FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ended Contest #6: Vignette: Winner Selected!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Final Round Contest #6: Vignette
Big_X
18%
 18%  [ 40 ]
Mark Stafford
16%
 16%  [ 37 ]
TheBohrok
13%
 13%  [ 29 ]
Kaminoan
25%
 25%  [ 55 ]
fmoo
26%
 26%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 218

onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ended Contest #6: Vignette: Winner Selected! Reply with quote

Contest #6: Build a Vignette
Update 6/12: Round 1 voting is now complete. Final Round of voting begins today and goes for 5 days. After 158 votes (which is a little low if you ask me), here are your top 5 vote getters presented in no particular order:

Big_X

Mark Stafford

TheBohrok

Kaminoan

fmoo

Update 6/5: Voting booth is now open as you can see. Round 1 of voting will be available for the next 7 days. Round 2 will put the top 5 vote-getters into a final round of voting to determine the winner.

Unfortunately, I had to disqualify additional entries. Force Master and DevallusGuys have been added to the Honorable Mentions list.

There were a ton of great entries. I hope you have viewed them all and carefully chosen. Good luck to all.

Update 6/1 Submissions have been collected, compiled, and uploaded. You may view the flickr set by clicking on the mosaic below. Voting booth will open either late tonight or tomorrow. If there are any errors or omissions, now is the time to let me know. Respond to this thread or send me a pm.

Honorable Mentions

The following persons are given Honorable Mention awards for their creativity. These persons' entries were either submitted on time but did not qualify for other reasons or submitted after the deadline.

grevousno1 (picture size is too large)
tzidik (picture size is too large. a shame, too, since this was a really great vig)
Jesuit (picture size is too large)
ewok (picture size is too large)
Jayfo (picture size is too large)
Adrenaline (this one was tough as there was only one pic to work with and no brickshelf gallery to view other images that might give a better perspective, but it appears to me that the "bag o' heroes" hangs way over the 10x10 footprint area. I've consulted a second pair of eyes, and he too thought the same thing)
obi-wan-stefan (picture size is too large)
Jetrooper0256 (picture size is too large)
Glorious Kyle (exceeded dimensions)
Iceman (submitted after deadline)
Jelie (exceeded dimensions)
Dpecir8 (exceeded dimensions)
Force Master (vig did not represent an actual scene in the movie. still pretty funny though)
DevallusGuys (used altered parts)

If i missed anyone else's entry, it is probably because you posted a link to the image instead of posting the image. all i did was scan down each page, and if i saw an image, I would check the properties, and then download the image if it qualified. so most likely I simply just missed it since I wasn't reading any of the messages.

Update 5/31: it should be today. my mistake for thinking that there were only 30 days in may.

i blame my canadian heritage and their metric system.

it ends tonight at 11:59:59pm PST wednesday 31 may 2006. entries submitted after that will not be considered.

Update 5/24: Entries are now being accepted. Please follow the guidelines below. I'll quote it here for your convenience:

Quote:
This next part's important so listen up: You are allowed to submit one (1) and exactly and only one (1) photo as your entry. Your photo may not be greater than 500x375. You may submit a picture oriented vertically at 375x500. Submissions that do not conform to these image sizes will not be accepted. Your photo must be submitted by posting a reply to this thread with the image in your message.

Entries will be accepted through 12:00midnight 30 May 2006.

Update: some rules have been clarified.

Using your existing real-life brick collection, build a vignette depicting any scene from any of the 6 Star Wars movies.

Your vignette must be built using an 8x8 base plate. If you do not have an 8x8 base plate, you may use an 8x8 regular plate. The contents of your vignette may not exceed a 10x10 footprint. For example:

Allowed: You create a scene and place a minifig standing at the edge of the base plate, and his arm hangs over the edge.

Allowed: You create a scene and a tree leaf hangs over the edge.

Not Allowed: You create a scene on a 10x10 baseplate and then place that on top of an 8x8 baseplate.

Not Allowed: You build the Millennium Falcon and place one of it's landing gears on an 8x8 base plate.

Your vignette may be as tall as you'd like.

Modified pieces are not allowed. Non-LEGO elements are not allowed. You cannot cut any elements in order to fit the 10x10 footprint rule.

There is no piece limit.

This next part's important so listen up: You are allowed to submit one (1) and exactly and only one (1) photo as your entry. Your photo may not be greater than 500x375. You may submit a picture oriented vertically at 375x500. Submissions that do not conform to these image sizes will not be accepted. Your photo must be submitted by posting a reply to this thread with the image in your message.

Entries will be accepted between 12:00 am 24 May 2006 through 11:59 pm 31 May 2006. Any entries submitted before this time period will be deleted. Any entries submitted after this time period will not be considered. As usual, a flickr set will be created for all to view.

Voting will occur between 1 June 2006 and 7 June 2006 using phpbb's built in polling function. Top five vote getters will be placed into a final run off election between 8 June 2006 and 13 June 2006, after which a winner will be declared.

The prize? Now normally, I try my best to match up the prize to the idea of the contest. And so far, I think I've done a pretty good job. The only prizes that really make any sense for this contest are the storyteller sets. But seriously, those suck. So I'm going to break from tradition and offer a a LEGO Shop@Home gift certificate for $60 U.S. dollars! That should be enough for a $50 dollar set and shipping. If by chance someone wins who does not live in the U.S., arrangements will be made to provide the winner with an equivalent type of prize.

And as always, this contest is open to everyone in the world.

What is a vignette? In case you're not familiar with what a vignette is, it is basically a scene recreated and constructed on a small baseplate. For a more thorough answer, you may consult the LUGNET Guide To Vignettes

Please post your questions to this thread.

Last edited by onions on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 16 times in total
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah. forgot one thing.

1 entry per person.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you've clearly stated we can submit only 1 picture for the contest, but can we link to a gallery of more?
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
bobafett2250

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we use cut pieces ONLY if its on the minifigure? Like if I have a custom Boba Fett I want to incorporate?
Jar_Jar_Bricks

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya now.... I am going to try out this constest Very Happy i was just looking through this forum last night and looking at all of the contests i could have tried... looks like fun! i now hafta just build one ::D: i wonder what? maybe the scene from when- oops! i ain't telling! Very Happy
mmcb

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a scene from the Clone Wars Cartoon series be considered or only from the 6 Movies?
Aedivor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I know what is what here. How big is a 8x8 base plate? Question
Is that in studs or something else? Question
I have been bulding for some time on my own, but I am not sure of some of the terms.

Thanks for the help. Smile
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmcb wrote:
Can a scene from the Clone Wars Cartoon series be considered or only from the 6 Movies?
I have a feeling that you're going to get flogged for that question...
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
jastermereel08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does cutting tubes count as modified? In the pneumatic sets you're supposed to cut the tubes to fit the set. Say I had some leftover tubes that I had cut from the pneumatic sets and wanted to use them, would that be againsth the rules?

Many SNOT tecniqes have 1/3 or 1/2 stud lenghts, do you want exatly 10 studs, or can we have just a little flex room.

Can we use LA guns?
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 8x8 refers to studs.

I wish this contest had been run last fall, because I used up all my good SW vigs then Razz

Cool contest idea. Can't wait to see tons of entries!
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
jastermereel08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights wrote:
I wish this contest had been run last fall, because I used up all my good SW vigs then Razz

That reminds me: Can Joe Vig make a cameo?
JSM

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I may give this one a try.
My only problem is my lack of SW figs, could we do somthing in mini? like a huge battle or somthing?
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights wrote:
I wish this contest had been run last fall, because I used up all my good SW vigs then

That's a good launching point for a question, actually. Can entries be vigs that have already been created, or do they have to be brand new? (I've never made one myself, but I'm sure there are others such as Lights who have and would be interested in the answer.)

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
OK, you've clearly stated we can submit only 1 picture for the contest, but can we link to a gallery of more?

yes. but i will only accept one photo, the one that you post in your submission.
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobafett2250 wrote:
Can we use cut pieces ONLY if its on the minifigure? Like if I have a custom Boba Fett I want to incorporate?

onions wrote:
Modified pieces are not allowed.

onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmcb wrote:

onions wrote:
any scene from any of the 6 Star Wars movies

seriously....
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jastermereel08 wrote:
Does cutting tubes count as modified? In the pneumatic sets you're supposed to cut the tubes to fit the set. Say I had some leftover tubes that I had cut from the pneumatic sets and wanted to use them, would that be againsth the rules?

not having owned any pneumatic sets, i am not sure what the answer to this is. i'm inclined to say no. but if you build it, i will have to see it before i deny submission.

jastermereel08 wrote:
Many SNOT tecniqes have 1/3 or 1/2 stud lenghts, do you want exatly 10 studs, or can we have just a little flex room.

the 10x10 footprint area IS the flex room.

jastermereel08 wrote:
Can we use LA guns?

no.

rules have been modified above.
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest #6: Vignette Reply with quote

onions wrote:
Not Allowed: You build the Millennium Falcon and place one of it's landing gears on an 8x8 base plate.

Damn you, Ace! How'd you know?

(Ok, it's actually resting on seven 8x8 platforms. Wink )
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
Lights wrote:
I wish this contest had been run last fall, because I used up all my good SW vigs then

That's a good launching point for a question, actually. Can entries be vigs that have already been created, or do they have to be brand new? (I've never made one myself, but I'm sure there are others such as Lights who have and would be interested in the answer.)

m19

it can be an older vignette that you've already made, or a brand spanking new one.

i would challenge yourself to try a new one.
Jar_Jar_Bricks

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... can we do minis?
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mini vig? Has that been done before?
501legion

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool contest!

113/8
jp-30

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea for a contest! Thanks to all involved.

There is a great vignette FAQ here for those who may be interested.

Of course this particular fbtb contest has set up its own guidelines on base size and overhang etc, so be mindful of that.

Of the most interest is this;

A good vignette should...

* Visually exemplify an action, idea, or thought; or lend itself to a descriptive title of the MOC.
* Look like a “snapshot in time” (as if a photo was taken at a precise moment)
* Be photographed well (hint: use the macro feature on your camera!)
* Be creative and FUN!

Last edited by jp-30 on Wed May 03, 2006 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
DarthPineapple

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a cool contest! Very Happy

Brickshelf Gallery
Mainman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling this is going to be rejected, but are custom stickers allowed? If not, can we use official lego stickers on parts they weren't designed for? And cut them up if needed?
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jar_Jar_Bricks wrote:
so... can we do minis?

i guess, but trying to fit in a mini scene on such a limited size base might not work so well. but if you have the drive, by all means.
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainman wrote:
I have a feeling this is going to be rejected, but are custom stickers allowed?

no

Mainman wrote:
If not, can we use official lego stickers on parts they weren't designed for? And cut them up if needed?

um... sure? but why go through all the trouble?
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent post jp-30. i will use that link in my post.
jp-30

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

Also if I may make a suggestion / observation on existing good vig's, you want the 'snapshot in time' to be the most interesting freeze-frame.

eg. If you were doing a vig of a lightsaber fight, what moment best portrays the movie scene as a whole?

It's probably not with someone dead on the ground or a shot where both sabers are locked, but a perhaps moment or two before the loser being struck down so that a sense of anticipation is portrayed regarding what's about to happen.

This is the whole reason why Joe Vig scenes are so great!
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so in on this one. I just made my first vig not too long ago, and I've already got a fun idea to try out for my entry.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19
Jump to: