FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lord Cornelius Skywalker's Steam Powered Speeder Bike FINAL!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Lord Cornelius Skywalker's Steam Powered Speeder Bike FINAL! Reply with quote

Fuelling up time! Oh, hello monkey.

Monkey wanna help? O.K.

Good monkey. Heh, monkey see, monkey do...

Bad monkey!

I couldn't resist the little story.
The speeder now has a burner at the back.
Cheerio! Very Happy

Gallery when public

Brickshelf

Last edited by R2 Lou2 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's prety good, but looks almost nothing like a speeder bike.
advanced recon commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have to be blunt that looks nothing like a speeder bike. On the plus side you got the steampunk part down really good and I like how you used the oars making it seam like an air boat.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I love it. It is very Steamy and I can tell what it's supposed to be. If you put horizontal lines on that picture above and below the front oars, you can identify the bike.
I think it's a great interpretation.
strwrs429

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for being a speedbike, I don't know. For the creation though it looks great. Good job!
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty good, but couldn't you make the nose a little bit longer, that it looks more like a speederbike? The two front paddles are a little bit too less, I think.

FlickrBrickshelf
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that looks so ridiculously awesome! Good job!

However, I would recommend making the nose more prominent... Very Happy
blackjoker4215

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the whole diorama. I think that the steam speeder bike needs to be cut down. Have you tried making it small and making the noise longer and the tip fatter? A good start. Life is but a dream. Smile

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild!
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Lou. Smile It took me a second to recognize what this was based on but I figured it out. Aside from the contest, this is a great addition to the world of steampunkery. I love the triple cones on the sides. Are they exhaust or propulsion?
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a good entry, but it's definitely a good steampunk MOC. It's got personality, and personality gos a long way. Wink
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest detriment to the model is the relative bulk compared to the Source. It's a great representation, but with the size, my mind keeps wanting to compare it to a snowspeeder more than a speederbike. I see the shape, but it goes too far "down." The biggest culprits are the oars and the wheels (along with the structure for the wheels). They break up the line of the model, and hides the bike aspect.

But as Don said, great steampunkery there. I think it's a wonderful idea of a ship, it's just hard to see what ship.
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone, it is understandable that some are having difficulty seeing the Speeder Bike in amongst all that steam shenannigans. Perhaps a bit of explanation is required.

Being a Cornish boy and unwilling to ignore my roots my initial thoughts were to be respectful to the great Cornish pioneer of steam locomotion, Richard Trevithick and the later and more famous Stephenson's Rocket. Edit: I should be shot for forgetting to mention William Murdoch's Flyer, I only drive past it most days!

Thus, I decided I would incorporate a whopping boiler, hence the use of the dark grey engine, a wooden carriage and a substantial steam pipe.

The parts that identify the machine as a speeder bike to me are the front oars and the shape of the wooden carriage including the chest at the rear.

The rest is whimsical fancy, or some may say, a simple foray into the ridiculous. The boiler turned into a propellor driven torpedo/aircraft engine type thingy and provides forward momentum. The three cones provide the upward thrust, the steering oars are for, well, steering and also if used frantically can add extra oomph to the boiler pressure. The wheels are for landing and taking off but also give this machine land based capabilities on easy terrain.

I should mention the steam pipe and smoke was inspired by Monsieur Rockeau and the cone thrusters were inspired by Shifto's Landspeeder.

I take onboard all your comments, if i get time i'll try de-bulking it a bit and see if I like it.

I have had great fun with this, it's funny, my wife gave me Jules Verne's classic '20,000 leagues under the sea' for christmas and so i was already feeling steampunky before the contest was announced, now i think i'm hooked on the genre full on Very Happy .

Edit: since i've updated my MOC it looks nothing like the early steam locomotives i've drawn attention to here, but if you are interested in the beginnings of steam powered locomotion you might find the links interesting so i'll leave it here. Smile

Brickshelf

Last edited by R2 Lou2 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Duckman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 Lou2 wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone, it is understandable that some are having difficulty seeing the Speeder Bike in amongst all that steam shenannigans. Perhaps a bit of explanation is required.

After the whole explanation.... Confused it still don't look like a bike Confused

Sad Maybe Lord Cornelius Skywalker should redesign his ride. Yeah, its a nice steam'd model, but its kinda not relevant for this competition. If you are serious about it, I would take the advice of the other members, and perhaps redesign the whole thing to in some way shape or form actually resemble a speeder bike, otherwise just change the subject to 'A Steamed MOC' or.... slap a huge brown block to the back, and you've got a steamed punk MTT

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax Ducky dude, there's no need to be rude. There's a re-build on the way.
It's obvious my original MOC splits opinion, some love it some don't like it at all. The explanation wasn't an attempt to persuade anyone that it looks like a speeder bike. I agree that as it turned out it's more of a Steampunk MOC, if you don't like it fair enough, but there's really no need to take the Michael.

Brickshelf
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to keep criticism constructive in all of these posts. That means, if you're not going to give any tips/advice/feedback, don't post in the MOC section.
Duckman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 Lou2 wrote:
Relax Ducky dude, there's no need to be rude. There's a re-build on the way.
It's obvious my original MOC splits opinion, some love it some don't like it at all. The explanation wasn't an attempt to persuade anyone that it looks like a speeder bike. I agree that as it turned out it's more of a Steampunk MOC, if you don't like it fair enough, but there's really no need to take the Michael.

Uhh...Exactly what was rude, I was simply giving advice???

sorry if you feel that way, it must be my way of coming across. I work for the Australian Government.... we are blunt and tell it like it is, but i certainly was not trying to be rude, sorry if it came across that way.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted Duckman.

Updated original post with new version pics. Smile

Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Instantly recognizable. Very Happy
cjdoyle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 is quite sweet - and yes, a much quicker ID as from the Star Wars source. (The oars remain a great touch)

I still think there's great charm in version one, though. If this contest jumpstarts a Steampunk building theme (which I think it has) you've got a great head start on the next theme-in-general contest...
RocketSeason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2 is awesome! Great work dude! I don't know how it stays aloft, but thats part of the charm of Steampunk.
Daiman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like V2 way much better, you've captured the speeder shape
and chunked it up a bit.
This design would make a great drawing.
advanced recon commando

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you really improved it alot. Now i can instantly tell its the speeder bike great job.
Az Gabil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketSeason wrote:
Version 2 is awesome! Great work dude! I don't know how it stays aloft, but thats part of the charm of Steampunk.
Maybe it bounces on those legs - they look springy. Very Happy

Anyway, I echo the previous comments on the new version's recognizability, and the oars. I also like the psuedocamo touch given by Luke's green shirt.
General Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but V2 gives me the impression of a Mecha....
It must be those legs, or I have got to stop watching gundam....

But I love V2. it looks realistic, functional, and adorable. I just might have to build something like this.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 is much, much better. Definitely looks like a Steampunk-speeder. I think it looks a little fat, though, but I don't see how you'd change it without taking anything away from it.
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all done guys, i hope you like it. As always any comments will be appreciated. Smile

Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: