FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UCS Slave I

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: UCS Slave I Reply with quote

yaySlave I
burp
./

It's UCS in theory, to scale with the UCS Falcon, but it's actually to exact minifig scale. UCS does sound cooler than EMS, so I threw it there instead. I have been building this ship for the past 9 years (since the line started), and have gone through too many versions (the most recent ones) until I learned how to built one fine day. Look around the flickr set to see all the hidden weaponry and interior. All comments are appreciated either here or on flickr, because I spent most of the last half hour taking pictures and putting this up.

Brickshelf
flickr set

TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. Nice work on the back, but it seems that the engines should be bigger.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; the engine sizes should have a one stud longer radius. but that wouldn't fit will with the back (only leaving 1 stud gap between the engines and the edge), so I just used a 4x4 instead.
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very awesome, only thing its missing is a Carbonite Han Solo.
I Scream Clone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool,
Thats quite a long time to invest in one project. Very Happy
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this version was particularly tedious because I went through 2 other designs for the snout portion before using this one. In case anyone cares, here is a brief history of me posting the ship online: WARNING: EXPOSURE TO SUCH CRAPPY CREATIONS MAY CAUSE SEVERE EYE DAMAGE

So those were the previous 7 versions (not to mention countless other even worse atrocities not photographed) that I attempted. Looking back at them seems slightly painful, so just look at this one. Wink

Any more comments?
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, another one? Wink

Great job on this one. Lovin' how you mixed some old grey in with the new bley.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil wrote:
Dude, another one? Wink

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this one, and unlike the previous versions there's nothing much to change. So I won't be jumping back to this for a while. Maybe. As you can see from the pictures above, the other ones really sucked.
Larry Lars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new version is great. It is inspiring to see all the previous versions and I think you should stop being so hard on them. Wink

At least 5 and 6 are really good and the whole thing is a good lesson in development of a building style. The change is in aim and ambition. Starting with off scale play set models similar to LEGO's own, evolving into scale models of a more sculptural quality.

The only thing I dont like with the latest one is how flat the tapered part looks on the top. especially when you watch the thumbnails. I always liked how the thumbnails of the later versions tricked you into thinking it was something not made out of bricks.

It would be intresting to know how you came up with the latest changes.
Was it new research or some aspects you've been struggeling with all the way.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry, thanks for stopping by. Smile

I came up with the newest changes because the other ones really lacked what I thought was essential, a slowly tapering nose. In the last two versions before this, the large "canopy" piece did not allow me to make the nose go slowly down as it does in the real model. So in order to make it look most realistic, I chose to use the slopes+studs.

About the "flatness" on the top, I honestly don't mind it because I reckon it's the only real way to capture the nose section. By scale calculations, the amount of curved slope on the ship should be equivalent to around 2.3 studs in Lego minifig scale (rough estimate), so I just went with the slope. Additionally, you also need an 8 stud width for it, so I did it.

I worked on this version for a really long time (in comparison to the others) to get every part of the shape right. If you look at the newish-older versions, they look decent but have some weird parts standing out when you look at them from different angles. As I consider this my life's work, I wanted it to look relatively perfect in comparison to the diecast one on my desk.

Any other takers?
gold_2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll go. first let me start by saying you've done a great job staying truthful to the original model- the shape is just about perfect. it looks very nice and very correct. I can appreciate the time and effort it took you to work so hard on this for so long.

having said that, its dawned on me that I'm not really sure if I only ever liked Slave I because Boba Fett piloted it, because I've come to find your model quite dull. its boring. to put it another way, were this a true Lego UCS version, I wouldn't really want to display it, because it isn't very interesting. honestly, I think you really need to work on the weathering of the ship. mix in dark and light greens, break up that brown with grays and blues.

Take a look at this: http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/slave_1_diecast_L1.jpg, now that's spicy! it looks like a ship Boba Fett would cruise in. and its got what your version lacks. with the work you've put in here, I think it demands some effort on the finish. the construction of the bottom already lends itself to pulling this off.

anyways, that's my 2 pennies
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gold 2, thanks for stopping by, I never saw this post before and just saw it now when I was looking back. You're actually right, there's a lot of color variations on the actual ship vs. my version, that's something I'll definitely do. I tried to do it with mixing bley and grey, but it didn't achieve the same affect. Maybe I'll try throwing in sand-green and dk. bley in random places to get that effect.

Thanks for stopping by, that's definitely something I'll look to when I'm rebuilding. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you post a new Slave, I always take a look, but I just am a little disheartened by the 'step' pattern of the brown, rather than a flush look. Perhaps slopes are out of the question, or angled plates.

Other than that.... thats a lot of Slaves.... You definately need to try your hand at other ships, otherwise you'll go stale and get eaten by moths.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your observation on the "stepped-up" look of the brown SNOT is noted; I will definitely try and change that for the next version. I don't think my version of the brown hull works well, so I'll try my hand at some other techniques. Thanks for the feedback!

Haha, I try my hand at other ships occasionally, but part of me just wants to perfect the Slave I, so that's what I tend to do from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with gold_2 on this one: more detail/discoloration on the gray hull would make a huge difference.

Having said that, the overall shape is perfect, and the back is awesomely detailed. What I like the most is that you're still revisiting this model after such a long time (9 years is a long time). Each get's better and better, so you're efforts are not in vain. With some more work on the hull, this will easily have as much shelf presence as the best of the best Slave I's out there. Smile

Click the pic to view my bricks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: