FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clawcraft Update---Ver. 2 ----Construction Pics Posted----

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darktide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Clawcraft Update---Ver. 2 ----Construction Pics Posted---- Reply with quote

EDIT: Here's the link to the construction gallery for those that wanted breakdown pics.

Hello All,

Here's the second version of my Chiss Clawcraft. This version features redesigned wings and mounting points. The result is a much sleeker profile and swooshability.

The gallery if you don't feel like following all the links.

Wing sag has been eliminated with the secondary arches. By adding another hinge to the base of each wing, the wing-body connection is also much stronger. The previous wing joint greebles were switched for something more structurally sound.

Thanks to everyone who suggested changing the wing angle. I think it now looks closer to this version.
The wingtip laser cannons have also been modified to look more laser-y.

Enjoy!

Brickshelf
This ground is not the rock I, thought it to be...

Last edited by Darktide on Mon May 01, 2006 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
jastermereel08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just when I thought that your Claw-Craft was perfect you go and make an even better version. Just about everything is perfect now. My only gripe is again with the guns. They seem too small and whimpy. I'd go with something that looks similar to the JSF2's guns. I do like the guns on the upper portion of the wings, though they're awesome. I also see that the wings are at almost perfect 45* angles. Great work, darktide.
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only onw of your best MOCs, but one of th best MOCs I've seen here in the past three years, no question. I don't suppose you have any skill with MLCad? I know a lot of us would love instructions or just and .ldr file. If not, would you be willing to tear down the body a little just to show us what's there? (Much like you did with the wings)

Or I could take a stab at it. I'm pretty good with MLCad and I think I can extrapolate enough from the photos, if that's okay.

I have to say that using the 1x1 plates with clips for the inner curv of the wings is very clever. Easily my favorite building technique used.

I didn't really comment on the first version because I didn't have time at one sitting to really discuss it, but I'm glad I waited. this version is superb. All future versions will have to compete with this one.

TPM
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it! You fixed the wings! Bravo, Darktide, you get major kudos for pulling this off. This is now my all-time favorite rendition of an "official" EU ship.

EDIT: Hey, does it have an interior? I'd love to see it if it does.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog

Last edited by Big Z on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
carpandean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe, but it's even better now. Still amazing, just more so. Nice job on fixing the swooshability.
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

[Darth Vader's voice]

The ability to build a MOC is insignificant compared to the power of improving an already great MOC.

[/Darth Vader's voice]

You have improved an already great MOC. I have nothing else to say than kudos to you!

Wink

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Force Persuade] You want to come with me and transfer your knowledge to me.

Even the teeny end to the ship is excellently designed.

*presses the "Histerical Cheer" button on the console*
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice improvements to your structure!!!
More hinges added strength and I see the neat idea of bracing using the 4L bar between the wings.

I notice what you used for the outer guns on the wings. If you want, the 'Hinge Arm Locking with Single Finger and Friction Pin' (483) could make them look and the tip guns look uniform with maybe a 4L bar for the tip guns.

But still, that is so minor compared to the GREAT JOB that you did with the wings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it can now be safley swooshed Smile
If I was to make one improvment, I think maybe the wings should be a little bigger compared to the cockpit, but I know with the reference pictures available this is just a point of view really.
But it is still a supreme model, and glad the see the 1x1 clips kept their place Wink
Any chance of a head on pic?
errbt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen this ship before (I'm assuming it's EU), and yet I'm blown away by your work. Amazing! You've acheived a level of smoothness and organic appearance as well as, if not better than, any custom I've seen.

The structure of the wings is just sick.

Brilliant!

-Brian

My MOCpages page

My Brickshelf Gallery

Myspace Page
Darktide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work so I'll have to be brief;

First off, thanks to everyone for your interest and enthusiasm!

jastermereel- Thanks man! The guns are kinda wimpy but they've grown on me. The upper "guns" are actually vectoring thrusters, so they're supposed to be different. I might still try to do something different up front.

TPM-Thank you very much! I don't have any experience with MLCAD. I try to use my meager free time putting brick-to-brick. You are more than welcome to give it a shot though. If you give me a few days, I'll get some exploded pics up to make the job easier. I might not get to it till the weekend so please be patient with me. Thanks again.

Collin-Thanks a bunch! It does have an interior. If you go back to the other folder, there are internal pics there. Or wait for the exploded view, I'll be sure to take some extra cockpit pics.

Carpandean- Thanks again!

Daz- <clears throat>....You do not understand the power of the dark side..I must obey the bricks....

Teg- <force choke> You want to send me all of your LEGO</force choke> J/K Wink Thank you!

ajcross- Thanks for recommending that I change the internal wing structure. This is much better. See above for the vectoring thrusters. Thanks again!!

roque-SWOOOOSH!!! The wing size is something that I don't think can be changed easily(at least it's not something I want to tackle). The head-on pic is not very flattering, but I'll include it in the next group. Thank you!

errbt- Thank you very much! I love the organic flow and honestly I'm surprised it turned out so well. You're MF is pretty sick as well.

Thanks again to all.

Brickshelf
Unknownjedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Whoah!! That's how I describe it. The first was awesome, but this... This is even better! The wings look near-perfect now. That seems to have made the whole thing work. Excellent job!

MOC Pages
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darktide wrote:
Collin-Thanks a bunch! It does have an interior. If you go back to the other folder, there are internal pics there. Or wait for the exploded view, I'll be sure to take some extra cockpit pics.

Ahh, thanks for pointing me that way. Spiffy work on that cockpit! Your next mission is to make either a unique Chiss pilot or Jag Fel. Wink

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
prowl79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better make instructions or I'm gonna have to pay you to make me one. I want it!!!
Zombie Sillyus
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Firstly: thanks to Collin for bringing this MOC to my attention. Exclamation )

Darktide-
I don't post here in the SW MOCs forum often, but when i do it's because something has completely blown me away. Such is the case here. Shocked

Like erbbt, i had never seen this ship before either. (And i thought i had seen all the "TIE" style variants!) But before i saw the reference sketch, i was amazed at how well it fit into the SW Universe. The wings' design is amazing, and they give the ship a more angular, aggressive, and fearsome look than the reference sketch lets on. I love it when great engineering also provides great asthetics. And that's a difficult thing to do. The ship's cockpit has the proper spherical shape it deserves, and the hull & aft sections have also been brilliantly executed.

Absolute top-notch MOC work!!! Cool
Mark Stafford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. I saw this on Brickshelf the other day and was blown away.

Very cool indeed. First thing other then the Voidfighter competition to bring me out of lurking mode!

Mark.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darktide wrote:
The upper "guns" are actually vectoring thrusters, so they're supposed to be different.

Obiously, the engineers took the artist's drawing, couldn't figure out what those were, and made vector jets.

But really, the four outer bars look fixed in place because of the bubbles behind them in the picture. The dark rectangles on the top of the wing curve are more realistic as vector thrusters. These would push the mass of the ball left/right/up/down instead of fighting against its forward momentum.

If the outer bars were guns, it would produce a shotgun of fire, which I have been using to great effect in SWBF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But really, the four outer bars look fixed in place because of the bubbles behind them in the picture. The dark rectangles on the top of the wing curve are more realistic as vector thrusters. These would push the mass of the ball left/right/up/down instead of fighting against its forward momentum.

That line of reasoning makes total sense; another example of differing references. The NEGVV describes them as being vectoring thrusters but I have to agree that your explanation seems more logical.

You can fly this fighter in SWBF?? I need to get that. I bet it handles like a beast!!

EDIT:
DOH!! Forgot to thank the rest of you:

unknownjedi- Thank You! Enthusiastic reactions are always fun. Glad you like it!!

Prowl79- You could pay me anyway.... Wink I'll get exploded pics up and to TPM to render soon.

Darth Sillyus- It's nice to get not-so-frequent posters in this forum to show up; quite a compliment. I don't think I can express enough how much I love the lines of this craft. Thank You!

Mark Stafford- I'm glad you came out to reply. You're a very talented builder; it would be nice to see more of your stuff around here. Very Happy Thanks!!

Brickshelf

Last edited by Darktide on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, no. But that would be freakin' sweet if it was in there. Very Happy

I think AJ was talking about using an actual shotgun in the game. In infantry mode, some of the troopers have a shotgun-style blaster rifle that can be devastating at close range.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
I think AJ was talking about using an actual shotgun in the game.

Oops. Yeah, as well as I can aim with everybody jumping around, jumping out of cover, blasting and ducking is one of my better bets to stay alive and get a kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than the first, but then again, it looks white in the New Essential guide and your reference pic.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would look as good in all-white.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
Darktide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Construction pics are now up so, if you want to see this in white, here's your chance.

cockpit pics included for Collin Wink .

--Steve

Brickshelf
Schism

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning. Very Happy

The connections from the wings to the body looked fragile and awkward in the first version. They are much better now. This is definately one of my favorite MOCs of all time, dude. Makes me want to go build my own.

Awesome, awesome job.

MOCpages gallery
We all make choices. But in the end... our choices make us.
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be putting together instructions in MLCad over the next few days, so if anyone wants them, just PM me.

TPM
warhawk
G.I. Brick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed! I think that's an excellent custom - the construction techniques used on the wings are simply outstanding. The SNOT bottom of the cockpit section also excellently done, but of course it pales when compared to the ingenious use of those 1x1 clip plates.

This is plain and simply outstanding work.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: