FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steampunk A-wing(Ver 2)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dash Riprock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Steampunk A-wing(Ver 2) Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I've been building for a while, and I decided to enter the Steam Wars contest, I think it's a great concept. Anyway, I have a WIP steampunk A-wing, and I wanted to know what you think.

Clicky

I'm sorry if I broke any rules, I read the guidelines, so I think everything checks out.

Last edited by Dash Riprock on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, could be more sleek but that's just my preference, it fits the steam punk idea well. Really, really nice job on the propellers and boiler at the rear, and I'm amazed at your retractable landing gear. All in all a solid entry. Very Happy
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I love your front red stripe done in plates. The bioler is nice too, but I would suggest smoothing out the contrast between the rear greebly bit and the front...

All in all, looking good! Very Happy
blackjoker4215

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I noticed was the landing gear. GREAT JOB with those! I like the design. I was going to use the LEGO compass too, but I couldn't fit it in anywhere. Good job.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild!
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those landing gear! Amazing stuff. Great work all around! I also love the red on it, and the back propellers. This almost looks like a WWII era interceptor.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shifto Canucki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boiler looks really nice. I love the "plankish" look of the red stripe. landing gear is a win as well.

I agree with DonSolo that it could be a bit more sleek. You may consider removing the front blasters, extending the props back a bit and shortening the wingspan slightly. Also having the wings back swept like they are contributes to the stumpiness a bit. Turning them around will have all the lines flowing in one direction making for a sleeker over all look.

Great choice of ship. Good luck with the contest!

-Shifto
Dash Riprock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, really it needs to be sleeker? I think I can do that if I lengthen the front and smooth out the sides. How does everyone feel about the smaller hoses and chains? Stay or go?

Thanks for the advice, I really want this to be a winner.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to go out and steal my idea, huh? Wink

Plus...you have to make it so good..no fair. Razz My only issue is that it seems a little too big, but it's a lot easier to pack details into larger things.
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a really nice MOC that just needs a few minor modifications. As others have mention, try to make it more streamlined. I think the suggestion to reverse the wings would really help.

However, my main beef with it is the inclusion of brown pieces. I think that with as many colors as you have, they're not really necessary (Methinks you may have included them because everyone else is). Also, I think that the brown really clashes with the red. I would try replacing the two in front with their dark-bley equivelants. Light bley or black may also work, but I think dark-bley would make a transition from the engines. Just my opinion.
Dash Riprock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I took a little bit of advice from everybody, and rebuilt my A-wing. I took out the brown and replaced it with white, took off the hoses and chains, lengthened the front and streamlined the nose. Let me know what you think of version two.

New front

knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc's broken record once again - use more light! Laughing

You're on to something with this MOC, but it's so hard to see the greeblies in the engine without more light. If it won't stand up to the "light of day" no amount of shadowy photography is going to save your MOC.

As for the model itself, what about making the tails a little bigger? With the oversizing on the rear winglets, the tails are looking a little slender.
Dash Riprock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read a post on builders lounge about photography, so I did what I could with what I had. I added another light and took the flash off my camera, I think it came out better. If you want to see the greebles, they're in the first post, with much more light. Do you mean the vertical fins?
Master_Kenobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this thing is looking pretty cool! I too also like the retracable landing gear, that's a really nice touch. My only real nitpick when I looked at the first version was the brown slopes on the front, but I'm glad you removed them. It's coming along quite well!

<James>

I'll lightsabone ya!
blackjoker4215

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new look. Also what would it look like without the back wings?

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild!
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is much improved over the old version. I really like it... and the fact that you followed my advice Smile Good Job.
Duckman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about these pics strikes me as a :

'Back to the future Part III A-Wing'

I like it though, but I somehow expect Marty to jump out with an old wooden Imperial hoverboard

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't totally scream "Steampunk", but it's still great. I might just add less gray, and the red looks a little out of place. Sand red might work better, or a tan color.
Dash Riprock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I wish I could do everything in black and new brown, but I just don't have the parts. After I finished everything, I definitely thought it leaned more towards WWII. I'm still not sure about the wings, but I don't think anything else makes much sense. Balloons don't really represent speed, and this is an A-wing.
RocketSeason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cool. I am sure that if they could get a craft to fly on steam power They would be able to paint it red as well.

This color scheme make it stand out. Which is a good thing.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it, I love the details in it.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: