FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you do and what is your salary?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alldarker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: What do you do and what is your salary? Reply with quote

OK, so, with the 10188 Death Star coming out and a whole wave of Clone Wars sets, and with all the complaints about how much this will cost, I was wondering what jobs (if any) people have, and how much they actually earn a month (in US $ or EU )?

* I realize this might be a touchy subject, so if a mod feels this topic needs to be locked, I can understand.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do?

FlickrBrickshelf
alldarker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!

I'm an analist of public safety for a public transport authority.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work from home for a software developer.

FlickrBrickshelf
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a part time job working as a waiter at a restaurant/bar. I get around 20 for an evening, or 30-40 for a day. Plus tips and double pay on bank holidays, I don't think that's too bad (until I turn 16 Wink ).

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While still in school I do have a part time job for which there isn't a real concise description. Basically I can do anything in the warehouse that I work in. My mother got me the job that I have now since she is the Accountant for the flooring business so I do whatever the owners need me to do. I paint, I load orders, I run errands, take out the trash, etc. It seems almost like an internship. But I get paid $8.00 an hour right now which is $0.35 above the minimum wage in CT ($7.65).
Skafte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at skeletons and animal bones from archaeological excavations and put stuff about them in a database. Occasionally I help to build exhibitions. I make about $3300 or 2200 a month, depending on the exchange rate, and since I'm in Sweden, a third gets eaten by the tax. Another third goes to morgage, food and such things and the rest to LEGO. Until September, when we're having a kid (not talking about the 10188, a real one).
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly think that's any of your business. Razz
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I part time work as a cashier at a grocery store. I get payed minimum wage per hour (8.75 was it now?) But my hours change every week so its always different what I get payed at the end of the month

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zom-9
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a job by a large corperation and they want me to help construct a very large moon sized space station with a super laser, they never told me why but I trust them and they have benefits.... Razz

But really I work as a waiter. I get about 8.50 an hour and get paid every other week.

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
Kaiba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 5 a month everytime my parents get paid Razz
My dream job is to work for Jagex as a Graphic designer.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 different jobs, all of them part time. Razz

$14ph- Landscaping
$10ph - Landscaping at my church.
$7.50ph - Working at a Subway(sandwich shop)
$8.00ph - Working at a minor league baseball stadium.

Keeps me busy. Wink
Lego Apple

Location: Behind the Mayonaise, to the left of the coleslaw, right of the potato salad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying hard to get a North Texas Car Cleaning Service going though, besides me and my brother, I can't seem to find any willing employees. Oh well...
The Sissy CSI

Location: In the days before custom avatars... Real name: The Sissy Jedi...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get $10 a week for allowance but recently worked for $10 an hour powerwashing my driveway.
mandalorian_marshall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at Visions Electronics as the Service Manager ("manager" is a bit of a misnomer (sp?) however as I'm the only person in that department Rolling Eyes ). Basically I deal with anything that people have bought from our store that is not working properly.
Inzane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I want to discuss details here. Suffice to say both myself and my wife are professionals and currently "DINKS" (dual income no kids).

But even in my financial position, I still consider $400-600 lego sets to be too bloody expensive.

To date, ~$300 CDN is about the most I've ever spent on a single set (the UCS DSII and ISD, on sale. And the RBR). And even that much gives me pause as to whether it was worth it. I don't have the UCS MF set yet, and I definitely will not pay the current retail price of $680 CDN Rolling Eyes for it.

For those of you that are just kids or even teens, scrounging up every penny of allowance or whatever to obtain these sets, I couldn't imagine going for the bigger sets out there in that position. When I was a kid, the biggest lego set I think I owned at the time was the 497 Galaxy Explorer(and that was a Christmas gift).
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lawyer. Razz

Steve
warhawk
G.I. Brick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a project manager (well, actually a manager of project managers Razz) mostly for IT projects but also doing the occasional odds and ends nobody in the operational organisation can do. I'm working for the Swiss branch of one of Europe's biggest food retailers.

Fortunately I earn enough to not have to worry about buying LEGO, but what I seem to lack lately is the time to build it. I'm mostly catching up on all those sets I missed due to lack of money during my childhood - I don't think I'll get 10188. Now, anybody got one or two MISB 918 lying around Razz?
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego Apple wrote:
I'm trying hard to get a North Texas Car Cleaning Service going though, besides me and my brother, I can't seem to find any willing employees. Oh well...

If you can pay for transportation between NC and Texas and don't mind illegally hiring me, I don't mind working, even for minimum wage. Razz

On topic, I can't work in the US since I'm an immigrant so I just have to save up the money that I get from doing odd jobs around the house. But, thanks to Christmas and I brilliant exchange rate between the UK and the US, I still manage to get enough money for the sets I want. Wink
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get $20 for cleaning both our Honda Civic and Pilot. I used to get $10, but when we were selling our Subaru, my mom took it to a "professional" car cleaning service, and they did an awful job. I guess she started appreciating my work more, so she increased my wages. Very Happy Since she paid somewhere around $70 to get just 1 car cleaned at that place, I'm asssuming she figures paying me $20 to do both cars is a real bargain! Razz

Proud member of the AFEC
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as some of you may know, I'm a caddie. Because it's a pretty high end country club, I make around $50-$60 for single bagging 18 holes. For double bagging, I normally bring in about $90-$110 for 18 holes. Since I'm still in high school, I think this is a wonderful summer job considering it's all cash, there aren't any taxes, and I get to decide when I want to go and work. Also, with all the star wars sets coming out this summer, I need money Wink .
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for my college of architecture's support shop (wood and metalworking and stuff like that.) With a work/study scholarship, I make 9.75 an hour, and last quarter I worked for 12 hours a week until I broke my collarbone.

This quarter (summer) I'm not on the work/study so I should make 7.75 or something, but the college needs to replace furniture in studios, so there's an offer for $10 an hour, which is what I'm paid now. I intend to work 20 hours a week, the maximum allowed while taking classes (I'm only taking one for this first half of the quarter).

I usually make $400 a month after taxes, if I work the maximum, this month I might get $800... assuming it does take 4 weeks to do this job (moving furniture out, cleaning up, painting the studios, then assembling furniture when it arrives.)

Pretty good... if it all works out. I may be working for the lower rate when the moving job stops to wait for the furniture to arrive.

Ahhh, purely physical labor. Is there anything better, especially with a recently healed collarbone and an atrophied shoulder?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timborino
Keeper o' the Shrub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the past semester, I was a substitute teacher and made 80 USD per day, which was pretty sweet, considering I usually spent the time just hanging out with junior high kids and making sure they did their work and weren't too loud.

This summer I am working with the youth ministry at my church, which so far has meant doing all the behind the scenes stuff at church, shepherding and encouraging teenagers, playing games with kids, spending the day at Six Flags, oh, and also some teaching. I make 250 USD a week.

I see what you did there
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an "engineering manager" - I work in front of a computer all day designing boring agricultural machinery components and answering dumb questions from the guys in the shop. If I wanted to make my job seem more impressive, I'd mention that I program two multi-thousand watt industrial lasers that cut through half inch thick plates of steel, and I'm probably around the fifth highest paid guy at the place. I have a minion to do the drafting work I don't want to do, and I have open access to the internet all day to keep me sane. I get to show up late nearly every day without getting hassled for it, I can leave whenever I want and take extended lunch breaks on a whim, and if I feel like getting some extra cash on my check that week I can put in as much overtime as I can justify me being there... which is typically after everyone leaves and no one really pays attention to my workload or output. No benefits to it outside a decent health plan, and my bonus at the end of the year is a somewhat insulting check for $50 - but I can to cut my own parts on the side and sell them to geeks online to make up for it.
11numnumnum
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mow lawns. Yes, seriously. I make $20 a lawn. However, I've lost 2/3s of my three customers in a week (curse grandchildren of my customers offering to mow at half my price...). I generally make $60 a month now, as opposed to 100 before (I mow twice a month, and I do my own lawn, too).
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOM-9 wrote:
I recently got a job by a large corperation and they want me to help construct a very large moon sized space station with a super laser, they never told me why but I trust them and they have benefits.... Razz

O so your the new recruit we hired recently.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inzane wrote:
For those of you that are just kids or even teens, scrounging up every penny of allowance or whatever to obtain these sets, I couldn't imagine going for the bigger sets out there in that position. When I was a kid, the biggest lego set I think I owned at the time was the 497 Galaxy Explorer(and that was a Christmas gift).

The most expensive set I ever bought myself was the Clone Turbo Tank, though I did get a complete 4504 Falcon in a $120 lot with a few other sets. Until I got my first job, it was a nightmare getting an expensive set. I had $8-$10 weekly allowance, and that was it. It would take weeks or months to save up for one set, and that was if I didn't spend any of the money on other things. Now that I have a fairly steady income with my job, that's significantly better. Even so, I missed out on the older At-At, RGS and Imperial Inspection because I was too young to pull together the money to afford it. I would stare at them on shelves, and once saw the At-At on sale, but it was still too much. It was incredibly frustrating, and any set over $50 was off limits. Of course, this was well before movies were $10 a ticket, but it still was very difficult to do anything before I got my unspecified job.
General Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I know exactly what you're talking about GIR.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I create chaos and mayhem for a living and force my minions to do my bidding. My job gets kind of tough when they send in rouge agents that actually know how to escape my evil traps or thwart my devious plans. But I usually make out in the end.
Oh, yeah... I recently blackmailed every government in the world for ONE... BILLION... DOLLARS!
I plan to order this new Death Star set as soon as Lego agrees to send it to my secret moon base. (Shipping is a real hassle since the location is a secret. SHHHHHH!)

Needless to say Don, you and I should talk. It sounds like we have similar jobs (especially the whole "laser" thing).

Mwua-ha... Mwua-ha... Mwua-Ha-HAAA!
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at home on a farm. I make enough money to survive.

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: