FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Test In Video Editing (A Star Wars Music Video)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Force Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: A Test In Video Editing (A Star Wars Music Video) Reply with quote

I’ve been playing around with my new Macbook Pro, and came up with this video. It’s the first custom video I ever made. I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging, but I think I did a fairly good job with it. The video quality is pretty poor though. It’s more than fine on iMovie (the program I used to make it), but when I uploaded it to youtube, it got a lot worse. Confused

Anyways, I’d appreciate any praise/constructive criticism you guys have for me. Smile

Oh, and the song is “Through the Black” by Demon Hunter.

Click the pic to view my bricks.
General Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty sweet. the music fits well, although not my preference of music, I still like it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, especially for your first one. Some of the syncing up could be improved and I didn't like seeing shots repeated... but those are my only real suggestions.
General Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for a first that's really good Smile
The music seems to fit perfectly with the sequences you chose.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Kaiba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For first attempt that's very good!
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great!
How long did you need for doing it?

FlickrBrickshelf
Gingerbeard Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Test In Video Editing (A Star Wars Music Video) Reply with quote

Force Master wrote:
The video quality is pretty poor though. It’s more than fine on iMovie (the program I used to make it), but when I uploaded it to youtube, it got a lot worse. Confused

What format (size, encoding etc.) is your video in iMovie? Probably a much higher quality than the lowest common denominiator used by YouTube.

While YouTube will accept various formats it always mashes them down to a "standard" Adobe Flash video format (i.e. the video stream is transcoded). So no matter how good the quality of your source material, everybody will see the uploaded version in the same reduced quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Video_format

YouTube itself has the following to say:
Quote:
We specifically recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.

So it might (possibly) help if you explicitly recode your video to 640x480 before uploading it.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, reminds me of the days I used to make Star Wars music videos. Good times.

Good video, definatly better then my first video Razz And it's even better cause it's Demon Hunter, and I really like them Smile

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Force Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Don, yeah, for me, the syncing was a bit frustrating. It was a choice between cutting a shot too short, or letting it go on a bit longer. Problem with being too short was that the viewer wouldn’t be able to see anything, and the problem with it being to long is that the camera angle changes too suddenly. It’s just something I’ll have to improve on. As for one shot being repeated; there’s actually no two shots that are the same. Granted, I did use a lot of clips from one scene, so that might be where the confusion lies. Just something to work on.

Andi, thanks! It took me about 5 hours from beginning to end. I don’t think that’s too bad.

Gingerbread Man, I actually first ripped the entire movie to itunes with a program called Handbrake. I converted the size to “Normal” (which I believe is used to view the movie on a standard screen”. I then imported the movie from itunes to imovie.

If I formatted the movie to 640x480, then that means it wouldn’t be good for viewing on full screen, correct? Then that would mean I would have to import the movie twice, which takes up twice the amount of HD space, right? As it is, it takes about 2 hours to import a movie to handbrake. That means 4 hours, just to have two movies, two different sizes. *Sigh* If there’s an easier way that you know of, I’d be more than happy if you shared. Smile

DD, thanks. Demon Hunter is pretty awesome.

What I really want to do is a "Super Trailer" for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. We'll see hw that turns out.

zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you did a video of all the lightsaber/flying/action sequences - it really fits the metally song. Smile Awesome work!

I know this video editing group called Smokeyfizz on Youtube who seems to like Star Wars a lot. They've made several SW vids, and they're really fast-paced. Here's their channel.

『 <3 』
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you really want to make this amazing, use one of the video effects that slows or speeds up the film and time that to one of the power chords or drum beats in the song, its hard but eventually what you get is ridiculously cool Smile
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definatly a good next step for you is to make thingsfit in with the music itself. It's not always easy. But sometimes it just fits in itself, if your lucky Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Force Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nacho, haven't seen you in a while. Thanks for the comments. Thanks for the youtube channel too, looks like some neat stuff.

Emperor, I'm actually pretty new to imovie, so I don't know too much about that kind of editing. But I do plan to get there, so just you wait. Wink

DD, I'll admit that I got lucky with more than one clip matching up with the song, but hey, I'll take what I get, right? Razz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: