FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No more 'What ________ do you __________' threads.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: No more 'What ________ do you __________' threads. Reply with quote

Any offenders will have their thread instantly mocked and locked.

Last edited by Zombie Austin on Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Yarns87

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that include Where, When, Why, and How ________ do you ________ threads too? Wink

I don't know if all of them should be locked. Some could be of a more important nature. I agree that most should be locked, especially ones including one's hygiene. But still, I think there should be some allowed. Not many, but some.
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but point still being.
imperialshadows

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sheds a tear as his dream of a 'What kind of threads do you lock' thread is dashed against the cruel rocks of Austinland, jutting it's viscious craggy destruction deep into my heart*

Dark and Menacing

Please check out my Brickshelf Gallery. It is your DESTINY.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MOCK this thread.

Are there too many teenagers with too much time on their hands?
Doesn't this kill the FUN threads at FBTB?
Is FBTB going back to its roots of Lego + Star Wars?
Have the moderators thrown away their horse blinders?

Suggestions:
Lock all forums except Lego Star Wars.
Require that ALL messages are moderated before being seen.

One line posts and spam posts will disappear. We will only get quality Star Wars + Lego content once again.

Taken LITERALLY, any post with WHAT, WHO, WHY, WHEN, HOW, DO or YOU should be locked. Hmm, that must be every topic.

Too Broad. Too Lame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not. Confused
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I summed up my real feelings on the last line.
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty sad that we actually need a thread to avoid more useless 'What do you...' topics.

BAA, you have to admit that moderating each post before allowing it to be posted would require tremendous time? Not to mention how confusing threads may become.
The Sissy CSI

Location: In the days before custom avatars... Real name: The Sissy Jedi...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Say it together:

Thank-You Austin

Those threads are really stupid.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Angel Alita wrote:
Doesn't this kill the FUN threads at FBTB?
Hang on a sec... you really think those mindless threads are the fun ones? Really? Look around dude, there's fun to be had. The only point of those threads is to say "I can't think of anything decent to post, but I absolutely need to right now!"

And Poohbear, yes. It is indeed very sad.
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Austin!!!

I said it before and I'll say it again: FBTB created its own forums so that discussions could be focused on LEGO, Star Wars, and any combination of these subjects.

Personally, I'm glad that actions are taken to bring FBTB back to these roots.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we are basically eliminating the threads that let us get to know each other on a more personal basis? Ok, for some of these "Survey Threads" I can see why they are stupid and completely unnecessary (AKA What do you clean yourself with? When do you clean yourself? How old are you? When did you lose your first tooth? What browser do you use? etc.), but I am sure there are threads that ask a question that will clearly help us get to know each other better. Now, I know that's not the point of FBTB, or at least what it once was, however, I do think a few good question threads do help us become closer as a community. However, there are more threads that are completely pointless than not, and I can see why a broad ban would help. Some people just need to think before they make a thread, not make a thread for the sake of getting replies.

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Mequalspi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the point is not for discussion. For example, say I was not happy with my current shampoo, and wanted to know what other people used in the interest of finding a new one without trying random bottles that take forever to use up. I can see how a thread like the what you wash yourself with is useless, but what if it wasn't useless: would it still get locked?
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, though this hypothetical situation is a bit far-fetched (asking online buddies for shampoo advice to maximize volume and shine), I suppose a question related to "Can you guys help me pick out a brand of shampoo?" might be logical. Only if he/she was to explain what he's tried, what it did or didn't do and what he/she expects from a shampoo. However, I would still reject a thread such as this because of the subject matter, I would rather it be about mp3 players or laptops.

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlasticJedi wrote:
I am sure there are threads that ask a question that will clearly help us get to know each other better.
Link to a couple to help illustrate this if you can please... really, how much of the survey threads is retained?

And so far as the shampoo question goes - that seems like too much of a stretch to justify a thread like that. If you have a genuine question that you can get help from in here, ask it. You'll know the difference and if you don't a mod will.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I get the point.
It's still allowed to post asking-threads, but the subject should be choosen wisely.
For example "How do you clean Lego?" is good.
But "How do you clean yourself" is bad.

Right?

Smile

FlickrBrickshelf
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
ThePlasticJedi wrote:
I am sure there are threads that ask a question that will clearly help us get to know each other better.
Link to a couple to help illustrate this if you can please... really, how much of the survey threads is retained?

Well, I can't think of any off-hand, but they have to exist right? Razz

I do agree that they tend to be lead off-topic a bit more than a normal thread might. I do support the decision in a compromise sorta way.

Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoohBear: Yes, Moderating EVERY post == Lots of time. But, FBTB would STOP being a poor man's substitute for IRC chat or Instant Messenger with all the lame one-line posts.

DonSolo: Actually, I might rejoice a return to our roots of Lego + Star Wars and lock BCS for a month. I think I spammed before that I am against people posting to hear the sound of their own typing. After the second page, most topics have degenerated into one-line spam posts that are Off Topic.

I'd be all for changing this topic to "Don't Post Stupid". It's a command that can be taken as a personal insult. I think it's my new "This Thread Should Die!" catch phrase. SWEET!

It'd be so cool if we had rights to lock threads with this:

We could even update this graphic for the CoC.

... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, there's a line where you're trying to be helpful on one side and you're just being rude on the other. Those ideas are needlessly crossing the line.
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Angel Alita wrote:
I think it's my new "This Thread Should Die!" catch phrase.

© ME and patent pending...

Razz

Seriously, folks, I don't think we absolutely need those kind of threads to get to know each other better.

I also think that the goal here isn't to prevent people from asking legitimate advices from of our fellow Bothans about hair products (however strange that may be), but rather - as pointed out by someone else in this thread - to cut down on the "I don't know what to post but I need to post so I'm going to post a survey" threads.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
You see, there's a line where [this thread is] trying to be helpful on one side and [this thread is] just being rude on the other. [This thread is] needlessly crossing the line.

This does feel like a knee-jerk reaction to:
1. Too many teens with too much time on their hands posting.
2. Older members getting tired of all these little posts.
3. Older members sending cranky PMs to Mods.
4. Mods getting cranky because they get cranky PMs.

Those old members FORGET that they too posted a lot of spam in their early days.
Those old members FORGET that older members back in the day made cranky posts about them.

This thread was way too broad. Take action but do it right.
Either, take FBTB back to its roots.
Or, tweak FBTB Code of Conduct #4 to include more.
Quote:
4. Postings intended to disrupt the boards will be removed immediately upon detection; multiple violations may result in administrative action. Such postings include, but are not limited to, spamming (multiple copies in one area or the same communication in multiple areas), off-topic threads, and using other Members’ names in subject headings or replies with derogatory intent. Off-topic threads which do not otherwise violate these guidelines will be relocated to the appropriate forum.

... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a reaction to dumb posts, that's all. The only one in here that seems like they're getting cranky is you BAA... I don't think the older members are forgetting they used to post some junk back in the day - heck, some still post it from time to time. It wasn't just new guys clowning around in the hygiene thread. I even played along - 'cause it was started while I was gone for the weekend and the rest of the staff left it alone. Oz decided it was enough and gave it the boot.

Also, saying just because some older members spammed a bit back in the day doesn't mean the activity should be ignored. Quite the opposite. But the idea of cutting the community down to just LEGO Star Wars discussions is needlessly extreme... but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't mind adding a sort of "no dumb threads" clause to the CoC though. Wink
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm probably weird in that I get annoyed by whiner threads about spammer threads.

Yeah! I get to go put on my Beer Goggles. I'll be back in a few.
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the biggest annoyances here is that almost everyone tries to make a joke out of everything. Heck, most topics would stay on topic if noone made any jokes. Now, I'm not saying I don't enjoy a little humor, but really, everyone doesn't have to be funny.

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and most of the jokes aren't even that good... Confused
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even the bad jokes inspire others to make more and more jokes... Heck, look at what happened to the what you clean yourself with thread, it would have sunk within no time if noone had made jokes (Well, I pitched a post in that one). But, there's really no way to stop this, people will always drag threads off-topic. Well, unless you ban them for doing so. But that's just extreme.

Well, I guess this post is even a bit off-topic, but it beats making a separate rant topic.

TPJ

Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlasticJedi wrote:
Well, I guess this post is even a bit off-topic, but it beats making a separate rant topic.

Hey! Cool idea. Can we sticky a thread "I don't like _____ threads" rant thread.
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thereby creating a 'What kind of thread do you hate?' thread, causing the universe to rupture at its own seams with a level of irony so rich that a thousand millionaires couldn't begin to touch it's splendor.

I think the real solution is to A) put more thought into community posts and B) post responses that contain at least some grain of thought.
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is you have to trust the Mods & Admins to decide what's a reasonable topic for a thread NO MATTER WHAT, anyways.

Whether it's a "what kind of blank do you blank?" (personally, *i* blank the chewy green ones) or it's "Battle Packs! Thread #15", they weigh what's best for the boards & make the call.

And also- let's not catastrophise every time a guideline is pinned. People- it's not the end of the world if a thread gets locked! Rolling Eyes

(BTW- i was quick on the draw when it came to the shampoo thread. Razz )
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle-Anj-Izzle got a little too into it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: