FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brickshelf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I wanna know, why Kevin did this?

My Brickshelf Gallery
kevblee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a few of my folders off this morning, before the "s" link went down.....this really sucks. It was such a great place to go to see what people were building.....I hope we see it resurrected.
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
Personally, if I was Kevin and I read all the Bantha Poodoo that some members on Lugnet are throwing at him right now, I would intentionally and permanently erased all their galleries to teach them a lesson.
Yeah, did you accidentally lose dozens of irreplaceable pics? I'm sorry, but thousands of pictures just disappeared. Is it too much to ask to tolerate some people reacting with sarcasm and humor?

Of course whining about it will accomplish nothing, but neither will ten thousand separate emails from one thousand BShelf users! I, for one, know nothing about website mechanics or economics, but I'm sure there are many site-owners in the AFOL community who have already contacted Kevin, and anyone else with useful knowledge and resources ought to. If it comes down to money, of course I'll pay or donate as I'm sure thousands of others will.

Last edited by JPCJedi on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigFatZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I come back out of the shadows after two years to post something and I find my gallery has "discontinued operation." Confused

Oh well, nothing but old crappy pics on there anyways. On to Flickr, I suppose...
Wait, what's a '
Z'?
fivezero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried logging on to their account using maj.com? I did and it was there.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comment from Troy at Bricklink gives hope
http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=209386

FlickrBrickshelf
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andi, I guess that helps a little. Rolling Eyes I hope it's not gone forever. That would be terrible Crying or Very sad . I love seeing all the cool things people can do with legos.
brickshipyard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: This is the present, now what could be the future? Reply with quote

Yeah Bad afternoon everyone... as sad as I am, you are, and probably every young lego enthusiast will be if they'd ever gotten to know a wonderful site like Brickshelf I see opportunity in this fallout. Brickshelf has left a vacuum for users wishing to post lego images. I have heard flickr is one possible alternative... but personally I've never been that big an admirer.

If Lugnet doesn't manage to save their most revealed online destination, than I think, dare I make a suggestion for fear of drawing criticism from Admin and members here a like.... that FBTB could try to carry the mantle of brickshelf.... but that is a big if, probably a no go. But I like to think of possibilities as crazy as they may be. Why do I suggest this? Well FBTB is just as huge as Lugnet, however the one problem I see is that FBTB caters to SW lego fans, not everyone else really. But THINK about it! Without Brickshelf, lugnet just isn't amazing anymore. IF FBTB were looking for a niche to increase its popularity, membership, w/e, a brickshelf alternative could be the ticket.

One more thing, this is just an idea, don't attack me personally for suggesting it. If you don't like it fine, w/e, but realize I am as much as a lego fan as the next AFOL and want to see something like brickshelf SURVIVE.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the present, now what could be the future? Reply with quote

brickshipyard wrote:
Well FBTB is just as huge as Lugnet...

Not even close! Besides, most Lugneters are AFOLs and many of them are prominent members in the community, where most of the FBTB members are kids/collectors with some to very little experience with the bricks...

My Brickshelf Gallery
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the present, now what could be the future? Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
brickshipyard wrote:

Not even close! Besides, most Lugneters are AFOLs and many of them are prominent members in the community, where most of the FBTB members are kids/collectors with some to very little experience with the bricks...

...and adult builders and collectors who don't big, childish arguments. Smile
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the present, now what could be the future? Reply with quote

Pepa Quin wrote:
Darkkazmo wrote:
brickshipyard wrote:

...and adult builders and collectors who don't big, childish arguments. Smile

That too... ::D:

My Brickshelf Gallery
brickshipyard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Darkkazmo, you are always at my heels it seems Smile but I think I agree with you on the age of members here and over at Lugnet. However, you can not deny that FBTB is one of the bigger fish in the ocean after Lugnet.

Papa- hmmm sorry but I can't figure out what your comment refers to exactly, although I detect sarcasm. I don't like arguments either, but Darkkazmo makes a good distinction b/w FBTB and Lugnet, and I welcome his thoughts. Any possible way to keep Brick Shelf running does not seem childish to me, even if we engage in arguments. [/quote]
lowlead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think PQ is referring to the elitist romper room skirmishes that occasionally surface over at LUGNET.

Perhaps it's expected and/or unavoidable on some boards, but quite embarassing for a site whose members are mostly 'adults.'
brickshipyard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think PQ is referring to the elitist romper room skirmishes that occasionally surface over at LUGNET.

Perhaps it's expected and/or unavoidable on some boards, but quite embarassing for a site whose members are mostly 'adults.'

Ahhh ok, thanks for the clarification lowlead Smile. If there ever was a time to see adults argue over lego, I'd confidently say now is that time. AFOL's Go To War Episode 1 Wink j/k
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there's more to this than him just up and dropping the site completely. It doesn't make sense to me at all that KL would do that.

Regardless, I'm really, really sad to see this happen, simply because of the massive amounts of great and classic old stuff that lived in those galleries. Not to mention stuff that just can't be replaced, like Travis Kunce's MOCs. Kevin Blocksidge mentioned over on CSF that he MIGHT have all of Travis's stuff saved on an old compuer of his. I really hope he does.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
legomd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumor has it that brickshelf is not completely gone, but is undergoing some sort of change. over at bricklink, someone close to the source is saying that brickshelf may become fee-based. so i guess the good news is that all of the cool pics that we initially thought were gone forever are still still around. i anxiously await the return of brickshelf. talk about not knowing what you've got until its gone.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just sad seeing the community get stirred up only when there is a tragic event or a trendy fight got started with a "childlish act" by an AFOL... It's just so freakin geeky!
And Brickshipyard, if you ever had the chance to track my postings, you'd find that I love to have fun with cool dudes... Wink
Cool means awesome time bro...

My Brickshelf Gallery
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legomd wrote:
rumor has it that brickshelf is not completely gone, but is undergoing some sort of change. over at bricklink, someone close to the source is saying that brickshelf may become fee-based.

I can understand KL wanting to switch to a pay-site. I can't begin to imagine how much money Brickshelf costs these days to operate.

I really hope they're in the process of a massive and super-shiny facelift, though. I know some people contributed to the "old" site, but I can't see more people doing that unless they update the interface and ameneties.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zom-9
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this day is just going from bad to worse. Sad This was my favorite Lego site and now its gone.

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
lowlead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly there are waaaaaay too many Mainers on these boards.

Ayuh gettin' a bit crowded in heah Very Happy
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what happened but I get the general idea. I have to echo some peoples comments that if you lost images from this then you're out of luck, and it's your own fault. I know that the ToS said it was never a guarantee that the site would stay online forever (in different words than that) and as it is with any photo hosting site that you should keep a backup on your system in case of any errors or changes in service.

That being said, this is just terrible for the AFOL community... a sad day indeed to lose all those inspiring MOCs in one glance. Sad
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
That being said, this is just terrible for the AFOL community... a sad day indeed to lose all those inspiring MOCs in one glance. Sad

I think the whole LEGO community, not just the AFOLs, are affected by this.
SavaTheAggie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
It seems like there's more to this than him just up and dropping the site completely. It doesn't make sense to me at all that KL would do that.

I agree. Maj is still up, and no warning was given. I doubt money is the true source of the problem because all he'd have had to say is "start donating or the site's going down" and he would have gotten it.

No, I'm going to go out on a limb and say something legal happened. I know nothing about it, but I would bet a few bucks that something about the Brickshelf site infringed on something, a law, a copyright, a contract, something, and KL was given a cease and decist order to shut down.

Of course I'm just waxing poetic here, I've been known to be wrong many times.

--Tony

Warnung! Diese Unterschrift ist Staatseigentum!
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavaTheAggie wrote:

... I'm going to go out on a limb and say something legal happened. I know nothing about it, but I would bet a few bucks that something about the Brickshelf site infringed on something, a law, a copyright, a contract, something, and KL was given a cease and decist order to shut down.

Of course I'm just waxing poetic here, I've been known to be wrong many times.

--Tony

I was discussing privately with someone exactly the same subject, and this scenario sounds the most logical so far, because I doubt that Kevin would shut down the whole thing without giving the community some type of warning, unless he had to... But who knows, time will tell...

My Brickshelf Gallery
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trademark/copyright problems with what? I don't know of another that caters to lego fans only like brickshelf does.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCJedi wrote:
Daz Hoo wrote:
Personally, if I was Kevin and I read all the Bantha Poodoo that some members on Lugnet are throwing at him right now, I would intentionally and permanently erased all their galleries to teach them a lesson.
Yeah, did you accidentally lose dozens of irreplaceable pics?

Nope, because I'm cautious enough to have backups of all my important stuff. Like others pointed out, backing up your own files should be your responsability.

JPCJedi wrote:
I'm sorry, but thousands of pictures just disappeared. Is it too much to ask to tolerate some people reacting with sarcasm and humor?

Yes, if Brickshelf is going out of business, it is a sad day for the LEGO community in general. But what I read on LUGnet looked more like a public lynching of Kevin (and Brickshelf) than sarcastic and humoristic comments...

JPCJedi wrote:
Of course whining about it will accomplish nothing, but neither will ten thousand separate emails from one thousand BShelf users! I, for one, know nothing about website mechanics or economics, but I'm sure there are many site-owners in the AFOL community who have already contacted Kevin, and anyone else with useful knowledge and resources ought to. If it comes down to money, of course I'll pay or donate as I'm sure thousands of others will.

My grandmother use to say : "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." I don't expect everyone to come up with a solution, nor to be able to help out. But, like you pointed out, whining publicly about it or posting things like "It's typical of Kevin to do this" or "Thanks to Loch, I lost most of MY MOCs" is not going to help the situation in any way.

So why do it? Why do some feel the need to drag someone's name in the mud without knowing all the facts?

Seriously, IMHO, that's the kind of attitude that is slowly but surely killing LUGnet.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG

Last edited by Dazombie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
errbt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the "vague warnings" over the last few years, I do seem to remember something on B-shelf that pointed to maj.com, encouraging users to migrate their files over to it (which certainly confused me, since I thought the whole point of maj was for anything non-LEGO - I figured it wouldn't make sense to put LEGO pics up there.

Oh well, whether it comes back or not, we should all really thank Kevin for the years and years of hosting the site (regardless of how we may feel about the sudden "disappearance"), probably costing big money that donations only dented a bit (I feel some guilt right now, having only donated a small amount a few times).

If the Lugnet rumours are true, and it will resurface as a pay site, I'd have no problem with that.

Either way,

SINCERE THANKS FOR THE USE OF YOUR SITE OVER THE YEARS, KEVIN!

-Brian

My MOCpages page

My Brickshelf Gallery

Myspace Page
cmbeal317

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thank Kevin for the time spent on the old brickshelf. Hopefully if and when it comes back it will be better than ever. Very Happy
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really was a great site. I made a point of checking there on a regular basis. I got so many ideas and a lot of inspiration from there.
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all just stop worrying about it and move on, I mean come on, it is pissing EVERYONE off. People who lost many of their files are mad about that, and the others are angry with us for whining about it, saying we were stupid and didn't back up our files like 'they' do.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: