FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brickshelf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enigma
Lazy Hippy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I be the first to agree with you? BCspeed?

If kevin really did shut down the site on purpose without telling anyone, then he had every right and reason in the world to I'm sure. Whether we like it or not, that's another thing.

Keivn has pretty much been hung out to dry on LUGnet, head on a pike for the whole world to see.

So time to move on...everybody get flickr!

-Jordan

Enigma? Flickr? Word...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma wrote:
So time to move on...everybody get flickr!

Personally, I hate Flickr. I find it slow and really hard to navigate.

But that's not the biggest problem with the (supposed) dissapearance of Brickshelf IMHO.

The problem is that everyone in the LEGO community knew that you could find pics of almost anything LEGO related on Brickshelf. From official sets to MOCs to pictures of layouts in shows, Brickshelf was a reference to anyone interested in building with LEGO, whether it was for inspiration, learning new techniques or just comparing your work with others. Brickshelf provided a kind of a central database for all, from the aspiring to the expert builders.

Sure, we can all find some place on the Internet to host pics of our creations, layouts and sets. But the community will loose that "centralized database" aspect of Brickshelf that as helped this hobby grow over the last few years.

That, IMHO, would (will?) be a great setback in the development of this hobby that we all love.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please don't go to flickr. I still like that site. There are many good pics... good photography... I don't want to be bombarded by blurry, unfocused images of a rainbow colored blob. That was probably the main reason I stopped visiting brickshelf. I just found each trip more depressing than inspiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CAV Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
The problem is that everyone in the LEGO community knew that you could find pics of almost anything LEGO related on Brickshelf. From official sets to MOCs to pictures of layouts in shows, Brickshelf was a reference to anyone interested in building with LEGO, whether it was for inspiration, learning new techniques or just comparing your work with others. Brickshelf provided a kind of a central database for all, from the aspiring to the expert builders.

Sure, we can all find some place on the Internet to host pics of our creations, layouts and sets. But the community will loose that "centralized database" aspect of Brickshelf that as helped this hobby grow over the last few years.

That, IMHO, would (will?) be a great setback in the development of this hobby that we all love.

Amen, brother.

The loss of personal files is...sad, the loss of others' MOCs is terribly depressing, but the loss of perhaps the major central resource, where everyone knew they could go for inspiration, new MOCs, new set info and pictures, is a terrible blow to the community. I don't fault Kevin in the slightest, he has his reasons. But when and if Brickshelf comes back up, whether required or not, I will eagerly stand in line(Can you stand in line-online? Confused ) with my donation/fee in hand ready to do my part to ensure that this great resource lasts as long as there are still AFOLs and kids enjoying the brick.
And it goes by the name of ...
Bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it was a money issue. If it was a money issue, couldn't he have put a bunch of Ads everywhere to pay for the costs of the site?
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is just a scare tactic to get people to start paying for Brickshelf, I'm pissed. Mad <--(my angry face)

I wouldn't mind paying a little for a service but if this was a purposeful attempt at scaring people into it...

it would reek of some major d-baggery.

I only said if, so nobody jump to conclusions. Wink
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up for flickr, then deleted my test pictures. No direct link? Edited and converted to jpg? Forget it!

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
TsoAutTmo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise flickr.

It's slow, the order of the photos is messed up, and you have a limited number of sets if not Pro. And for Pro, you must pay.

bleh:x
Dark Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found BrickShelf to be an inspirational resource over the years and was constantly amazed at the high level of creativity displayed by so many people.

Personally, while I would be disappointed if I had lost what for some people may have been years of work, I just hope that Kevin Loch is ok and that it isn't some personal tragedy that has suddenly brought the site to a halt.

Just my AUD 0.02 (which currently converts to about USD 0.017), but I hope that all of those who are feeling angry and upset about this take a couple of minutes to, well not speculate but, consider that it may have been something serious that has caused this.
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news was so worrying I actually dreamt last night that Brickshelf had miraculously resurrected, and was going to post it on the forums when I woke up.

Anyway, I just joined Flickr, rather reluctantly I might add. I'm expecting Kevin to issue a statement of some sort to go with his "discontinued operation" notice. I hope Flickr isn't as irritating as its oft made out to be!

><>
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read most of this thread but no one seems to have brought up another idea as to what happened; couldn't Brickshelf have been hacked? This was thought up by a Rebelscum member who like myself, has been getting security warnings whenever visiting the back door sites to Brickshelf and sometimes when going directly there via my bookmarks.
Isaac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been using BrickShelf much lately, but I've had some favorite galleries bookmarked, and what a shock it was when I checked one today.

A replacement will inevitably rise, but if BS truly isn't coming back, then this is a great loss indeed. The explanation could be any number of things, but I'd say the owner of BS was pretty angry and disgruntled maybe about being underappreciated, or an unexpected and great problem happened for him. It's just a terrible shame that there was no forewarning.

Looking at the bright side, in the very least this mishap should show just how fickle the Web can be, and why you shouldn't take things for granted.
elkor-alish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally I don't believe Brickshelf is gone but if by chance it is then what's wrong with this site?

http://www.maj.com/

Yeah the pics are still gone but the set up is the same and you can even login with the same username and password as Brickshelf.

I'd rather have Brickshelf back though and I'd gladly pay (not too much) for the privilege. Smile
badgerboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fantasy land we are crossing all of our appendages and digits and anything else we can get our hands on!
We are hoping that a miraculous resurrection is on the cards... a new, bigger, better brickshelf to display our models on?

It's really sad if it's gone, but we must be resolute, I say stand up in the face of adversity! There are alternatives, admittedly, none so fine as the industry standard Brickshelf...
...none of the alternatives particularly appeal to me personally, but I've a feeling that we will all need to find that alternative sooner or later so that we can continue discussion, sharing and interacting in the way we have become accustomed.

If the owner of BS has decided to call it a day, then I can understand that! If he is reading this, I for one would just like to say THANK YOU! for all that you did to help the ease and enjoyment of my hobby.

I hadn't really considered that the service might stop... I hadn't really considered anything about the site other than it was an amazing useful resource and a great place to kill hours over lunch!

I'm not sure I want a flickr account... I don't really like the other gallery sites either... Searching for images of LEGO will never quite be the same again... I'm sad (and don't usually use emoticons, so it must be bad) Sad Crying or Very sad Question Crying or Very sad
imperialshadows

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning through these pages, I'm not sure if it's been suggested or not, but if you did lose something particularly valuable to you, it isn't necessarily gone completely.

First option, if you've viewed it yourself recently, or have a bad habit of not clearing your cache often, check there. You may find just what you feared lost.

Second option isn't as likely, but still possible. Ask here. Yes, some people visited Brickshelf to download as many inspiring pics as possible, storing them locally. I know I did. I have folders and folders of mocs, others should as well. Couldn't hurt to ask.

As for an opinion on the situation... Nothing is free forever. Well, almost nothing. That's probably what's happened here. Sad to see it happen without warning, but it was probably inevitable.

Dark and Menacing

Please check out my Brickshelf Gallery. It is your DESTINY.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of y'all who are trash-talking Flickr have actually used it recently. Especially now that Yahoo is in charge of it. I haven't had a single problem with it, and the 25 bucks I put down for my Pro account every year is some of the best money I spend. It's fast, it's smart, it's pretty, and it's everything I ever need for image hosting and organizing. No regrets at all.

I'm intrigued by the theory that KL got some kind of cease and desist order. But what could have caused something like that to happen???

Wouldn't it be funny if KL is actually in the process of really updating the look of the site? And he's gonna surprise the hell out of the whole community by bringing back Brickshelf, complete with everyone's pictures, and a brand-new and super pretty look? Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think we could use a little optimism here. Wink

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the standard flickr account, and do not like it very much. Maybe it's better with the pro.
But the nice thing with Brickshelf is, that there's only Lego. From everyone in the whole world.
That you do not have with flickr, photobucket or all the others.

I try to be optimistic, but it's hard.

FlickrBrickshelf
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flickr is a good site for what it is, but it can never be a replacement for Brickshelf. Here's a few key reasons:

1. Purpose
Brickshelf was dedicated to Lego creations (although for legal reasons any building block brands were permitted, of course). Flickr, and any other public networking and photo-sharing site like it, are for everyone. Everyone. It's not a dedicated Lego site, so it's hard to go searching for new inspiration. Which brings me to:

2. Networking
Unless you really want to dig through endless amounts of vacation, baby, and pet pictures when looking through Flickr, the only way you're really going to see Lego pictures is when your friends and contacts add them. Now, this IS a nice feature - I do enjoy knowing when people I'm acquainted with upload new creations. However, I've had a Flickr account for well over a year now and I have a total of 67 contacts. There are THOUSANDS of Lego builders out there, and I will NEVER have them all in my contact list. And if I did, there would be so many new postings I would probably miss it when my actual friends upload new ones.

3. Searching
With a dedicated Lego site like Brickshelf, all i have to do it type in 'Millennium Falcon' and I'm treated to a wide variety of creations and displays about the ship (and I'd finally made it to the first search page a few weeks ago, thank you very much Razz ). Try that in Flickr. The Lego pictures you get are few and far between, and it's mostly pictures of the sets. (Note: Thanks to Joe Meno, the first custom Lego falcon found in ths manner is my own Smile - but it's not until the third page of search results).
Now, all of you sadists will say "But it's simple! All you have to do is add Tags to every photo so that it's easily searchable by keyword." I have over TEN THOUSAND PHOTOS on Brickshelf (and they're all resized to take up low disk space thankyouverymuch). If you would like to come over to my house, upload ALL my photos on to Flickr and Tag each one appropriatly then please, be my guest. I'll even give you lunch.

4. Orientation
Go to www.flickr.com and you'll see one of two screens. If you're like me, and you're logged in all the time, you'll see your personal home page that shows, in order, your most recent photos, your friends photos, and then a non-picture link for 'everyone's' photos. If you're not logged in, you won't see anyone's photos - just large sections of the page that tell you what you're missing because you're not signed up, and a small search box.

Flickr is all about YOU.

Check this out: Archived Random Brickshelf Page (the pictures probably won't load but you know what was supposed to be there). What's the first thing you see? There's a log-in area for yourself. There's some ads, and then there's links to various categories. Above all that, though, the FIRST thing that you see, are pictures of creations - most of whom belong to people you don't (and probably never will) know.

Brickshelf is all about US.
It IS the Lego community. There's a thousand different Lego fan sites, but Brickshelf was the ONE site we ALL shared. We need Brickshelf, or a site like it, to bring us all together.

Flickr is not the answer.

Let me end this by saying that I DO like Flickr. It's a nice place for me to put up a few photos that I can share with my friends and contacts. I can get personal comments and critiques on projects that I'm working on - and trust me, they are an immense help. It's also nice to put up non-Lego pictures up there. I recently put up pictures of my new nephew - not a lot (I'm not crazy), but just two pictures because I'm very proud of him and my sister (who went through a 48+ hour labor!) I would never put that up on Brickshelf, though, unless I made a mosaic of his face. Smile
If you're interested in seeing my Flickr gallery, you can check it out here. There's nice pictures there, but you're certainly not getting everything.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this nugget come up yet (apologies if it has already and I've just missed it), but over the weekend Draykov had pointed out this post of Troy's over at Bricklink:

Troy wrote:
I have slightly more info than I have stated, but far from the entire story. I do not wish to expand further at this time so as not to mess up anything that is in the works.

Just be assured that things are being worked on and that BrickShelf is not lost. When more information is available, it will be presented.

Troy

We're of course all eager to get more information but let's all keep in mind that, for better or worse, the public doesn't know exactly what's going on yet. There are still no sure answers yet about what's happening to Brickshelf– please just keep that in mind.

I know this's been a crazy turn of events that's shaken quite a few people. For the most part, you guys have been doing a great job of keeping this about a discussion of Brickshelf, its fate, and (temporary?) photo-posting alternatives instead of letting it degenerate into nasty personal attacks in one direction or another. Thank you for that, it's commendable.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad This was not the birthday present that I wanted Crying or Very sad

I do want it to return. If not, I hope that something can be done to bring it back as an archive site at least. Brickshelf was the central spot of so many lego pictures and files. It was a central gathering spot of so many fans of Lego.

EDIT: Thanks Morgan for the positive news.

Last edited by Battle Zombie Alita on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
badgerboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated previously in this topic; on www.maj.com you can log in using your old brickshelf login...

So the only current issue is with all the lovely old mocs that we can't search through anymore. It's a real pain that those are (for now) gone but I think that as long as we can continue to communicate about lego we will be ok. It won't be as nice without Brickshelf, but it will work (in a way). We can still use our old usernames etc. on maj so, we can still upload our new models/finds etc. to discuss here.

If the worst should happen, and we are without BS forever more, I think there are some valid points being raised in the discussions happening in the lego should buy... in the Ask Lego forum.

There may be some distinct disadvantages, but as has been mentioned, searching purely for lego creations is too painful to contemplate without a dedicated site.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, until we have more information, its too soon to start really planning a next step. Maybe this is only temporary and brickshelf will be restored while I type this (or while you read it). Or maybe it is gone for good. Point is, we don't know, so we shouldn't be taking steps yet.

What I do suggest is the various heads of the community (i.e. site admins, ambassadors, etc.) should be coordinating and discussing the matter with each other. Thus, if brickshelf is truly gone, they could be in a position to rally the community (I'm willing to offer some help for this in what limited abilities I have) to set up a similar central/universal replacement site. What I don't want to see is a fractured set up (with a castle-brickshelf.com and a space-brickshelf.com and a pirate-brickshelf.com and an adventurers-brickshelf.com) the way the forums have become... Something like that is just too much to keep up with. And that is what's going to happen, if everyone doesn't get together on this, panics and starts to prematurely set up a replacement.

Personally, I'm not sure I like the idea of Lego taking over brickshelf... too much bureaucratic and corporate issues with that.

Caution, thoughtfulness, organization and unity,

Steve
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
I just signed up for flickr, then deleted my test pictures. No direct link? Edited and converted to jpg? Forget it!

I'm pretty sure you can get a direct link....
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Iare, if you click on "All Sizes" on the picture's page, it'll take you to a page where you can get a direct link.

Also, regarding the file type thing, your original file (Again, click on All Sizes) will stay in its original form, be it PNG, GIF, or whatever.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerboy wrote:
As stated previously in this topic; on www.maj.com you can log in using your old brickshelf login...

and....? Are you just saying that we can host our pictures on maj without having to register or are you suggesting Brickshelf will come back since both sites are under the same person?
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's back.

Get your goods while you can. Brickshelf is gone at the end of this month.

Crisis averted (for now!)
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah? Okay I'll test flickr again.

Since brickshelf disappeared without warning, I will assume that maj will do same in future. It doesn't matter how many years in future.

Whoa!!

Notice: Brickshelf will be shutting down on 2007/07/31.
Please save your files to your computer.

BACKUP NOW!

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )

Last edited by Iare Zombite on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
batsamd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickshelf is up and running!!!!

For a limited time:
Quote:
Notice: Brickshelf will be shutting down on 2007/07/31. Please save your files to your computer.

ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what happens then?

FlickrBrickshelf
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all my photos already. What I want - what the community NEEDS - is a dedicated lego creations site.

I find it odd that he's just 'taking his toys and going home'. No word about passing the site on to someone else?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: