pitched it to him as my Rendering machine for school - I use Rhinoceros for my architecture studio, and rendering quickly is useful).

The plan changed to eventually include the blu-ray drive when I upgrade my 19" 1440x900 monitor. I'm not sure when... but I know for certain I will not be purchasing any more DVDs.

But I've still got to do some research about 64-bit Vista and Blu-ray software and all that compatibility stuff. I plan on expanding my RAM to 8 gigs and installing 64-bit, but it seems there are plenty of issues to take into consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Typo wrote:

Padawan716 wrote:
Right, good luck with that endeavor. Shocked I'm not really at the place where I can do that right now, so I'll have to settle for DVD.

Same with me... I'm the kind of guy who is fairly cheap with technology (amongst other things) So I'm usually a few years behind with most technology. I don't see how people can pay $30 or more for a movie.

Though... Darkknight is probably one of those VERY few movies I would pay $50 for and not complain too much, it was just that good

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gertting my brother the Dark Knight/ Batman Begins double pack BluRay for Christmas, it's setting me back 28, that's just over $41. That's just awesome for something that could retail for anything up to $90 over here.
He made his computer and included a 1440x900 screen, he got a BluRay drive the other week, I think he plans on upgrading it more with Christmas and birthday money. I can't wait to watch TDK on that.

Anyhoo, I was wrong about the film at the IMAX, it's last day is today, and it'l have only two more special screenings. Shame that I think.

Aldo, funny story, I'm watching the special features on TDK DVD, one of the specific types of IMAX cameras they used, there were only 4 in the world, and they destroyed one dyring filming Shocked Laughing

And, the name of Bruce Wayne's Lambo is Spanish for Bat. Cool
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he shelled out the extra hundred bucks or so on a Blu-Ray drive instead of on, say, a monitor that can actually display a 1080p picture?

You have a silly brother, Ed. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: