FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boo! Iím Back! [New MOC: The Outrider]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Force Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Boo! Iím Back! [New MOC: The Outrider] Reply with quote

Many of you probably do not remember me, but there are a few who do (at least I hope they do).

Havenít been on lately because of life. You know, the job, school, relationships, and the like. Happily however, Iíve managed to squeeze some spare time out for building. I was a bit dry on ideas, so I decided to build a somewhat iconic Star Wars vessel, The Outrider.

For those of you who donít dabble in EU, hereís some references to the ship:

Star Wars Databank

Wookieepedia

Now for the MOC itself.

[ Brickshelf Gallery ]

Some Deeplinks:

Exterior:

One | Two | Three | Four | Five

Detailed Close ups:

One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six

Weapons (Two double laser cannons and one retractable laser cannon):

One | Two | Three | Four | Five

cockpit Interior:

One | Two | Three

Main Hold Interior:

One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six | Seven | Eight

Removable flap for playability:

One | Two

Dash Rendar:

One

And one last shot showing how swooshable the ship can be:

One

Well thatís it. Hope youíve enjoyed it! Comments and CC are most welcome! Smile

Click the pic to view my bricks.

Last edited by Force Master on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I really like what you did with this ship, in all areas! The cockpit, though small, really has some interesting features, especially your take on the seats.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back man, glad to see you haven't lost any of your style in your time off!
strwrs429

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Outrider, and you did a great job creating it. My only suggestion is to make it a little more circular. Nice Moc!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. One of the best, if not the best, Outrider I have seen.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild!
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was an official set, I would buy it. It's just great, and I especially love the interior and cockpit, tons of nice features. My only suggestion: add some orange highlights, like in the SW Databank pics, if possible.
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good and sturdy unlike other big ships.
11numnumnum
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FM! Long time no see! Great MOC there. I especially like the cannons, and the interior. I don't really like Dash's face though... and shouldn't the cockpit hold both Dash and Leebo?
HJR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I call a proper MOC Very Happy

Great stuff; it looks really good; you really captured the look of the vehicle spot-on, although I'd take the back vents from the 4504 Falcon instead of those grill-tiles you use, and perhaps the landing gear as well. Apart from that, perfect!
Thadiator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey welcome back! This such a cool ship, and you have captured it so well! Fantastic Job!
roguebantha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I would have known it was your work anywhere!
Great work on the outside and inside, like HJR said, a proper MOC!
I really like the deep groove in the top/front, but personally I would have smoothed it out a bit more, but then thats not your style Wink
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo, pretty. Me likes. Nice detail and size as well.
Also I really like Dash.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieD1
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! It's nice to see you and your creations once again. Smile

I'm not really familiar with the ship, but you seem to have done a nice job recreating it. Your greebling is done very well, and so are the guns and the engine. The interior details you've added are also cool. You've done a good job capturing the shape, but the jagged curves are bothering me, especially around front center greeble area. I'm not really sure how you could smooth that out without completely redoing the structure, though. Perhaps adding a wedge plate here and there would help?

Looking at the references you posted, I think that the area around the top gun should be raised a little more. I don't think it would necessarily make the creation look better, but it might make it a little more accurate.

Overall, this isn't my favorite of your creations, but I still think you've done a great job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback guys!

Knapplc, glad you like the seats in the cockpit. Iíve actually been using that design for a while now, and never get tired of it.

Don, thanks for popping in. Happy to know that I have a distinct style around here too.

strwrs429, thanks man. In truth, the hull of the MOC is actually about ĺ of a circle. It only looks not-like-a-circle because of the way I constructed it; plates. If you take a look at my other renditions of circular Star Wars freighters, the hulls are a full circle made with grey plates which makes them look a bit jagged.

blackjoker, thanks for the compliment!

Mastaí Bo, appreciate it! Sadly, I donít have enough orange pieces to highlight the ship. I do take donations though. Wink

Captain Ausome, thanks. It is very sturdy, but also pretty darn heavy. I get a work out just by swooshing it for three minutes.

11Numb, thank you. I think I got the idea for dashís face somewhere, but couldnít find the source. Itís the only face I had that kinda looked ďrough enoughĒ to play the role of Dash. But I know what you mean Ė Dash doesnít have a beard like that. Also, the cockpit can hold two mini-figs, thus allowing room for Leebo. I just donít know how to make a good Leebo fig yet. If anyone has any ideas for Leebo, please donít be shy to speak up.

HJR, thanks for generous comment! I like the idea for the landing gear. When I get a chance, I think Iíll do some experimenting. Thanks again.

Thadiator, thanks for the comments.

Roguebantha, I appreciate the comments coming from a talented builder (those mini-scale domes are awesome). Smile Yeah, the lines of the ship may seem too rough for some, but like you said, smooth just isnít my style.

DD, thanks. Glad you like the mini-fig Dash as well. I was lucky to have that torso lying around, as IMO, looks great on Dash.

D1, I appreciate your honest comment. Yeah, adding wedge plates would force me to redo most of the hull (which would be a pain), but if I put the effort, it might be better. No promises though. The top was a hard one for me. I too knew that it had to be raised higher, but also knew it would make the ship look kind of awkward. I really had a hard time deciding what to do, but in the end, style got the better of me. I guess I went for a ďmy interpretation of The OutriderĒ version. Razz

Thanks again guys. Additional comments still welcome. Wink

Unit 186

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nothing unexpected. After years of your style I still easiliy recognize it. It's accurate and it's your style, no surprise there. Great work as usual!

FOR SALE
Force Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit 186, thanks for stopping by! I'm happy to keep hearing that people can easily recognize my building style. Smile

Rogue13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job. I remember you back from '05.

The outrider is, too, one of my favorite ships. you did an awesome job creating it. even if the turrets should be a bit taller, I think it looks beter like this.
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FM... glad to see a familiar builder back around here.

Once again... that's got your distinct touch written all over it. I love all the little working features that you managed to pack into this, like the accessible areas for Dash to go into (cockpit, etc.). Playability is a huge plus in my book.

Nice to see you back around, and hope to see more from you soon!
Force Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewoklad, thanks for commenting. Smile

Logan, I was afraid you wouldn't stop by! Thanks for the comment. I too would say that playability is a huge factor in whatever I build. I still have that "kid" inside of me that likes to play around with toys. That's why I'm a bit hesitant on getting the UCS Falcon. Looks great, but can't swoosh it. Sad That, and $500 isn't easy to come by. Wink

Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell... if I was going to get that, I'd need about $1000.

$500 on the Falcon, and another $500 just to figure out how to make it into a playset. Which would frustrate the life out of me, cost me over a year, make it weigh about 50 pounds, and pretty much end up unfinished... Shocked

Not a problem in the stopping by department though... when I am here, it's nice to see familiar people around still doing their thing.
Shifto Canucki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful Job! It is very humbling to see that you built such a great (and oddly shaped) starship MOC using mostly standard issue plates and slopes.

This is a stunning rendition of one of my favorite EU ships.

-Shifto
Force Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifto Canucki, thanks for the praise! I mostly use standard issued plates simply because that's what I'm most familiar with. Smile

Logan Starfire wrote:
Hell... if I was going to get that, I'd need about $1000.

$500 on the Falcon, and another $500 just to figure out how to make it into a playset. Which would frustrate the life out of me, cost me over a year, make it weigh about 50 pounds, and pretty much end up unfinished... Shocked

I hear ya about leaving MOC's unfinished. I was working on another Starship before the Outrier that turned out half done because of a good idea I had, then left it like that for a month or so. I sometimes get pumped about an idea and rush into a MOC only then realizing I haven't thought anything through except that single idea. Ticks me off sometimes...

jp-30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely model Force Master.

If you're looking for a Leebo to help Dash out, I made one for a contest last year.

Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Master wrote:
I sometimes get pumped about an idea and rush into a MOC only then realizing I haven't thought anything through except that single idea. Ticks me off sometimes...

Story of my building life... Wink
Force Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:
Lovely model Force Master.

If you're looking for a Leebo to help Dash out, I made one for a contest last year.

Leebo

Wow, sweet looking customs you got there jp-30. Is Leebo customized Lego, or mostly from custom molds? I notice that his arms are standard robot arms but I'm not sure what you're using for his body and head. I'm not a big fan of using non-Lego peices, but I'll admit that those figs may be worth bending the rules.

Oh and thanks for the comment. Wink

jp-30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All unmodified LEGO elements, except for silver sharpie & stickers.

Head is 1x1 round with minifig skaeboard helmet on top. Body is a newish Bionicle minifig torso (& legs).

Will replace suitcase-and-ribbon with Indy Jones' man-bag once I get my hands on one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no modified pieces huh? I'm going to have to give that a try, though I'm not big on coloring Lego. Perhaps a bley body would do instead of silver. I know I have a bley skateboarding helmet lying around somewhere. And I also might have to customize the body so he'd be able to fit behind Dash in the cockpit. If I do post something, I'll be sure to give you a good helping of credit. Thanks man. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: