FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Main Site (1-08-09)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Redesign, Upgrade, and Other News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Main Site (1-08-09) Reply with quote

Thursday January 8th, 2009:
-I'm seriously considering dropping the chat from FBTB. Until all of us learn to act like adults, we clearly shouldn't have a chat here. Thanks to those of you who know how to behave when you're given a special privilege, and for those of you who don't, you're fast approaching the end of your chat use.
-To end on a positive note, after a very productive staff meeting last night, we have pinned down a launch date for the new FBTB. But I don't think we're quite ready to tell you yet. A small hint: it won't be this month. Wink

Monday January 5th, 2009:
-New Year's bug has struck again. For the past couple years, every January 1st the main page is hit by a bug in the system. This year appears to have hit harder than ever. We're trying our best to get it rectified.
-Previous color scheme was restored. Hope everyone liked the Christmas vibe. I'd like to do more temporary reskinning jobs like that in the future.

Monday December 22nd, 2008:
-Extended the "More News" sidebar to display more past new entries

Friday December 19th, 2008:
-The scrambled PIG may soon squeal again...
Edit- because not everyone understood: The IPG (internet price guide) is getting an update/makeover with Copyright's (most appreciated) help.

Friday, December 12, 2008:
-Added Private Message Inbox to the forum dropdown menu, removed Suggestions
-Corrected link to Mike's Miniland, removed UK Tou Fair 06, removed Minifigs by Robert, added Kaminoan, and added Toy Fair 08 to the Spotlight dropdown menu
-w/ Ace, fixed error on COTW page that had disabled the winners list.
-in lieu of new COTW code, began a revised version on the forum

Thursday, December 11th, 2008:
-Added a semi-permanent link to the Chat in one of the randomized banners at the top of the page. You're welcome. Razz
-Changed the Contact Us form to send emails to fbtbstaff@gmail.com
-Added Brothers-Brick, CountBlockula.com, BrickArms, and BrickBuildr to "Links of Interest" on the sidebar. Removed Zemi.net (Crying or Very sad ), Eblockvillage, RedBeanStudios, Building Empires, and Auctionbrick.com

Wednesday, December 10th, 2008:
No, the current Christmasified FBTB.net is not the site redesign we mention from time to time. That was me just having a bit of fun last night when I was supposed to be writing a report for school.

-Added LEGOAT.com to the Links of Interest section.

The main page is going to be completely redesigned. The current layout will be no more. Expect a simplified, clean look. It will be more bloglike in nature. There's a rough draft of the design floating around somewhere, but we'll give you a sneak peek at the new design when it's closer to completion.

Last edited by Chief on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:42 pm; edited 19 times in total
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick! Everyone search for the secret page design plans!
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you'd want to divulge the plans you have for the new site in keeping with your new "making ourselves answerable to you" motto? This way, we can give you feedback about what we would hope/expect in these things. Additionally, since we'll know what your plans are, we can ask about features/ideas not already planned.

I have another question as well. Are all the changes that are being planned a one shot deal? In other words, once these changes are implemented, will we have to wait another 4-5 years before any hope of changes, or are you going to continually evolve the site, making it better and better as time goes by?

Finally, I would like to end on a positive note. I recall at the beginning of this year that you made a new year's resolution not to ever let the main site go blank (no news posts) again, and you have held to this. The news and posts on the front page have actually been plentiful this year, and I'm appreciative of that. I hope you will keep going with this resolution into next year as well. Smile
MingoDave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firespray wrote:
secret page design plans!

Secret plans! How apropos!
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be a new section of the site for dirty pictures of centaurs, as requested by Don a couple weeks ago?

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There better be, or else I go on strike.

And Jude, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but you've barely been here a year. The current mainpage is only a couple years old and features have been added and dropped throughout - just not lately as the whole thing is going to be revamped. It will be rolled out all at once but it's not set in stone.
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Site (12-10-08) Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
The main page is going to be completely redesigned. The current layout will be no more. Expect a simplified, clean look. It will be more bloglike in nature. There's a rough draft of the design floating around somewhere, but we'll give you a sneak peek at the new design when it's closer to completion.

More updates as we have them.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A few changes around here would be welcomed in my opinion.
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, are you guys going to enable RSS for the main page or the forums? Web2.0 is gooder. Razz
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Site (12-11-08) Reply with quote

Chief wrote:

Bloglike, you say? I must admit that I prefer the current page... Confused

Are there any faults in particular of the current page which lead to the change?
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Site (12-11-08) Reply with quote

CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:
Are there any faults in particular of the current page which lead to the change?

It's old.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Site (12-11-08) Reply with quote

Firespray wrote:
CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:

It's old.

With that in mind, wouldn't it be able to just improve the current page styling? It's very simple, and the drop down boxes are fast working, the links are clever, and the news is nicely done. I personally like it, but...

But then again, those who think it's old must be old themselves, I suppose, and as I'm new here, I reckon it's up to you. Wink

So bloglike, but not an actual blog? That's OK.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is OK. Because it's old, and we need something new. Badly.

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
Yes, it is OK. Because it's old, and we need something new. Badly.

Well then there you go! Razz

Maybe something like what Rebelscum is using?
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EW. No.

EDIT: Wait, I found an emoticon that conveys my feelings better:

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have that when we move?
DaZombie2007
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the custom of the week is going to be redone, it is ridiculously out of date. I personally am glad to see that it will be in effect once again.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:
I don't suppose you'd want to divulge the plans you have for the new site in keeping with your new "making ourselves answerable to you" motto? This way, we can give you feedback about what we would hope/expect in these things. Additionally, since we'll know what your plans are, we can ask about features/ideas not already planned.

How's this?: We ran a poll earlier this year about what your thoughts were about FBTB expanding to other themes. The new FBTB *will not* just be Star Wars.
Also, there will be more opportunities for feedback when we actually have something to show.

theJudeAbides wrote:
I have another question as well. Are all the changes that are being planned a one shot deal? In other words, once these changes are implemented, will we have to wait another 4-5 years before any hope of changes, or are you going to continually evolve the site, making it better and better as time goes by?

As far as I know it's going to be one big blowout, yes. Things like forum organization, different policies and things, those always change over time. But I think when the main site is done, it's "Done" for the foreseeable future, unless it's *so* bad that you guys bust out the axes and pitchforks and put a bounty on our heads.

theJudeAbides wrote:
Finally, I would like to end on a positive note. I recall at the beginning of this year that you made a new year's resolution not to ever let the main site go blank (no news posts) again, and you have held to this. The news and posts on the front page have actually been plentiful this year, and I'm appreciative of that. I hope you will keep going with this resolution into next year as well. Smile

Thanks. We've tried. Wish we'd done more, but we're only human (well, Mike..not so much...)

GrayMattR wrote:
I asked this in the Main Site thread but I think it got glossed over due to the conversation of why new v. old... Anyway, quick question: are you going to enable RSS for the main page and/or the forums?

I know the mods and admins know what RSS is but just to prevent someone asking "what is RSS?" - it's an internet data standard that allows frequently updated content to be read on demand by RSS readers, like Google Reader, or RSS-enabled websites, like MyYahoo. I use RSS feeds in MyYahoo to know when blogs are updated or other websites. If there's a new topic, I click the link to visit the site. If there's no new topic, there's no link to click so I keep on doing whatever it was I was doing instead of wasting 15 precious seconds visiting a website only to find out there's nothing new. Very helpful.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you. It's been... busy...lately around here :\
Since the new site is (for the moment anyways) at it's core a wordpress blog, I see no reason why we couldn't have RSS enabled. I don't know the technical process for making this happen, but I'm not the technical person for this site. I guess if my *family* blog has the option of RSS, there's no reason why a site based on the blog code couldn't.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Page is broken. We're doing our best to fix it. Happy New Year :\
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
The Main Page is broken. We're doing our best to fix it. Happy New Year :\

Currently the Main Page works just fine. Hopefully that is permanent, but I am not an expert on this. By the way, I would like to thank the staff for everything that they are doing to improve FBTB and fix the glitches.

Chief wrote:
New Year's bug has struck again.

Just asking, is this bug responsible for the main page saying Happy New Year about 300 times?
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with news posting right at the start of the new year. I can't explain exactly what causes the problem (because I don't know the code,) but the workaround solution is the reason for the multiple "Happy New Year!"ses.
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any chance of a mobile web-friendly version of the site?
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I wish I was on. I might've been able to help.
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobMacManus wrote:
This may sound like a silly question, but is there any chance of a mobile web-friendly version of the site?

This is speaking generally, but how does Brothers-Brick look on a mobile device? That should about answer your question, I think.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
Rogue13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
To end on a positive note, after a very productive staff meeting last night, we have pinned down a launch date for the new FBTB

You don't want to know how many times I read that sentence trying to make sense of it. I thought it said "lunch date" not "launch date"

Will the new main site have something that people like myself can figuratively smash their heads against? I think it may prove useful on a site like this. Wink
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue13 wrote:
Will the new main site have something that people like myself can figuratively smash their heads against? I think it may prove useful on a site like this. Wink

I don't know about that...will this tide you over? Pop them really hard and mad, it might help.
Zombie Bizzle
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
RobMacManus wrote:

This is speaking generally, but how does Brothers-Brick look on a mobile device? That should about answer your question, I think.

Well I'm in my iPod touch and FBTB looks "ok". If you could only make it like fliker moblie a little smaller ect.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Redesign, Upgrade, and Other News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: