FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: 7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack Review Reply with quote

OK, Here's my first attempt at a review

7655 - Clone Troopers Battle Pack
I found this little gem at my local TRU in Ohio. I guess Im one of the lucky few to see this set before Christmas, so Ill share my impressions with you.

The Box
The box designs for the 2007 sets have definitely stepped up a notch. Great colorful graphics all over showing the sets in heavy action on the front, pictures of a featured figure on one side, the SW 30th anniversary logo on the other, and a mini catalog on the back. 7655 Clone Trooper Battle Pack is no exception:

For both the Battle Pack sets, they show all the minifigs lined up on the back. I guess so you know exactly what you are getting. Not sure this is extremely usefull, but I found it appealing.

The Build
58 pieces. Meh! The building challenge is not the focus of this set. Its the Clones!!! (Just in case you didnt pick up on it at first glance.) No new pieces, but an interesting use of the truck fender for the mini turret/gun station.

The Speeder included in this set is a little weak on one hand

but a nice throwback to Classic Space build techniques on the other.

All the mini-vehicles are very sturdy and should allow for rough swooshing or childsplay.

The Clones
Great Ceasars Ghost! ::D: If you like Episode III clones, these are great! The white Episode III clones are the same as in the Turbo Tank ( 7261).

The same for the Yellow Clone (is he supposed to be a commander?). But this time he does not come with the shoulder pauldron.

One other nice item is that all the Clones have proper printing on their backs. This is one thing that seems to be disappearing in new Lego Minifigs. (Ferrari anyone?)

Of course the newest member of the team is the Red Shock Trooper Clone. I like the printing and Im glad it is not a repeat of the red clones from the Scout Walker.

He also features red highlights on the back of his torso.

(Sorry about the color difference, I was trying to improve the white balance on my camera. Embarassed )

The Weapons
I really dig the new weapons. They are not exactly movie accurate, (repeat to yourself: Its Lego, not a model! Rolling Eyes ) but they are very cool and would look great in any Star Wars Lego set.

The Parts
Hate to let you in on it, but there are no new parts used in this set (not counting the guns). There are also no leftover parts. You end up using them all. But as I said earlier, the emphasis is on the Clones, not the set or the vehicles.

The Finished Model
So here is the finished set

Final Impressions
Are you a parts monkey or an MOC freak? If yes, then skip this set. This set hits its target audience square in the nose. Army builders and minifigure collectors will love it. Its got some great minifigures and weapons. Thats about it.
(On a Side Note: I would love to see an MOC challenge/contest to make something from only buying multiples of this set, because the possibilities are extremely limited based on what you get in this one set.)
Could we have used one more plain white clone? Sure, but that would have forced Lego to ask for a higher price. Right now, we get 4 figs for $10. Great deal!

Summary
Build 4 (way too easy)
Finished Model 4 (not too impressed)
Durability 9
Swooshability 10 (You could also swoosh the Turret if you needed to! ::D:)
Parts 2
Value 9 (Could Lego have spotted us one more clone? Its a stretch.)
Overall 6.5 (real math) but Im giving it a 7.5 because it serves its purpose Buy it for the Clone Minifigs!

Craig
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review. I do really want this but I also think that for the price the parts would need maybe another fig or 2 dozen extra pieces.
conan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, thanks for the review. look forward to have the set.
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these are just worth it for the weapons and the torsos. I'm not a big "army builder" but I might pick a couple of these up just for the pieces.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great review, thanks for doing that.
I can't wait to get mine which I bought by ebay a few days ago. Smile

Do you think one could use the helmet of the yellow clone for a custom Cody-fig?

FlickrBrickshelf
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting box design & marketing idea. As opposed to doing something incredibly stupid, (like putting "Try Me" minfigures in a plastic window so people can steal them right out) Lego's done something very smart which should've been done YEARS ago- address army builders directly.

Stupid- "Try Me" minifigure windows. Smart- "BUILD YOUR ARMY".

Good for Lego. Cool
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Sillyus wrote:
Interesting box design & marketing idea. As opposed to doing something incredibly stupid, (like putting "Try Me" minfigures in a plastic window so people can steal them right out) Lego's done something very smart which should've been done YEARS ago- address army builders directly.

Good for Lego. Cool

Exactly what I noticed on my second glance, and a great move by LEGO. As Turk mentioned, I'm more interested in the actual Clones/Torsos and Guns (I LOVE those guns!) than most of the set itself. Though the turrent was a nice little feature and being so simple, it will be easy to replicate. I can't wait to get a hand on a few of these myself but I'll probably trade off some of the Clones for a more consistent color scheme.
Iota Aarons

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanks for that review, it was VERY helpful.

I realize that the point of the set was for you to "build your army", but that speeder had to have been on of the ugliest lego models I have ever seen. Anyway, I might pick it up from the local toy store (not before christmas though, they always get stuff in late Crying or Very sad ) for the four clones, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Sillyus wrote:

Good for Lego. Cool

Interestingly, the European boxes do not have "Build Your Army" written on them:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2183875

But thanks for the review, Darth's Daddy. I'll be getting this for the Shock Trooper and the new guns.
Zomby Woof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the review. I really want those battle packs more. We shall see what the future sets bring us too.
Paladin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude.....dude.........dude!!!!

Oh man I can't wait to get my hands on some of these clones.
Zomby Woof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm gonna get me a crapload of troopers and put decals on half of the white ones. I want me my 501st.
Again, thanks for that review.
Paladin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leowashere wrote:
Yea, I'm gonna get me a crapload of troopers and put decals on half of the white ones. I want me my 501st.
Again, thanks for that review.

Lego have made Shocktroopers. They've branched out into coloured clones. I'd say there's a possibility they may make a Battle Pack II that includes some 501st troops.
Rayman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, I might pre-order a few sets now : ). The turret reminds me of the Battlefront one though (which isn't a bad thing!). I am sure that people would have surplus speeders, which will be fantastic for parts.

I reckon LEGO did an awesome job with the shock trooper! Especially with the rear torso decal ; ) PERFECTLY ACCURATE! Here's a stripped down windu trooper for comparasion:

I can't wait to have my personal squad of shockies policing my lego city population Wink Badass style of course.

[quote=Leowashere] I want me my 501st. [/quote]
I want them too Wink But Shocktroopers are much much much much harder to decal, haha, esp the helmet (hence the bly helmet on my windu guy). But meh all I know is that the clone army will be one big happy family come Jan.
slintech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEGO encourages us to "BUILD YOUR ARMY", which I'm all too happy to do. Smile Can't wait to see these on store shelves!

Btw, nice review by Darth's Daddy. Thanks for the close-up pictures and descriptions!
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam89 wrote:
Darth Sillyus wrote:

Good for Lego. Cool

Interestingly, the European boxes do not have "Build Your Army" written on them:

That's because you pacifist weenie Europeans aren't violent enough to handle army building. Just remember the dino line Wink

And thanks for the review and pics Darth. I am glad we are finally seeing something along this line out.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
jango1138

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, sorry
I hope you're joking. I think the Europeans know about army building. If they are pacifists now, its because they have learned from experience. Again sorry, I love Europeans (Euro-Hist major) and feel the need to come to their defense. If you're joking thats all well and good, I just dont want anyone to get offended.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
sam89 wrote:
Darth Sillyus wrote:

Good for Lego. Cool

That's because you pacifist weenie Europeans aren't violent enough to handle army building. Just remember the dino line Wink

And thanks for the review and pics Darth. I am glad we are finally seeing something along this line out.

He has actually got a point there, not in that we are p-acafist and weenie, but have you noticed that violent lines are either not released or made less violent (DINO sets removed guns, we're not aloud to build armies and I think there was a not very long lasting them a couple of years ago that we didn't get - and of course we didn't get spongebob either Wink )
Greatdane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but we europeans got the shooting cannons in the pirate sets years ago, whats gone wrong ?? btw nice review i cant wait to get a couple of these packs, ill bet they sell like wildfire
conan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
sam89 wrote:
Darth Sillyus wrote:

Good for Lego. Cool

why do you keep offending other members? i think European are just good army builders as people from any other places
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't waste my time again.

Last edited by Poohbear on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
conan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poohbear wrote:
conan wrote:
renegade wrote:
sam89 wrote:
Darth Sillyus wrote:

Good for Lego. Cool

why do you keep offending other members? i think European are just good army builders as people from any other places

Unfortunately, the joke flew right over your head there. Through recent releases, it would seem that LEGO offers Europeans the "less violent" substitutions ala what we get in the States. For example (and as mentioned), the Dino Attack sets in America came with guns, in Europe, they came with cages and nets. If I remember correctly, even the name is different. Isn't it called Dino 2011 versus Dino Attack in Europe?

so .............what are you saying? European can't build armies?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's DINO 2010 Very Happy Wink

Last edited by Joedward on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
conan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joedward wrote:
Actually it's DINO 2010 Very Happy

well spotted, joedward
Dunamis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to take all the photos.
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be wasting my time anymore.

Last edited by Poohbear on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wasting your time poohbear. This is a hopeless attempt to discuss reason where none exists. Don't get sucked in like turkguy did last week. The thread wil end up locked and you will end up frustrated.

edited Wink

Last edited by renegade on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
You are wasting your time poohbear. This is a hopeless attempt to discuss reason where none exists. Don't get sucked in like turkguy did last week. The thread wil end up locked and you will end up frustrated.

You're right Renegade, thanks.
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jango1138 wrote:
Off topic, sorry
I hope you're joking. I think the Europeans know about army building. If they are pacifists now, its because they have learned from experience. Again sorry, I love Europeans (Euro-Hist major) and feel the need to come to their defense. If you're joking thats all well and good, I just dont want anyone to get offended.

Yes I was joking, I had hoped it was obvious, but c'est la vie. It was as much a jab (if not more so) at the agressive violent nature of the US as it was at the pacifist nature of the EU. That and Legos marketing and removing the violent side of the product for the European markets, a la dino 2010 which I mentioned in my post.

And finally the little winky smily is usually used to denote a jest and that a comment is not meant to be taken literally or seriously.

Now that that the long and what should have been unnecessary explanation is out of the way hopefully we can all be deoffended and carry on about the business of thanking Darth's Daddy for getting us folks who don't have the set great pictures of it.

vladsimpaler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...well, I'm not a fan of clones, but I'll buy one for my bro for Christmas. He likes the clones a lot.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: