FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOC: UMC's MV-7030 Swallowtail - Instructions & Black v.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: MOC: UMC's MV-7030 Swallowtail - Instructions & Black v. Reply with quote

Yes, this is going to be my entry for thte B-Wing contest tomorrow. The contest notwithstanding and as a MOC by itself, I'm incredibly proud of this little baby and I'd love to hear what people think of the ship-- my third MOC. Comments, questions, suggestions, improvements? Keep in mind that the brick palette was limited to pieces from the new B-Wing set. (And I didn't even use the ladder pieces for this one! ::D:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UMC MV-7030 Swallowtail

In 2043, soon after Great Britain and the United States successfully completed joint terraforming operations on Mars, small skirmishes over the Red Planet's newly-habitable lands turned into full-scale war. Lockheed-Tharsis responded to the UMC's request for a new line of Mars-specific fighters when it completed production of the MV-7030 Swallowtail in 2048. Tracing its lineage back to the A-10 Thunderbolt II and F-22 Raptor, the new Swallowtail was highly adept at both air-to-air and air-to-ground operations in defense of the UMC.

- Main Brickshelf gallery
- PDF instructions (Right-click and "Save As" to download)
- Black Swallowtail variant - added 4/26/2006

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr

Last edited by Morbie19 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:57 am; edited 16 times in total
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks really nice! The way the wings leave a whole there kind of bugs me but that is just me. I am amazed at how well you were able to make the bottom not look too random, which is a usual problem with sets constructed out of one set. It is quite an original, inventive and interesting design. Great work as always.

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Red 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the MOC and thought it was awesome. Then I saw that it was your B-Wing Alternate and was absolutely stunned. It looks great, and I am amazed you were able to pull that together with just one set. The whole hole-and-wing thing is very interesting. Great job all around!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really one awesome MOC, and I can't believe it's built only out of a B-wing! Great job. The only part I don't like are the holes, but that doesn't really need to be fixed.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. Smile

It's interesting that there've been a few specific comments about the "holes", as they're really design elements rather than anything that's wrong with the ship, per se-- in other words, they're absolutely intentional. I didn't just leave them there because I ran out of bricks. Wink (It's funny that it's been mentioned several times though, as it never occurred to me to be that odd of a detail. Heh.)

The overall construction was planned out to be one long fuselage (along the central axis from head to tail) with the wings flaring out and then connecting back to the tail section to make it more than just an ordinary, regular old aircraft shape. It creates a bit of visual interest, hopefully, and it seems to catch one's attention (whether for better or worse!). Think along the lines of an F-14 with its wings slightly in the open position, but then connect them back to the tail part and that's what I was going for. (Another inspiration was the A-10's large tail section, continuing on to a "what if the wings and tail were enlarged and then connected?" idea.) I thought about it quite a bit and think that, if the "holes" were covered, the ship would basically be one big flying triangle with nothing to break up the planes and create focal points. T'would be kind of boring, no?

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That is awesome, and that graphic (not really a schematic as far as I know) is excelent. This whole project is stunning... bonus points for incorporating your sig!
Darktide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good MOC Morgan. I've been checking it out over the past few days on BS and it's pretty impressive for your third MOC and an alt. model to boot.

Unlike the others, I like your non-traditional wing design. It gives this fighter a futuristic look and I can easily imagine it patrolling the skies of Mars late century. It also looks like it could fit into Aliens quite well! Kudos.
I like the fact that you made the belly mounted systems actually look like functional systems instead of just throwing on some cones & 1x's and calling them whatever. They do complement the belly well without looking like tacked-on-greebles-for-greebles-sake.

You've got excellent presentation as usual. I really have to get Photoshop. Smile
There's not really anything I have to suggest for improvements with a one set alt. model. If you're going to mod this after the contest I would suggest maybe adding some more width to the angled wings for lift purposes and to accentuate the odd angle, but that's really minor. SNOT is always good but like I said, you've done an excellent job on this one.

Good luck in the contest!!

Brickshelf
This ground is not the rock I, thought it to be...
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Ship, Beautiful Pictures, Beautiful Photoshopping skills. I actually love the hollow spots, I think it gives it an awsome look. I can almost hear the air "wooshing" through the gaps. Very Happy I absolutely love the wonderful effect of being streamlined, and also greebled at the same time. Lots of wonderful, exciting angles and shapes. Wonderful cockpit design! Very Happy

Good luck in the contest! Very Happy

~John
Barbarossa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowza, that's cool. Smile I like the shape alot, those gaps lend a very nice affect. My favorite part is the cockpit - The shape is unique, despite the lack of choice cockpit wise. The tail is cool too, though I'm not crazy about some of the rough ends and strange yellow thingies. And of course, great presentation. Good luck!
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just want to say that so far in the contest your model has my vote. Looking at the other ones, they all look the same and yours has a certain uniquness that separates you from the others. Good Luck with the contest!

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice schematic and back story describing the many nice features.

As for being based on the A-10 and F-22, I MUST say that it just doesn't have the chunk appeal with which those machines endeared me. For instance, the cockpit feels like it has NO armor and is sitting out there. I actually feel it is derivative of The Matrix hoverships.

I thought the yellow loops were the atmospheric stabilizers or some kind of anti-grav drives at least. The ship has too much drag and not enough flight surface. The angles in this section are really nice. The yellow on the wings detract a little from these. Maybe those could be moved forwad so the corner doesn't stick into the "holes".

The dock is very nice in the way it molds to the ship. It could hold the ship lower with platforms in the rear to make maintenance easier. For some reason, I expected a clip that actually held the ship in place.

Various ramblings:
Nice use of the supplied stickers.
Those nuclear reactors look TINY!
The passive radar jammer might be blocked by the wings.
The Vulcan makes the head-on view look unbalanced.
WHERE are the other weapons/instruments for the variable hardpoints? Hmm?
Not so sure about the "round" bombs.
Why is the missile launcher on the opposite side as its loader?
Oh No! A ship with no landing gear!
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo, Iceman, Barbarossa, and TPJ– Thanks for all the comments again.

Darktide– Yep, I'm going to go back after the contest now and see if I can play around with the wing arrangements some more. I ran out of those yellow 1x2 tiles with a single stud on top (that's how the angled wings are attached); otherwise I might have more or a different arrangement.

ajcross– You have several interesting observations I'd like to address, so your reply will take a bit more typing... Razz

Quote:
I thought the yellow loops were the atmospheric stabilizers or some kind of anti-grav drives at least.

They are, though the schematic isn't too clear on that– I call that entire "fin" area on each tail the stabilizers.

Quote:

Well it is the future. Wink

Quote:
The Vulcan makes the head-on view look unbalanced.

Intentionally so. I didn't want the entire thing to be symmetrical and felt that having a heavy weapon on one side and a lighter system (in this case, the radar) on the other side makes it seem more utilitarian or military-like. Kind of like how a tank might have a single machine gun only on one side, that sort of thing.

Quote:
WHERE are the other weapons/instruments for the variable hardpoints? Hmm?

Blame that on LEGO for not including more pieces in the B-Wing set. ::D:

Quote:
Not so sure about the "round" bombs.

I was working under the idea that what's visible is only the bottom half of each bomb: the top is hidden in the delivery line under that central-back area of the ship. Take this image, for example: what's showing is the nose and a bit of the body; the rest is hidden up inside and is revealed when the bomb actually launches.

Quote:
Why is the missile launcher on the opposite side as its loader?

Jiggawha? I'm not sure what you mean. There's one loader/launcher unit on each side of the ship (2 total): the loaders are the wedge pieces with the black/yellow sticker, while the launcher is the wedge with a "hollow" space directly in front of it. The missiles are stored in the loader, they get passed through the round 2x2 plate piece and are ejected out the launcher hole.

Quote:
Oh No! A ship with no landing gear!

Heh, that's what the dock's for!

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
Quote:

Well it is the future. Wink

So when those get hit, we get Portabella mushroom sized clouds? Wink

As for the big bombs, I much prefer the Daisy Cutter bomb delivery system.

I was confused about the launchers because you had arrows on separate sides of the ship instead of two arrows on just one side.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I LOVE that ship!!! Cool

Excellent pictures by the way. Just one request for ya, if possible, could you explode areas like the cockpit so we can see the stuff in there better (I really want to see the wall behind the pilot better!) Thanks, and great ship!!!

I'll lightsabone ya!
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Kenobi wrote:
Just one request for ya, if possible, could you explode areas like the cockpit so we can see the stuff in there better (I really want to see the wall behind the pilot better!) Thanks, and great ship!!!

Concerning the cockpit, is this not close-up enough?

But yeah, I'll take some more photos and add them to my Maj account-- I don't want to risk updating the Brickshelf gallery and being disqualified from the contest for modifying my entry images after entering. I tried to get every angle I could think of... Is there anything else besides the cockpit you'd like close-ups of?

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Master_Kenobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.. yeah, now that you mention it! Like I said before, the cockpit without all of the snot stuff around i would be great. Also, maybe a couple more shots of that great dock you made would make i good. Thank you very much! (BTW not hat ou didn't document it extremely well already, it's just that some things are confusing to me!)

Thanks Again!!

I'll lightsabone ya!
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M19, this has to be my favorite contest entry so far. I love the overall shape, and the way there is "empty space" within the frame of the ship. The subtle little details just add so much to this creation. The way you use the stickers to add detail is something I wouldnt have thought of. The engines being in the middle of the entire ship is also a cool little detail. Not many ships that I have seen have the engines in the middle of their design. The way the shape suggests a sleek powerful fighter, and the way the details make it look very rugged and industrial, is a great combination that makes this such a great little fighter. Also, I lover how you put up the chematics like that. Great MOC for the contest, and it will more then likely get my vote.

Edit- Just though you would like to know, I linked to your gallery on my webpage Smile
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this to the Star Wars MOCs forum, per Morgan's request.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lucas Quiggly
King O' Zombies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Look good I like it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nannan Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to masticate over this ever since I saw it on B-shelf. And there are obvious glorious moments I want to praise:

The photoediting is supernal, undeniably professional and of publishable quality. The decals on the ship are creative (though it takes a closet queen to cut up his stickers).

The theme is stunningly appropriate and convincing. The idea of life on Mars is anyone's fantasie. Lastly the wings and the yellow fins inspire an impressive industrial look.

And you always have the most spirited sig.

---

What is a Jean-Faluch SP20-IV thermonuclear engine? You learned a lot about spaceworks, so spread your wisdow to us so we too can share a profund knowledge of your intentions. I also love how you made a pincushion out of the poor bird with your plethora of pin-shaped labels. Had the MOC been a mecha, I would've called it a voodoo doll.

The fuselage uses standard brick-on-brick action technique (boring position) and would've been nothing had there not been SNOTty wings to compensate.

Lastly, the landing gear is forced mainly due to the sizzling color display. No matter how long you've worked on it, the platform is a phantom: shapeless and frightening.

Now that I've had my moment, I've lost interest in my subject and you might be a bit grossed by my spewing. But many others will be masticating over your MOC in the next few days and it seems the Sparrowtail is a very hot pick in the club. I hope you won't continue to masticate over your own work too much; because that would be like watching yourself doing it in a mirror.

Fantabulous fantasies! Wink
-Nannan

Brickshelf | Bricklink
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nannan wrote:
(though it takes a closet queen to cut up his stickers).

Ohhh yes, rest assured I was giggling maniacally as I was cutting. Wink There's something incredibly liberating about chopping up cursed LEGO stickers to make them better than what they started out as, I have to say.

Quote:
And you always have the most spirited sig.

I aim to inspire. Very Happy

Quote:
What is a Jean-Faluch SP20-IV thermonuclear engine? You learned a lot about spaceworks, so spread your wisdow to us so we too can share a profund knowledge of your intentions.

The variable fighters from Macross Plus, from which I gleaned some inspiration, have thermonuclear engines and I simply borrowed the technology and terminology from that universe. The name itself is just a mishmash of my fiancee's middle name (Jean) with a variation on my birthplace (Falls Church) to create an interesting moniker. Almost every name, date, acronym or other specification in the schematics is crafted that way: each one has an actual meaning to me (August 3rd is my fiancee's birthday, as another example), although by now I can't remember what half of them are... Oops!

Quote:
The fuselage uses standard brick-on-brick action technique (boring position) and would've been nothing had there not been SNOTty wings to compensate.[

Although I know I'm not a SNOT Master (eww!) like plenty other builders, I don't think the lack of SNOT is always necessarily a bad thing. Sure, straight-up brick techniques are classic, but that doesn't mean that style is "nothing". But rest assured that I'm practicing on SNOTing lest it ever comes in handy, as it is a technique I'd like to enable in my MOCs.

Quote:
Now that I've had my moment, I've lost interest in my subject and you might be a bit grossed by my spewing. But many others will be masticating over your MOC in the next few days and it seems the Sparrowtail is a very hot pick in the club. I hope you won't continue to masticate over your own work too much; because that would be like watching yourself doing it in a mirror.

You are a funny, strange little one. Wink Thanks for taking the time to write you particular blend of prose; as usual it's just as much fun for me to read as I'm sure it was for you to write.

Thanks,
m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, you and Darktide, aren't making it an easy contest, are you guys?
Absolutely stunning construction and design work! You should put out more of those MOCs around the community if you possess such skills!

The challenge is awaiting you…! Wink

My Brickshelf Gallery
fmoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m19, this is a great looking alt. The overall design is quite nice and original (I like the "holes" that others didn't seem to like), and everything looks quite polished. Each piece looks deliberately placed rather than just tacked on, and the color placement looks really good. Excellent use of stickers, although I'd never touch the things myself. Smile

As kind of mentioned above, it looks like you've used mostly traditional studs-up building for this model, but who cares, the ship looks pretty durned good. It's my opinion that someone who has a good eye for visuals (you're a graphic designer type person, yes?) can compete with the most uber-technical SNOT builder when it comes to building good looking MOCs.

Anyways, very cool ship. Let's see more than 3 MOCs out of you! Wink

Dennis

thievery.org/dennisc | flickr
Schism

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say much that hasn't been said already. I'm very impressed by this. You did with a very limited selection of parts what many of us can't do with our entire colections. Very sleek, very detailed, and oh so sexy! Awesome work.

By the way, I'm also impressed by the time and effort you've put in lately making those schematics for your MOCs. As the saying goes, presentation is everything. But in this case, it's just icing on the cake.

MOCpages gallery
We all make choices. But in the end... our choices make us.
Mirage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job, I agree with all of the praises that have been mentioned above. I really enjoy the overall shape of the ship and the story line is very cool as well. I love it how you go the extra mile to do the photoshopping to enhance your presentation.To sum it up, I actually feel like I would rather build this instead of the b-wing if I ever bought the set. Cool

Proud owner of a get out of trout whack free card. These babies are limited edition!
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo- Challenege indeed! As I mentioned in the PM, I find that these contests, especially the ones limited to a certain palette of bricks, bring out the usually-dormant competitive side in me. Having the limited range of bricks forces creativity, planning, and stops me from having to worry about "oh if I could only find so-and-so brick" and just build instead.

fmoo- Yeah, I was surprised at how eagerly I tackled the stickers. I suppose As I'm bulding more, I"m discovering that sometimes the stickers help me get ideas across, like the vents right behind the cockpit or the industrial-strength "warning" stripes on the microloaders. I know some folks frown on stickers and see them as cheating or taking the easy way, but I rather enjoy the extra bit of graphic punch they give, so long as they're done tastefully.

I'm an art director, yes. Thanks for backing me up on the studs-up bit... It seems like there's a huge expectation for non-stop-SNOT these days. I'm working on it, but sometimes I just like building the olding-fashioned way with just a little bit of SNOT. I envy those who can make whole ships out of it, but I'm just not there yet.

Schism & Mirage- Thanks for the kind words, guys! (PS Schism-- Yay Oblivion!) It's nice to hear that others appreciate the bit of extra work, in this case the ill-named schematic. As cheesy as it sounds I really do pour my heart and soul into each MOC I make, even if there have only been a few so far. If that means doing some extra work to "complete the thought", then so be it.

Mirage, your "I'd rather build this than the offical set" really made my day! I"m really trying my darndest to make worthwhile MOCs and it's awesome to hear that kind of comment. It makes the uncertainty of public reaction absolutely worth it, so thank you.

Master_Kenobi- I have some more pictures for you. I tried to get as many more angles and details as I could on both the ship and dock. Unfortunately the overhead fluorescent light I usually use for part of my lighting setup went AWOL so the lighting might be a little off.

Swallowtail "breakapart" gallery

Main body 1 | Main body 2
Wings 1 | Wings 2
Side 1 | Side 2 | Side 3 | Side 4 | Side 5
cockpit 2 | cockpit 3
Modules 1 | Modules 2
Dock 1 | Dock 2 | Dock 3 | Dock 4

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any more questions. Very Happy

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr

Last edited by Morbie19 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
fmoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
I know some folks frown on stickers and see them as cheating or taking the easy way

Nah, I don't feel that way. My reason (and I think most other people's reason) for hating stickers is that they eventually peel off, easily get dirty and ugly around the edges, and they look pretty durned ugly if you don't apply them just right. What's even worse is those sets that use stickers across multiple bricks. Grrr...

thievery.org/dennisc | flickr
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the extra pics. If not providing instructions, those go so far in letting others build the model.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the great new pics! I'm having lots of fun trying to recreate you stunning model. One more question for now: How does the piece in the middle of the ship connect in this photo? Thanks again.

-James

I'll lightsabone ya!
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Kenobi wrote:
Thanks very much for the great new pics! I'm having lots of fun trying to recreate you stunning model.

No problem! But you have to promise to post your own images once you've got something to show. Wink

Quote:
One more question for now: How does the piece in the middle of the ship connect in this photo? Thanks again.

Do you mean the "shaft" piece, in the tail section? I don't recall exactly what I did but I think it just has a Technic pin stuck in each end, which then slide into a 2x1 "holed" brick (like along the side of the ship) at each end of the shaft. If you need something more specific I can see if I can get an image of that part, but it might be tricky.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: