FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RecluceMage's Slave III ship, right out of the dark ages!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: RecluceMage's Slave III ship, right out of the dark ages! Reply with quote

Ok, here it is, my Slave III. Reclaiming the shape of the original Slave this ship is smaller and packs more powerful weaponry than the previous incarnations. It features 2 sets of 2 medium pulse lasers near the nose of the ship, giving a total of 4 close range weapons. Two extremely powerful and highly accurate long range lasers extend from the body of the ship on very versatile ball jointed arms. These lasers can rotate on more angles than the medium pulse lasers, and pack a more powerful punch, however, they take longer to cycle than the shorter ranged weaker lasers.

Unlike the previous Slaves, this small craft has an escape pod for the pilot. While it is regrettable that the cargo cannot also be saved it is sometimes a necessary sacrifice for the life of the pilot. The pod has a row of controls on the "face" of the pod, and life support systems built into a tight restraining area which comprises the "command couch". The pilot literally lays down and is supported by the structure around him, reducing fatigue on the body from gravity change and sudden deceleration. A force field creates a canopy for the pilot, ensuring a clarity of vision not seen by previous models.

While sparce, the hold is adequate to fit up to 4 individuals at a time. Comfortable? no.... but who cares? They only have to be alive at the time of delivery. The hold is accessible by the ramp and folding ladder. Two hatches on the side lower to reveal an equipment locker on one side and a weapons locker on the other.

The underside of the Slave III sports a hefty engine that powers one central propulsion unit and several maneuvering thrusters (located in the halo), giving it the best combat maneuverability of any scout/attack craft in private production. Held in place by swing arms, the landing gear releases to rest over these two massive pieces of machinery. The primary weapons pods also retract and recess onto the halo, adding support to the otherwise weighty weapons.

The entire gallery when public.

Side Shot, landed
top rear
top front
ship with escape pod detached
escape pod detached
escape pod opened to expose the command couch
ship with hatch off, showing details of command couch
cargo hold opened to expose detaining cell
right side equipment storage
left side weapons hatch
entrance ramp and ladder into the cargo hold/detaining cell
cargo hold lid removed, and detail of collapsable ladder
underside of ship with landing gear retracted
underside of ship with landing gear extended
details of landing gear extended
underside of ship with landing gear retracted showing details of the engine (on right) and main propulsion unit (on left)
ship with weapons extended for flight
side shot of weapons extended for flight
variable geometry on the long range lasers (on left) and medium pulse lasers (on right)

And one more note.... I consider this to be one of my very first MOCs after coming out of the dark ages. I was never a big free bulder, so this was a challenge. I've been here for a while now and studying the techniques used by the more successful builders; I hope my efforts are adequate. Comments and critique welcome! Thanks!
RedJango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that thing pushes the limits of LEGO-building. It's almost like...art. You should feel proud that I'm commenting, as I usually just see well designed MOCs but I won't actually post anything about them.

I think it really captures the concept of a "Slave" ship, good show!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice Slave III you've got! Colour scheme is superb, and great use of the (otherwise useless) Bionicle parts. And although the winner of the Slave contest has already been decided, I can't help but say that your entry is definetly worthy of a high note. Good job! And I'm looking forward to the next contest, hope you'll participate as well!

EDIT: Deleted stupid crappy post and added some (honest) comment on your entry.

Last edited by Darth Cicilion on Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Jango: Thanks for the comments, it is somewhat stylistically different from the other shipd of the SW universe.

Darth Cicilion: Thanks for crapping in my thread and posting absolutely no content that's On Topic. Hey, it wouldn't be a true forum topic without someone with their pants down to their ankles squatting in a dark corner.
Neyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Darth Cicilion: Thanks for crapping in my thread and posting absolutely no content that's On Topic. Hey, it wouldn't be a true forum topic without someone with their pants down to their ankles squatting in a dark corner.

:D Very Happy Thats True!

So.. back to your gr8 ship!
I like it... It looks a bit (a BIG bit) like Slave I Smile
The side cannons are realy good, and the engines are pretty cool design too!
Also I like how You disigned the front of the ship. Simple but Very, Very Cool!

So far so good...
Here starts the bad things... Very Happy (joke)
Why did u place Bobas Locker outside the ship... I mean, If he would land in a droid/enemy crossfire, he would need to get out of his ship to just get his weapons... Very Happy

And.. from what i can see there is no entrance form cockpit to the cargo hold... BUT the escape pod is a realy nice touch tough! Wink

So.. Keep the good work Up! Wink

Neyo
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. back to your gr8 ship!
I like it... It looks a bit (a BIG bit) like Slave I Smile

Yeah, I saw pics of the slave II and went"Blech!", this is going to be like Ford's Mustang.... back to basics baby! Don't fix something if it ain't broke! Plus.... the Slave I has got to be one of the sexiest most awesome ships in the SW universe.

The side cannons are realy good, and the engines are pretty cool design too!
Also I like how You disigned the front of the ship. Simple but Very, Very Cool!

Thanks, those are all areas I had the most trouble designing, but also took the most time building and rebuilding. I think that made the difference.... constant work to get a better look. My main goal was to achieve some SNOT and greeblies, all at the same time. I have not done any of that in the past.

So far so good...
Here starts the bad things... Very Happy (joke)
Why did u place Bobas Locker outside the ship... I mean, If he would land in a droid/enemy crossfire, he would need to get out of his ship to just get his weapons... Very Happy

Yes, this is something I may work on.... placing at least one weapon in the command couch. Problem is, I just ran out of space in that tiny little cockpit!

And.. from what i can see there is no entrance from cockpit to the cargo hold... BUT the escape pod is a realy nice touch touch! Wink

Yes, I knew with a detachable cockpit that wouldn't be possible. However, I don't think its soo much of a problem as that negates a safety concern of the bounties possibly getting into the cockpit and taking over. It's a rather small ship, really, and having a lot of interior passageways was something I didn't even bother trying to work out.

So.. Keep the good work Up! Wink

Neyo

Thanks, I appreciate the comments, especially from someone who has been so successful with building.
Commander Neyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing is awesome, great use of the bionicle peices.
Magnaguard000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd like to pilot that ship! This looks lke it took a long time to make!
Obi-1-kenobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool great job!
fmoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool looking Slave. I like the interesting shape you built, especially when looking from above/front with the large round ends and the empty middle sections, and also the inward tapering above the cockpit. Lots of cool details (Boba's hidden boomstick compartment is a nice touch), including a lot of great looking greebles/landing gear on the bottom. Also, you certainly used a good variety of parts.

As I mentioned earlier, I like the overhead/frontal shape with the hollowed out mid sections, and I think the shape would look even cooler if it was refined a bit more. What I think would be interesting if you could adjust it so that the middle sections curve in a little instead of the abrupt 90 degree angles, so that you get something like a double axe. Those black pieces are kind of monolithic (I never really liked those things, esp in the old MF) so you might consider throwing them out and sculpting the curves using wedges and wing plates to give the Slave a more refined looking shape. Just my opinion. Smile

The color scheme is quite original (that's burnt orange, right?), but the color distribution looks a bit mottled, especially from the sides. I think grouping them up better (eg, make a smooth green area from above and below the cockpit, with maybe some continuous orange highlight bands), would really improve the ship's look. The other small thing that bothers me are the exposed Bionicle arms used for the wing joints. I just don't like Bionicle. Smile I don't really know how to improve this (I'm not very experienced with joints), but if you could somehow decorate or cover them up a little, things might look a little better.

Anyways, very nice job, especially for your first serious MOC out of the dark ages.

Dennis

thievery.org/dennisc | flickr
Darth Cicilion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RecluceMage wrote:

I´m really sorry if my post upset you, for I absolutely did not meant to do so! I love your ship, and it is always nice to see people contributing to the contests! I´m really sorry if I was being a little too harsh with RedJango, so I apologize to him too. Honestly, I didn´t meant it in such a way, I was just trying (and apparently, failing) to be funny!
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

First of all, what a nice entry for the Slave III contest. I guess it was worth waiting for it. Wink

The color scheme is very nice and well chosen for a Slave type ship. Unlike Dennis, I think the color distribution is just right. It's just too bad that those saucer pieces don't come in green or burnt orange, because I think they stick out too much in black.

The use of bionicle parts for the wings was brillant, because it gives the your ship an organic look. That's what I should have been using with my Slave III.

The greebles are nice, but I personally think there a little too much on the underside there. But, they are well built.

Overall, it's a really really cool model for someone getting out of their Dark ages. You deserved to be nominated for your model.

I just hope you'll grace us with more amazing MOCs !

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cedarsith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

I love so much about this ship.

First, I like the organic feel. It reminds me of an animal, squated (no, not in the dark Wink ) waiting to pounce.

Second, I like the way you have split the base with then ends rounded. Nice.

Next, the use of the bionicle pieces is cool. Really makes it look smooth

Finally, the colors and greebling really finish this MOC off.

Get to know me
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a cool ship and a competitive one in my contest enjoy your honorable mention and good luck to you on your future MOCs

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Force Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Firespray you got there!

Unlike Daz, I like the black dishes on the bottom as it gives the ship a dark, menacing feel to it. It might stand out a little, but I like it like that.

The compartments all over the ship is awesome as well.

Overall, this is a great entry for the contest and I think it will be very hard to beat this one.

Good luck on the contest and keep on building!

Click the pic to view my bricks.
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those black pieces are kind of monolithic (I never really liked those things, esp in the old MF) so you might consider throwing them out and sculpting the curves using wedges and wing plates to give the Slave a more refined looking shape. Just my opinion. I will be looking into building my own, probably once I get my hands on the new Slave LEGO is putting out so I can see how its done. I don't own any of the other Slave sets.

The color scheme is quite original (that's burnt orange, right?), but the color distribution looks a bit mottled, especially from the sides. I think grouping them up better (eg, make a smooth green area from above and below the cockpit, with maybe some continuous orange highlight bands), would really improve the ship's look. The other small thing that bothers me are the exposed Bionicle arms used for the wing joints. I just don't like Bionicle. I don't really know how to improve this (I'm not very experienced with joints), but if you could somehow decorate or cover them up a little, things might look a little better. Yes, about a month ago I discovered dark orange and started cleaning out the BL sellers' stock. Then this contest came along and I though it was the perfect time to use it. I also wanted to use bionicle to show that it could successfuly be used in MOCs with standard lego bricks. I will be adding a few printed tiles to the wings using technic pins, that ought to do something for it. But bionicle is very good for adding a mechanical feel that greebles can't, and that technic can do only sometimes.

I´m really sorry if my post upset you, for I absolutely did not meant to do so! Its not that the post upset me, I was just hoping for some on topic comments along with the good-natured joking. I ALWAYS throw in some on topic stuff if I just have to post some off topic comment. Thank you for your compliments, too.

I guess it was worth waiting for I was really busy these past weeks, and then on Saturday had an all day event. I raced home to finish building and take pics. I think I was up till about 1:30 uploading pics and posting them.

The color scheme is very nice and well chosen for a Slave type ship. Unlike Dennis, I think the color distribution is just right. I looked at pics of LEGO's other slaves and saw that it was a rather mottled appearance, so I thought I'd be ok with some large patches of the colors.

The greebles are nice, but I personally think there a little too much on the underside there. But, they are well built. It was my first time doing greeblies, and there still needs some to be some work done on them. It's all a work in progress, there. The main thruster is a bit fragile and prone to detach. I also went through several different engine types until I was satisifed enough to submit it.

First, I like the organic feel. It reminds me of an animal, squated (no, not in the dark ) waiting to pounce. Yep, that's kinda what I wanted, a menacing, viscious look.

Unlike Daz, I like the black dishes on the bottom as it gives the ship a dark, menacing feel to it. It might stand out a little, but I like it like that. I think the black looks better than I thought it would. I also bought some of the light grey, but decided they were too light. If they ever make them in dark grey then I'll be swapping everything over. Green or orange would just be too colorful. I started adding in some other black pieces so that the black dishes wouldn't look out of place on the ship.

Thanks for all the comments and compliments, I do appreciate it all, and I look forward to the next contest.
legomaster324

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is nice
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: