FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Steam Gunship

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giantrobot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: My Steam Gunship Reply with quote

Here is my Steam Gunship

moer pictures in the Brickshelf

Thanks

Last edited by giantrobot on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:Post edited. Newb moment guys, sorry. Embarassed :

Last edited by NecronCommander on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care how good the others look; this one has to be one of my favorites. The LAAT/i has class everywhere. Maybe some steam clones now? Smile Great work!

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zombie Hawk
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work! I recognized that without even reading the title! Smile
blackjoker4215

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone made a LAAT. Awesome job!

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild!
MingoDave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting to see one of these....
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too.

That really looks great, very good work. Smile
I really like the engines, and the greebling is also neat.

The windshields, on the other hand.. The lower one is okay (more than okay, to be exact), but the upper one seems to stick up a bit too much..
In addition, the side panel with its underside upwards doesn't look too good, either.

But these little flaws will easily be forgiven. Very nice job, indeed.
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I can't say I agree with all the "OMG This thing is just so awesome!!!!11!!!" comments, because, quite frankly, it doesn't deserve it.

This MOC, though a decent attempt, looks way to cluttered to me. There is a lot of decent attempts at making things look functional, but rather then looking functional, they look tacked on. All the hoses in the back are a good example of this. It looks to me that you just kinda threw them on, just to make it look steam powered. The panels on the sides also looked tacked on to me. They don't look integrated into the MOC as a whole, but rather an afterthought once you got the general shape finished. The wind screen are the same way. Though a good attempt at putting something there, the execution looks to rushed. They could have possible been very well done, but right now they stand out way to much.

The "thrusters" on the top, in my opinion, are way out of proportion to the rest of the ship. I would find a better way to make a round piece like that, because the click hinges make them way to large. Another thing that bugs me, and don't think had to much thought put into it, are the propellers. On something like this, you would need large props, not just a bunch of little one. Right now, unless you are really looking, you can hardly tell they are even there. I think if you have put brick built "balloons" where the thrusters are, it would have worked out a bit better.

Really, to me, the only thing that makes this say steam punk is that it's grey and brown. But, having grey and brown parts don't automatically make it steam punk. Really, you have a week before the deadline, I would label this a WIP, and go back and try to take care of some of the clutter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
This MOC, though a decent attempt, looks way to cluttered to me. There is a lot of decent attempts at making things look functional, but rather then looking functional, they look tacked on.
Isn't that the point of steampunk? Seriously.

*sigh* Long posts are always bad news.

*flees*
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the point of steam-punk is not just to be cluttered. If that was the case, I could just throw a bunch of crap together and call it steam-punk. If you look at some of the best steam-punk MOCs, there is "clutter" but it is organized clutter that looks like it has a purpose. It doesn't look like a bunch of stuff was literally thrown on just to make it look like a steam powered vehicle.

Saying being cluttered means its steampunk, is like saying just because it's brown it's steampunk. Clutter is something that can be used in steampunk, but it has to be done right, and in my opinion, the clutter on this MOC looks more like a hindrance, then anything else.

Last edited by TurkGuy19 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gold_2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, while I partially agree with what Turk said, my biggest problem with this ship is that for a "gunship" it doesn't have very many guns. you've got a crew of like 5 guys for what appears to be 2 rifles. I don't see any bombs, no other guns, not much in the way of fighting at all. I also think the way you have the hoses connect to the big engine pods is a bit weak, but that's me.

"I need more....more power!" firepower that is...
giantrobot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much guys...
This is my first post and my first STEAMPUNK MOC.....long way to go....

It was fun to create things...hehe
Xeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
You know, I can't say I agree with all the "OMG This thing is just so awesome!!!!11!!!" comments, because, quite frankly, it doesn't deserve it.

QFE. Turk is 100% right. You need function with these things. Because, why would people put hoses on? So they can help with some sort of task (moving steam for example)!

And, as Turk said, steampunk isn't about browns and grays. It's about steam powered machines!
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always welcome new builders, and there's still plenty of time to make changes and update the ship. You have until the deadline to make any tweaks and changes.

That being said, this should stand as something very important in the MOC forum. Comments like "wow that's great" or "the best thing ever" aren't all that useful to a builder. Constructive criticism is, because that makes us all a better builder. I've put this other places on the forum, and when I post, I'd take one post like Turk's over 100 Shocked and "amazing!"

Yes, sometimes those have their place, but if that's all I get, I just wasted my time. I can use Flickr to post pictures.

giantrobot, I think this has a lot of promise, and will be a contender. There's still room to go, and you make some minor changes to bring it a long way. Focus on function over form, and the form will come. What I see it missing is a big "exhaust" outlet for the steam that would invariably follow it. The engines have more of a jet feel than a boiler, and that's why the hoses look out of place. If you had something running to them, and some other exhaust (steam rises... and they should drive something) ports, that'd help. The base where the hoses connect, with the outlets and gauges is what you want to capture. That sort of look should be reflected in the whole model.

You've got some extremely creative and well-thought out ideas. This model really stands out as a demonstration of SNOT creativity. You see the bottom of plates more than the tops, which is very cool. A few tweaks, and this thing will do great.
giantrobot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.....

I think the big thing I missed is the big "exhaust" outlet (thanks dWhisper to point this out)
maybe I should explam a little more about how it works...

This is the water tank... we all know the steam was made from the boiled water

and those pipe and hoses were not just junk it can send the first pass steam to the steam jet engine
gray hoses are the steam line and the black hoses are the CO2 smoke line..

and those valves also important...all the controls depend on those valves

now is the engine they use the first pass steam , mix more air than fire it again give the ship more power

just some ideas when I made this ship ...would like to share.....
hope I got more time to work on this........
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*mostly obsolete post*
Turkguy19 wrote:
No, the point of steam-punk is not just to be cluttered. If that was the case, I could just throw a bunch of crap together and call it steam-punk.
Fine, that was an oversimplification. I'll say this: my first instinct was to laugh at this MOC because it's over the top, with humongous bulbous thrusters and rifles for laser cannons. And I like it that way. It's funny, and that makes for an endearing model. The propellers are weak, though.
Turkguy19 wrote:
I agree, but saying it that way sounds condescending. How can you so completely dismiss the complements that have been given by other forum members? It's elitist.

On the other hand, Turk and DWhisper, I appreciate the actual suggestions made about the MOC. Sure, the steam factor isn't clear enough and the propellers don't have engines. But IMHO and in the opinion of several others, this MOC already has great excellence for the overall shape, SNOT base, etc.
*current response*

Mmm, valves. The boiler looks really good there, especially with that railing with the motorcycle and interior cabin next to it.

I'm partial against the helocopter props on the wings, though. It would be a huge refit, but the propellers would work better attached to the main engines, and the engines could swivel.
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCJedi wrote:
*mostly obsolete post*
Turkguy19 wrote:
No, the point of steam-punk is not just to be cluttered. If that was the case, I could just throw a bunch of crap together and call it steam-punk.
Fine, that was an oversimplification. I'll say this: my first instinct was to laugh at this MOC because it's over the top, with humongous bulbous thrusters and rifles for laser cannons. And I like it that way. It's funny, and that makes for an endearing model. The propellers are weak, though.

And that is your opinion, just like what I said is my opinion.

Quote:
Turkguy19 wrote:
I agree, but saying it that way sounds condescending. How can you so completely dismiss the complements that have been given by other forum members? It's elitist.

No, the fact that most of the people posting that type of stuff, do it for almost all the MOCs, doesn't make what I say elitist. I'm sorry, but I will be the first to say that I am not the best builder. I don't think of myself as such. All the "elitists" are the ones that don't take the time to post anything about anyone else's MOCs, but post MOCs all the time, and expect to get comments.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite amazing! My favourite thing is how you tried to explain how this thing can be workable in real life (okay, some anime parallel universe at least) with the water tank and detailed interior and all.

><>
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it from that angle, it makes more sense. It still needs exhaust, but there's a caveat here. You get one picture, so some of these elements need to be more present. It might a different picture being used for the submission. That's the big challenge of a build this big... you have so much to capture that something will get missed.

It'd be interesting if you could expand that tank out. Maybe make a second one, and find a way to connect them. That'd add depth and bring out the "steam" aspect even more. Some "troops" or workers back there might help as well.

I don't think you'll be hurting for votes, especially with half our member base saying that the MOC of the day gets their vote for the hour.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that you attempted a large craft, but there are two things that bother me right off the bat, visually:

The reversed plates in the engines and towards the middle of the body just look odd. Were they done that way just for construction reasons, or some other rationale? Particularly from this angle, the plates make the ship look too LEGOy, if that makes sense.

Interesting choice for windscreens, but they don't integrate as well as the rest of the ship and look like they'd be a biatch to actually look through. I'd almost rather see open cockpits there, which would also help show off your pilot figs.

I imagine this ship as more of a slow-moving military platform, like an airship, rather than the speedy "real" gunship. Is that in line with how you think it would move? (I'm just curious.)

I personally feel the whole mechanical mess you've got up top between the engines is fantastic; this shot in particular makes the ship feel a like a real, functional, possible vehicle. The shot portrays a great "in the thick of things" feeling and I really like how you've managed to make a fairly sleek SW ship seem so cobbled-together and yet still functional. One small detail I would've like to change is to have some chains strapping the engines down for a bit more steampunkery feel.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
brickscout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top three in my book...I am glad I am not a judge... NICE WORK!!! Shocked
giantrobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrade Wink

ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3! The second version is much better! I still don't like the side doors, but it's still one of the better mocs for this contest. And the fact that all of the hoses are going some where is really amazing.

Great work. Smile
kyphur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does version 2 fly?

I don't see propellers or ballons (which would still require props to create forward thrust).

Is there such a thing as a steam jet?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: