FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Much Drama (Rant)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: To Much Drama (Rant) Reply with quote

OK, I dont know how well liked I will be after posting this, but I feel that it needs to be adressed.

Lately I have noticed that there has been a lot of drama in threads that shouldn't even have any. Take for example the Peach or Yellow topic. Someone made a small joke, and the topic turned into a big drama. Another example is the Light up or not topic. Someone expresses thier opinion, and once again the topic turns into a big drama. It seems that this place is turning into a highschool, actually as someone pointed out, it is becoming worse then highschool. So many good members have been leaving, and truthfully I really dont blame them. I dont know why I am sticking around because I am really getting sick of all the stupid drama.

I find that most of the "respectable" members are blaming the new members for causing the drama around here. Truthfully, if you look it is not the new mebers causing it, it is the members that have been here the longest. I havent seen many problems with the new members latly, and truthfully they are pretty much behaving themselves. It is the older members that we need to keep an eye one. Of course I'm not saying its all the older members that are causing the drama, I just dont want to point out names.

Most of the drama seems to stem from a joke that someone didnt take as a joke (even if it was an obvious one). This is a very big trend here. Guys, this is suppose to be a fun community, there are gonna be jokes, some of these jokes are gonna offend you, but they more then likely werent meant to. I just dont understand why people seem to attack people for an obvious joke. When people have to put disclaimers in thier posts to say it is a joke, I think this comunity has a problem.

I remember when I first got here this was such a wonderful community. Everyone was nice, and got along. Now it just seems that everyone is looking for a reason to cause drama. I think it is getting out of hand and someting needs to be done. If I am the only one who thinks this, fine, but truthfull I dont think i am the only one who thinks this.

I think everyone just needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, and find a sense of humor Wink

[/rant]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're just contributing to the drama. Wink

No, the fact is, human interactions aren't (and can't possibly be) all perfectly rosy all the time, and getting worked up once in a while isn't neccesarily bad. People are bound to disagree and misunderstand each other now and then, all the more so on the internet. As long as it all works out in the end - and I see no evidence in the examples provided to the contrary - there really isn't a problem. This profound truth, discovered through careful contemplation during my sagely 14 years on this earth, is the guide for all my internet doings. By accepting some degree of misunderstanding, confusion, and offenece as necessary components of any society, I have been able to avoid ever being genuinely offended by anyone on the internet, and I hope to have never genuinely offended anyone. I think at fbtb we have a natural and healthy amount of misunderstanding, but I don't think we have a lot of genuine problems - nothing that doesn't heal over quickly. I'm a pretty laid back person though, and its pretty hard to make me angry, so this may not be true for everyone. Still, I think this problem you describe is certainly not as pressing as you imply.

I must say though, I agree with your last sentence. I just think that the occasional dispute won't ruin the recipe, and may even make it all the tastier. Smile

By the way, I don't mean to imply, say, that Blondie Wan's offence at Collin's remark was not real or significant, merely that I don't feel it represents a larger problem, and that isolated occurences do not constitute a community wide problem.

There. I hope I haven't offended anyone, though I fear it is possible. (If not by the content, then by my headache inducing and thoroughly inarticulate language.)
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree, a disagreement isnt bad when it happens every once in a while, but it has been happening more and more often lately in topics that really shouldnt have any type of drama. I can understand if an argument happens in a religion, or government thread, but in a thread that talks about light up lightsabers? I dont think that is nessicary, or even helpfull to the community. It just buggs me when there is an argument in almost every topic that takes the entire topic off topic (wow, I used the word topic a lot). Of course, Im not saying that I never argue, but I don't try to start one were one really shouldnt be, and that is what I am seeing. But I guess, I am the only one worried about it. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. Things are getting out of hand, people are getting mad WAY too easily, and they need to just take a deep breath. I'm not saying that disagreements shouldn't happen -- the whole point of a forum is to debate topics. But people need to just tone things down a little.
TheBohrok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the time that I have been a member of FBTB, this has come up several times. During the summer, there was an influx of new members that caused a lot of problems, some of which are prevalent now.
However, according to Daz, the way FBTB is now is how it's always been. There will always be times of relatively great disagreement in the forums, but ultimately it does not last forever.
You said that when you joined everyone was nice and got along, but I remember some people were leaving because they thought the opposite. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on how you look at it in the context of FBTB's history. When I joined I thought it was friendly and great, but I sure some people were just sick of it! So just hang in there, and everything should be fine.

Like Barbarossa, I hope my language has been somewhat intelligible to most of the people here. Smile

EDIT: Wow Barbarossa, you're only 14? I always thought you were much older! I suppose it's because your posts are mature and well thought out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy, although I think that your concern for the community is well-placed, I wouldn't put too much stock into any perceived increase in drama. As TheBohrok stated, there is an ebb and flow to these types of things on all internet communities, and I think what you saw in the two threads you cited was an unfortunate juxtaposition of two disagreements that got marginally out of hand. Should they have happened? No. Are they an indicator of some greater problem with the community? Probably not, because conflicts and misunderstandings are inevitable in a group as diverse and large as ours. We all just happened to see two aberrantly silly ones happen near the same time in the same forum.

I certainly endorse your last point, however. As Austin likes to point out, internet =/= serious business. And LEGO, coupled with internet, is definitely not serious business.

Keep your chin up. Cheers.

On a completely unrelated point, I also have to express my utter surprise that Barbarossa is only 14. Such maturity and intelligence in somebody so young; a scary thought indeed Wink

\A/
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I guess I just havent been here long enough to live through a cycle of drama. Somtimes the drama is a bit unbearable in topics that really shouldnt have any in the first place. Wink
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet != Serious
Lego != Serious

Drama != Fun

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
Internet != Serious
Lego != Serious

Drama != Fun

Now that logic just does not make any sense.

I think its more like:

Lego = Very Serious
Internet = Everything is true
Drama = Great Fun

Wink
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
OK, I guess I just havent been here long enough to live through a cycle of drama. Somtimes the drama is a bit unbearable in topics that really shouldnt have any in the first place. Wink

You kidding me, I have been around for a shorter time, and seen/caused like fourty completely dramatized threads Razz And I've gotten used to it Shocked ... It never ends, man, all we can do is let the boss guys deal with it Smile
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It always comes in waves. I'm been a member of FBTB for quite a while (although much shorter than certain members/mods) so I have seen few of those waves.

In C, != means NOT equal to. Very Happy ( Maybe I didn't get your joke... Very Happy )

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Sully

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that ALL drama on FBTB can be ascribed to unrequited man-crushes on the various Clone Commanders. It is spring, after all. Wink

\A/
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
Yeah. It always comes in waves. I'm been a member of FBTB for quite a while (although much shorter than certain members/mods) so I have seen few of those waves.

In C, != means NOT equal to. Very Happy ( Maybe I didn't get your joke... Very Happy )

Yeah, i think you missed my joke. Wink
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the drama Wink
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah woah waoh, screw this thread because everyone in it is stupid.

Barbarossa is 14?! WHAT WHAT WHAT?!

Kudos, old sport! I had you imagined as something near late-twenties early-thirties. Wonderful communication skills.

You dweebs go back to your whining now.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll ought to try some of this instead:

^cause the regular stuff might just kill you if you have too much...
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think threads like this one could also cause more commotion sometimes...
It really has nothing to do with who is new or who is old around here that causes drama, it's how you post, how you interpret people's words and how you interact with the other that counts.
If some of you feel that they need to step back because of any dramatic event, please do so, since leaving or having a temporary absence could have better effect on this community and on you rather than ranting about it over and over again.
If you have so much time on your hands, just go and make some use of it, rather than setting behind your monitors bitching about it from time to time.

It's funny how some of you guys complain about your high school and your pathetic lives, and yet you seem to bring it a lot over here, and when somebody says anything about it, you start accusing him or her of causing this term "drama"... Now that's a real drama! Razz

My Brickshelf Gallery
R2-MB2AstromechMechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a whole lotta people wrote wrote:
DRAMA

Just remember that alot of the members here are younger, and might be going through a "dramatic" time, and are being labled "Drama Kings and Queens." I'm Sure it is natural for that to carry on to the forums.

Yeah right!

Last edited by R2-MB2AstromechMechanic on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBohrok wrote:
However, according to Daz, the way FBTB is now is how it's always been. There will always be times of relatively great disagreement in the forums, but ultimately it does not last forever.

Wow Shocked... They make reference to me now, like I'm somekind of encyclopedia or something... Shocked

Seriously, TheBohrok is right. Any community, whether a real or an online one, is bound to have conflicts every once in a while, because we are not perfect, and we are bound to make mistakes and misunderstand each other.

And about folks who are leaving, that's part of what FBTB is too. People are free to come and go as they please, and over the years, we loss some great members, but gain a few others too. The "drama" as nothing to do with it. It's just part of life.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Obi-wan Jimboski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
It just buggs me when there is an argument in almost every topic that takes the entire topic off topic (wow, I used the word topic a lot).

Other synonyms:
Thread
Discussion
Particular Forum
Tangent (in this context)

Very Happy

Putting my mayoral exploratory committee on hold as I pursue my MBA...
R2-MB2AstromechMechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-wan Jimboski wrote:

I don't see much of a diversion, do you?

Read my sig.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

I can't believe it's not drama! </Fabio>

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh harsh, I think I am going to leave the forums AGAIN! Wink

Sorry about all of the drama I have created but look on the bright side! I don't post very often anymore.

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer Mellow Drama (tm). It goes down nice and smooth.

To counter the pessimist view of this topic, I would like to point out that we have our "high camp", tragedy, romance, flop, improvisation, fabrication, flights of fancy, and fiction topics. I am disappointed that we don't have any Broadway shows, however.

I would suggest reading posts "in the best possible light." Usually, people are not making personal attacks against you. If you spent the last 15 minutes pounding out several paragraphs to each sentence that someone wrote, step away from the "Submit" button. Take a minute to look out the window, get a drink or use the restroom. Are you emotionally charged right now? Are you only repeating what was already written or clarifying / adding to it? If you are discussing an opinionated topic like religion, politics or weather, remember that arguing rarely changes someone's opinion. Standing firm in your beliefs has more effect. After a short breather like this, I often delete whole paragraphs of my ramblings because it does not continue discussion or is not constructive criticism.
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajcross123 wrote:
I am disappointed that we don't have any Broadway shows, however.

Quick! Edit that out of your post before Austin sees it!

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Obi-wan Jimboski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-MB2AstromechMechanic wrote:
Obi-wan Jimboski wrote:

I don't see much of a diversion, do you?

In this context
Turkguy19 wrote:
It just buggs me when there is an argument in almost every topic that takes the entire topic off topic (wow, I used the word topic a lot).

Could have said (based on his anecdote about using "topic a lot")
I think what Turkguy19 might have also said is wrote:

It just buggs me when there is an argument in almost every thread that takes the entire discussion on a tangent (wow, I never used the word topic once).
::D:

These aren't the droids you are looking for, move along...more like one Michigander giving another Michigander some friendly ribbing...

Putting my mayoral exploratory committee on hold as I pursue my MBA...
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-wan Jimboski wrote:

I think what Turkguy19 might have also said is wrote:

It just buggs me when there is an argument in almost every thread that takes the entire discussion on a tangent (wow, I never used the word topic once).
::D:

These aren't the droids you are looking for, move along...more like one Michigander giving another Michigander some friendly ribbing...

Hey, when did I say that Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
DonSolo wrote:

I can't believe it's not drama! </Fabio>

Lmao!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: