FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone ever meet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Does anyone ever meet? Reply with quote

I was just wondering. Does FBTB ever have any conventions or like get together? You know, meet in Vegas for a weekend every 2-3 years. Something where you need to be old enough to gamble and drink beer, but you can meet some of the AFOL here and talk about the subjects covered here in an organized gathering type thing. The MODs and Admins. seem to be pretty tight knit here. Have you guys ever met each other in person? I went to C4 and saw the FBTB booth there and talked a little bit with those guys there.

I spoke with one of my customers, who happens to be a big Xena Warrior Princess fan, they have forums and such and every so often they all get together. They sound like a totally different crowd.

Iím not complaining, but I find it interesting. Iím fairly new to the forums and blogs scene. I lurked here for years. I remember the old forums, and only joined this last summer.

I was just wondering.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered that myself. Would be cool if there were convention type things. I would definitely take the trip to meet everyone.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe conventions/meetups have ever been organized through FBTB, which is probably due in large part to the vast majority of the user base being under the legal driving age. Razz

Folks do get together on a more casual basis, though -- sort of a "Hey, I'm gonna be in X, and I know you live in X, d'you wanna meet up for an age-appropriate beverage?" type thing. Or if there's another lego event, like NWBC or the rest, I think FBTBers will sometimes arrange an intra-website meetup within the larger con between those who are attending.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:
I don't believe conventions/meet ups have ever been organized through FBTB, which is probably due in large part to the vast majority of the user base being under the legal driving age. Razz

Who says I can't hitch hike? Oh yeah, my mom did. Mad
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rule about FBTBcons is you don't talk about FBTBcons. (And just so you know, The second rule has something to do with the appropriate use of sealife and waterfowl. Confused )
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Lights to one of my favorite little Italian joints when he was in town. And I showed him around my college campus, took him to meet my BFF Jill, and then we got lost driving around for a couple hours.

The good news, though, is that it was awesome. I have a standing offer that if I'm ever in Disneyland and any Cali Bothans want to show up, I'll buy them a corndog. Same applies to any of your hoodlems who show up in my state.
LightsaberClash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
The first rule about FBTBcons is you don't talk about FBTBcons.

You know you broken that rule, right? Wink

But yeah, I don't think that it's happened before, nor will ever happen.
I do know that you can see many fbtb members at places like NWBC, BrickFair (formerly BrickFest), and Brick World.

-Aaron
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
took him to meet my BFF Jill,

Ohh, so you're the granny on that one phone commercial?

I've never met any other AFOLs. But is anyone planning to go to NWBC?

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 you Austin. <3 you so bad. Yay for Gepetto memories.

Yeah, as has been stated, no officially official get-togethers have ever been run by FBTB for the members. Kyle pointed out a big reason why. And for the older folks who *can* get around, the big Lego cons are the draw. I'd love to organize and/or take part in a more organized meeting/dinner/party at one of these larger AFOL events. There hasn't been a formal gathering of Bothans at any of the cons (that I'm aware of) but I've hung out with or briefly talked to a couple folks when we cross paths.

Oh, and Ace lives like 15 minutes away, so I see him often enough Razz
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there will be enough of us going to NW Brick Con to merit a meeting, what do you all think?
SIMAFOL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Chris Campbell at DragonCon last year and I always have an open door policy with any AFOLs in the Orlando FL area. No takers yet.

I think the best way to meet would be at a pre-existing event, such as DragonCon or another sci-fi convention.
-S-
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Bluemoose and RogueBantha on the last day of CE, they were cool, and all those models up close were just so Shocked aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Very Happy
Zombie Dragon
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it count if I had a dream that I met Austin while leaving a mall?

Red Hawk wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why I'm here.
Starsmore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet people all the time!

Oh, you meet other Bothans!

I dunno. I'm brand new to all this, but if anyone is in the Los Angeles area, my wife tells me I need to make more friends of my own outside of work, and I could always use drinking buddies (age appropriate drinks, of course! Wink )
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a good idea to meet at organized events, like openings of LEGO stores, comic-cons, etc.
SW Lego Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!

There is this INSANE guy just North of me who is always happy to take my money!

*wonders to self, does this guy have a punch card. Buy 10, get the next one free*
dayoldstew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bothan i've met is the illustrious Count Blockula. Actually, I had tried to sign up to the forums in 06 but never got the confirmation email or some such. I dragged my girlfriend to the public expo on Sunday at NWBC '07 with hopes of running into someone on fbtb who could help me out. Sure enough Mike hooked it up.... and I got to see those sweet Kart MOCs up close. Very Happy

So before I made my first post, I had already met an OG bothan!
dWhisper
99% Evil ģ [MOD]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, though that's more to do with my geography than anything else. I lived in South Dakota when I first joined, and just recently moved to Arkansas. As far as I know, I'm the only FBTB'er in either location.
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did talk to Swoosh Factor on the phone once. We almost met up at the airport. Almost! But i have met 4-5 FBTBers who also live in the Greater Toronto Area.

Canadians. Yeah- we're tight like that. Cool
Count Blockula
Undead Undead Vampire Zombieraiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can get a running list going of which Bothans are gonna be at NWBC this year, I'd totally try organizing some stuff for us. Like, I'm sure I could set aside some meeting time in a room or whatever where we could have a little meet and greet thing. Then, we could go to dinner, go to the Space Needle or the Sci Fi Museum, or whatever. We'd need to do some goofy group photos, too. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Sillyus wrote:
I did talk to Swoosh Factor on the phone once. We almost met up at the airport. Almost! But i have met 4-5 FBTBers who also live in the Greater Toronto Area.

Canadians. Yeah- we're tight like that. Cool

Wow. How far are the igloos from eachother?
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have met someone. The person who suggested this sight to me was a former student of this ELP class in elementary school. I have no idea if he goes on the forums or what his username would be though. I dont even remember his real name it was like 4 years ago. David maybe.

PS I didnt know that FBTB had a booth at C4. Was it next to that big mural of lego starwars?
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LSW mural was the booth, if I recall...

Proud member of the AFEC
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never met anyone, but then again, I haven't been here that long. As some of you have probably guessed by now, I live in the Twin Cities area. If any of you ever want to meet at MOA (Mall of America) to check out "teh LEGOs" or get an "age-appropriate" drink, that would be fine.

Also, dW, I had this theory that you lived in Sioux Falls. Now I could be wrong, but that seems like its close enough that you could have driven to cities from time to time to check out the LEGOLAND in the MOA.

I figure by now, though, you're probably in Little Rock (unless you're in Texarkana, which admittedly has an awesome name). There are probably other LEGOLANDs which are closer.
BobaFett95

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only possible if any one of you comes to Portugal.
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met any Bothans. Most members in NC live in either Charlotte or Raleigh, not near the coast.
timborino
Keeper o' the Shrub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met Ed at a TexLug show and I accidentally ran into DarthYoda at a concert. I even have a pic that's trapped on my phone.

I keep expecting to run into Collin some day.

I see what you did there
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, these posts are all over the map (literally and figuratively). I didnít expect this much response. I did meet Ace (and I think Athos) at C4. Those are the only two Bothans that Iíve met, and that was briefly. Everyone else that I know thatís an AFOL, is one because they got the idea from me.

It seems like a couple of administrators would be for it; and a couple of MODs are not so for it. I like the idea of getting out of town and going to a LEGO convention in Seattle. Seeing some sights would be cool too. Is the NWBC a big deal where people from all over the states come to check it out? If enough Bothans were coming from all over, then I would be cool to the idea of going. I still have run the idea by the wife. In my house, the man is the head of the house. My wife is the neck, and the neck pretty much turns the head where ever it wants. So I have to get permission. Am I right married guys? This would be my first trip on my own since ÖwellÖlet me think backÖmy bachelor party, over ten years ago. Letís see if Countís list gets stared before I make that kind of decision.

Well, one thing that I was thinking of trying is meeting people from the LA area. Iím using LA in its broadest sense of the word. I live in the California High Desert (Victorville to be precise) and wouldnít ask people to come all the way up here. Plus, I have two kids, so my house looks like a thermo nuclear toy box exploded in it.

Let me get back to the point. There is a LEGO store at the Ontario Mills in Ontario, California. There is also a Dave & Busterís. Letís say if youíre a Bothan, and you are old enough to enjoy a fine, cold, frothy, draft, age appropriate beverage; and you live in Riverside county, San Bernardino county or LA county. Maybe you would like to gather at D&Bís some time in early June? So, no younglings. I donít care if youíre like 18 and want to come, but I think D&B wonít let anyone under 21 in withoutÖa parent.
If you are old enough and you just like soda, thatís cool too. This wouldnít be sponsored by FBTB in any way, but this site is what our commonalty for showing up. It would just be for an afternoon.

Just throwiní it out there.

If enough people are interested, Iíd be for that. Something simple, just meeting, eating, enjoying an AAB, maybe some pool, talking LEGO, and maybe going to buy LEGO too. Thereís got to be a few of you out there. Any Takers?

The first round is on me.
The Department of Redundancy Department

Last edited by patientzombie on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reason I brought it up is because Mike and I were talking about meeting up anyways at NWBC and I thought to extend that to all of y'all. Mike is running it by Ace to ask him for some help too, but I think a little suare throughout Seattle will be awesome! As far as people coming from across the US, Mike lives in Boston and he is coming, I think Ryan will be there, and perhaps even Ace himself! I think this will turn out pretty good if it falls through!
Falcon Man

Location: In a tree. Species: Human, I think. Cheese: Wait, what?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in Olympia, WA. No-one ever aknowledges the capitol in Washington. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: