FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Definition of the term "Dark Age".

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: The Definition of the term "Dark Age". Reply with quote

Hey everybody!

I contacted a high ranking fellow member yesterday to ask them for the definition of the term "Dark Age". By this, I mean the term that we sometimes use around here to describe a long period when we haven't felt inspired to build, haven't felt connected (excuse the pun!!) to our plastic bricks or just haven't bought the sets which were around at the time. Not the "Dark Age" from Medieval periods. Razz

In the end, we just couldn't nail it on the head. So what does the term "Dark Age" mean? I'd be thankful to hear all your thoughts. Smile
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that a "Dark Age" would be defined as a year or more of not having time for Lego because of extenuating circumstances and/or lack of inspiration. I had mine between the release of Ep.1 and Ep.2, it was crazy. The last set I bought was an old AT ST, and the next one I got was an ARC-170 because that was on sale for 30% off. I think that you cant have your best Lego without a long dark age, it just gives you a good new outlook on everything.

-Emperor
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dark Age" is a period of time when you hit "builder's block" or get sick of building. I suppose it's a reference to a period of time as opposed to permanent since a lot of the people who experience it come back eventually.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dark Age is, when you not think at Lego at all. When you stop playing with it, when you stop browsing the new releases, when you stop going into the toy stores - when you completely forget, that Lego exists.
Like it was by me between 1990 and 2004.

FlickrBrickshelf
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young (I don't recall my age), I was really into LEGO. It was at the top every single Birthday and Christmas list. I got excited about it. But then, as my father would say, I "Got into that age now" when girls mysteriously ceased to be cootie-infested rodents and became something much more cool and exciting. I started spending more time involved in after-school activities such as sports, and video games became a higher priority. Basically, LEGO became a thing of the past. I stopped getting the magazines and catalogs, never checked out the LEGO aisle any more, and left my LEGO stored in the corner of my closet. And that's how they stayed for many years. For a brief time when I had a girlfriend, she brought me out of my dark ages, but it didn't last very long and once we broke up I went back into it. It was only last year that, perhaps more out of boredom than anything, I got back into LEGO.

So what is a "dark age?" I would define it as a period of time when LEGO is neither a major nor minor part of your life. You spend no time thinking about it whatsoever. This includes (but is not limited to) no longer looking at LEGO products on the internet or in the store, no longer playing or building with LEGO bricks, and not thinking about LEGO during your spare time.
RichieS77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:

So what is a "dark age?" I would define it as a period of time when LEGO is neither a major nor minor part of your life. You spend no time thinking about it whatsoever. This includes (but is not limited to) no longer looking at LEGO products on the internet or in the store, no longer playing or building with LEGO bricks, and not thinking about LEGO during your spare time.

99% spot on for accuracy.

To add further, my "darkest" times have been when Ive actually thought of buying Lego as a waste of money.
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not add to what's been said, so I will summarize.

[LEGO] dark age:
a period in which a LEGO collector or fan exhibits one or more of the following:
(a)stops buying new LEGO,
(b)stops building or playing with existing LEGO altogether
(c)loses interest in LEGO (manifested by no longer visiting websites).
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm in a gray age right now. I still browse the sites and the aisles but I have not built anything since my UCS AT-ST over a year ago. I still keep buying sets, though. I recently bought the UCS Falcon, all the new SW and Indiana Jones sets, plus Town Plan, Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Eifel Tower. I literally have a closet full of unbuilt sets.

I will add, however, that I have a 5 and a 2 year old, plus a one month old baby boy, a full time job as a teacher, plus I'm taking night courses for a Master's Degreee and I have video games that I thought looked cool when I bought them (or were well reviewed) that are still sitting around unopened.
cowboycoder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it used to mean that period of an AFOLs life between the time they stopped playing with Lego as a child/teenager and got back into it as an adult. But in recent years it's been over applied to mean any period of time when your not building.
ADHD Lego Builder wrote:
Hey guyz I just came out of a week long dark age, it was terrible Sad Sad Sad etc. etc.

I think these days, the best you could hope for is something along the lines of TheJudeAbides definition.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichieS77 wrote:
To add further, my "darkest" times have been when Ive actually thought of buying Lego as a waste of money.

Many people think that of me. "Why waste your money on a toy meant for kids?" they say. It makes me feel bad. Sad
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboycoder wrote:
...that period of an AFOLs life between the time they stopped playing with Lego as a child/teenager and got back into it as an adult.
I would have to agree to that one. Most members in here haven't had a dark age because they're still pretty young... and IMO its probably younger FOLs in general that hadn't had one but think it's a right of passage who've ended up kind of skewing the definition by applying it to broader ideas like not buying anything lately or not building often.

To me (after thinking about it since asked a couple days ago) a dark age is a time of a few years or more where you don't buy, build, or even browse LEGO. You might notice it from time to time but with no intent of getting back into it. This can be due to school, work, family, other hobbies... whatever. Basically, you were into LEGO for an extended period and had a decent number of sets, your interests moved away and it wasn't a part of your life at all, then after a while you rediscovered your love of the brick and got back into it and here you are now.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, few things make me wish I could slap someone through the internet harder than having someone say "it's just a waste of money" or the like.

Fact is, everything but basic food, shelter, and water is a "waste" of money if you draw it out far enough. A hobby is a hobby, and trying to equate one against the other because someone spends money on their lawn vs. plastic bricks is just asinine. It's the exact same thing, one measured against personal preference.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Most members in here haven't had a dark age because they're still pretty young.....

They become more frequent as you get older then? Neutral
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you missed the point there entirely... young members in here are still into LEGO - that's why they're in here. They haven't had a chance for life to take them onto other interests for long enough to push LEGO out of the picture then come back to it and rekindle their love. Not ever AFOL has a dark age, some hold the interest their whole life, or never liked LEGO as a kid but do now for some reason. Get it?
Anakin Solo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for about 6 months, I took down all my 10-15 sets in my room packed them away and just left them there in there taped baggies in there taped boxes, waiting to be rebuild (which I did recently). I also very rarely came on here or BL.

Although in Naboo Swamps case, in a bag from the supermarket you put your fruit in, with half the pieces mixed in with old City & Sports sets, still waiting to be rebuild (and with Jar Jar lying around somewhere in my lego box aswell) Laughing .

Last edited by Anakin Solo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't a dark age, that was just temporarily putting them in storage. Mad
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a kid, or teen, a "dark age" is the period of time, not when your frusterated from building, but when you think you're too old fo a "children's toy" (total lies, though Wink ). I suppose I had mine during mid-2006 and half of 2007 (pretty short, eh?), but the battlepacks brought me back, not just to LEGO, but to SW and my old favorite site FBTB.
ZombieWaldo
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice of Reason wrote:
Maybe I'm in a gray age right now. I still browse the sites and the aisles but I have not built anything since my UCS AT-ST over a year ago. I still keep buying sets, though. I recently bought the UCS Falcon, all the new SW and Indiana Jones sets, plus Town Plan, Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Eifel Tower. I literally have a closet full of unbuilt sets.

I will add, however, that I have a 5 and a 2 year old, plus a one month old baby boy, a full time job as a teacher, plus I'm taking night courses for a Master's Degreee and I have video games that I thought looked cool when I bought them (or were well reviewed) that are still sitting around unopened.

Gray age, I think I'll borrow that term Laughing It describes pretty well where I've been for the last few years. Still building the occasional MOC, but I haven't paid much attention to new products and such. Of course, now there are all these weird altered colors and such and I'm totally lost, but I guess I should've expected that...
twentythree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got hundreds of dollars worth of newer sets in your house that were recently purchased, then I'd say your still a fan.

My dark age lasted from 15-18 and ended at the beginning of the Star Wars line. I couldn't pass up such a great concept. It brought me right back into the hobby.

Last year I really got into the Creator series and can't seem to get enough of them to cover my desk. I love the little cranes/trucks/trains/helicopters and now I'm moving up to the $20-$30 sets like the beach house and cargo copter. I also love the glow-in-the-dark racer sets. I think that the ferryboat and convertible car coming out this summer will also end up in my collection.

Back to the topic...I'd say most people have their dark age either when they are a teenager or once life starts to take up their freetime with work/bills/family/resposibilities and lasts a couple of years. A "Gray Age" would be if someone was starting to rethink their views of the hobby and maybe redirect their money/efforts into other projects. I have been distributing my funds to the Titanium Battlestar Galactica and also the Mighty Muggs (OT only) but I'm still planning to own a version of every Star Wars Lego set MISB someday.
The Jinja Ninja wrote: The extended edition includes those scenes (which were replaced with the boulder sequence in the Raiders we know and love) as well as some revisions to the rest of the movie including 'Belloq shot first'
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread from a while back "Do you remember how you came out of your Dark Ages"
Some fun little stories in there!
My Dark Age lasted from 1984 - 1998 ( now that's a Dark Age!) In that period I only ever had the odd LEGO thought pass through my brain, but there was always an underlying love for the brick which was rekindled by Star Wars LEGO.

Brickshelf
Munchy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dark Age was from 1985 to 2000. I was shopping for a Christmas present for my oldest son when I came across the LEGO isle at TRU. I saw 7140 and was hooked all over again.

My wife sure wishes that I never "found" LEGO's again but my kids are loving it.

1,000,000 strong and growing...
cowboycoder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was probably 85-99 I guess. I certainly didn't buy any sets from 85 onwards, at some point after that I made up my 3 favourite CS sets as best I could (many bits missing) to keep, and sold the rest. I had a near miss about 96 when a friend at Uni was bought a set as a 'joke' present, and I thought "Yes, I used to be really into Lego". In the end it was LSW that got me back on board. That and eBay Twisted Evil
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to give my opinion, not that it may help. For me, my Dark Age was only for about 6 months. Ya, sure I was only 14 and am now 15, but things were difficult to choose from then. I just ended 8th grade and was going into my freshman year at high shcool. I had so much on my mind about shcool, classes, friends, etc... LEGO was gradually and gradually getting pulled away from me, until I just didn't care for them. I didn't buy any summer sets, until Christmas which is when I finally got some new LEGO's. I wouldn't say that you can only get a real Dark Age when you are older. It seems that they come when life takes a drastic turn. Like going from 8th grade to 9th or high school to college. And also, by the end of 8th grade, no one, that I knew of, liked LEGOs and it made me feel like an outcast. I didn't want to start high school as the LEGO guy. It wasn't until I finally got to know some kids at school that I started to feel more secure about LEGOs and gradually got pulled back. Until bam, it hit me, I remembered about FBTB and started posting again and I was back.

Basically, you don't have to be an adult to have a Dark Age. I am sure an even larger one will come eventually. But for now, I will just enjoy the time I have.
Ara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi and The Jude nailed it. Mine lasted 1986 - 2004. In 1986 I got my first driver's liscence, a new girlfriend, a new job and a new drum kit. From that point on Lego didn't enter my thoughts. Even though I did own a box of Classic Space sets, Lego was a void in my mind. Now that's a Dark Age.

BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: