FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contest #8: Episode III UCS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

UCS Contest
badgerboy's General Grievous' Starfighter
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Olog's V-wing
16%
 16%  [ 29 ]
Pepa Quin's ARC-170
39%
 39%  [ 71 ]
Pro/E Jedi's P-38 Starfighter
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
wintermoog's Droid Trifighter
21%
 21%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 181

onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Contest #8: Episode III UCS Reply with quote

UPDATE (12th March) by bluemoose
Well, we have a winner - Pepa Quin's ARC-170
2nd place - wintermoog's Droid Trifighter
3rd place - Olog's V-wing

UPDATE (5th March) by bluemoose
Phase 1 voting now finished; results below -

501legion's Vulture Droid 0% [ 1 ]
badgerboy's General Grievous' Starfighter 10% [ 19 ]
DestructiveDelirium's Republic Attack Cruiser 4% [ 9 ]
DevalII Devallus's Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter 0% [ 1 ]
Jayfo's V-Wing 1% [ 2 ]
mechimatic's Commerce Guild Support Ship 0% [ 0 ]
Nezumiiro's Techno-Union Starfighter 0% [ 0 ]
Olog's V-wing 11% [ 21 ]
Pepa Quin's ARC-170 32% [ 60 ]
Pro/E Jedi's P-38 Starfighter 12% [ 22 ]
roguebantha's Banking Clan Communications frigate 4% [ 9 ]
Rook's EPIII Jedi Starfighter 2% [ 4 ]
sam90's Droid Fighter 1% [ 3 ]
wintermoog's Droid Trifighter 17% [ 32 ]

Tricky decision time; I had hoped to reduce this to 3 MOCs for the final vote, but the 3rd, 4th & 5th sets are so close together, I'm going to put five through -

01 - badgerboy's General Grievous' Starfighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=224644

02 - Olog's V-wing
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=225479

03 - Pepa Quin's ARC-170
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=230566

04 - Pro/E Jedi's P-38 Starfighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=224560

05 - wintermoog's Droid Trifighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=225959

Voting starts .... NOW !!!!!

It'll run through for 6 days from the time of this post. Winner to be announced next Sunday, 11th March.

Thanks to everyone that entered the first phase, all the entries were excellent, and thanks too to everyone that voted !

UPDATE (25th Feb) by bluemoose
OK, Phase 1 of the voting is now open; it'll run until next Sunday. Happy voting !

PRE-VOTING UPDATE (23rd Feb) by bluemoose - all the entries are now locked in. The list is ==>

flickr set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/sets/72157594552648937/

01 - 501legion's Vulture Droid
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=223845

02 - badgerboy's General Grievous' Starfighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=224644

03 - DestructiveDelirium's Republic Attack Cruiser
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=218974

04 - DevalII Devallus's Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35629969@N00/sets/72157594409441258/

05 - Jayfo's V-Wing
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=213982

06 - mechimatic's Commerce Guild Support Ship
http://www.mechimatic.com/lego/recusant.html

07 - Nezumiiro's Techno-Union Starfighter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87384171@N00/sets/72157594464695560/

08 - Olog's V-wing
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=225479

09 - Pepa Quin's ARC-170
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=230566

10 - Pro/E Jedi's P-38 Starfighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=224560

11 - roguebantha's Banking Clan Communications frigate
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=223591

12 - Rook's EPIII Jedi Starfighter
http://pic5.piczo.com/rolfholbrook/?g=14567804&cr=5

13 - sam90's Droid Fighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=225431

14 - wintermoog's Droid Trifighter
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=225959

We will have a two stage voting - Round 1 will include all 14 entries & will run for a week from this Sunday to next Sunday. At that point we will down select to a smaller number (around 3 or 4 sets depending on the votes) which will then be open to vote on for a further 7 days. Then the overall winner will be announced. Any issues, please PM me (bluemoose) direct.

===============================================

Update to the qualified entries: ONLY NEW models will be accepted. granted, i may not be fully aware of every MOC that every LEGO fan has built in the past 5 years so I am going to be dependent on the members of the community to point out any members that may be trying to slip in last year's model. if you're afraid of the backlash by pointing fingers, you may pm me privately.

Okay, been gone for awhile and thus we skipped last month's contest. To make up for it, I'm holding an extra long contest for November and December.

Build a UCS-scale model from the following list of Episode III starships:

ARC-170 starfighter
Banking Clan communications frigate
Commerce Guild support ship
droid starfighter
droid tri-fighter
escape pod
escape pod, Yoda's
Imperial Theta-class shuttle
Jedi starfighter
Naboo star skiff
Neimoidian shuttle
P-38 starfighter
Republic attack cruiser
General Grievous' starfighter
Techno Union starfighter
Trade Federation Battleship
Trade Federation cruiser
Trade Federation landing ship
V-wing starfighter

The links go directly to the databank pages on Starwars.com. Google might also help you find more reference images. Or your very own copy of the DVD.

What is UCS scale? I don't think scale matters so much as detail. UCS X-wing and TIE Interceptor were much larger than minifig scale, then came the Rebel Blockade Runner which was much much smaller. The UCS Naboo Fighter was considered a part of the UCS family even though the scale was very close to the original System set. The detail on that ship, however, was no doubt the chrome pieces. There is no absolute set guideline on what can be and cannot be considered an appropriate scale for UCS. The difference wiill be in the details, execution, scope and size. And as always, since this contest will be judged by the members of the community, it will be up the voting members on what they deem as the best UCS scale model. Details, details, details.

There is an embargo on entries until December 31. That means from now until December 31, 2006 you may not post your entries. Entries will be accepted January 1, 2007 until January 7, 2007. After that, the qualified entries will be collected into a flickr gallery and voting will commence. Details on voting structure will be outlined at that time.

How to enter: post an image of your final model in a response to this thread. Image can be no larger than 500x375 or (375x500). You may link to an external gallery. You may post your entry anytime between January 1, 2007 and January 7, 2007. Entries posted before or after will not be accepted.

The Loot: Winner will be able to choose one of the following:

10174 Imperial AT-ST
10175 Vader's TIE Advanced
10134 Y-wing Attack Starfighter

Only real LEGO models accepted using genuine unaltered, LEGO elements. No CAD models please.

Questions? Ask them here.

Last edited by onions on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aurra is Singing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... A new contest? Methinks I might have a go! Very Happy

~Aurra~
HJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a bit limited, isn't it? I miss the emergency firespeeder, the republic assault boat or even Anakin's Intergalactic speeder which had way more screen time than the P38...
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Now I have an excuse to build something from Episode III (something my collection has been lacking!)

I was thinking just today, though, about Bail Organa's airspeeder (because of Legostien's great mini model, of course!). Why is that not on the list? Are you defining starships as only the 'space worthy' vehicles? Escape pods might be stretching it, then.

Not picking on you, just trying to broaden the scope. Wink

-Matt
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some one enter his or hers old UCS MOCs?

My Brickshelf Gallery
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJR wrote:
Hmmm, a bit limited, isn't it? I miss the emergency firespeeder, the republic assault boat or even Anakin's Intergalactic speeder which had way more screen time than the P38...

Pepa Quin wrote:
Finally! Now I have an excuse to build something from Episode III (something my collection has been lacking!)

I was thinking just today, though, about Bail Organa's airspeeder (because of Legostien's great mini model, of course!). Why is that not on the list? Are you defining starships as only the 'space worthy' vehicles? Escape pods might be stretching it, then.

Not picking on you, just trying to broaden the scope. Wink

-Matt

i took the list of crafts from the star wars databank under the starships heading. all those other vehicles are either unlisted or listed in the vehicles category.
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:

i don't see why not. just dust it off and take a nice pic.

would that really be all that challenging though?
Narnia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:

i assume so, and if this is the case there's nooooooo way Fox Hound's trade federation battleship can lose.
Unit 186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, perfect timing. I was already planning to make something UCS. This should allow enough time, hopefully.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions wrote:
Darkkazmo wrote:

I mean if this is the case, don't you think people who already spent many months building their entries and acquiring the parts needed would have the bigger advantage? And would that discourage other builders to enter?

My Brickshelf Gallery
Pro/E Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
onions wrote:
Darkkazmo wrote:

I mean if this is the case, don't you think people who already spent many months building their entries and acquiring the parts needed would have the bigger advantage? And would that discourage other builders to enter?

I guess that's just tough luck. I doubt I can compete with that 13000 piece Droid Control Ship. Doesn't mean I won't enter. This is my first contest. I'm STOKED! Too bad I had to sell 7 SW LEGO sets recently to pay some bills... Crying or Very sad

May the Force be with us! Build away!

--Geoff
Vidzombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just for clarification we can only do a STARSHIP from the list you provided? Darn, guess I'm not doing a BARC speeder. Hmmm This could give me an excuse to buy the Arc 170 for pieces...

Flickr

Last edited by conan on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say that I don't like the idea of a UCS contest because it will severely limit the entries to builders with large collections and time... but at the same time I can say that it is still a contest open to anyone and it's better than no contest at all.

So, I look forward to trying, failing, getting frustrated and trying something else that I can hopefully finish and enter.
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
Unit 186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Let me just say that I don't like the idea of a UCS contest because it will severely limit the entries to builders with large collections and time... but at the same time I can say that it is still a contest open to anyone and it's better than no contest at all.

So, I look forward to trying, failing, getting frustrated and trying something else that I can hopefully finish and enter.

Don, aparently UCS is undefined in this contest. Your ship could be merely a few studs and still be UCS.
Pro/E Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

Ditto. At least we have 2 months...

Unit 186 wrote:
Don, aparently UCS is undefined in this contest. Your ship could be merely a few studs and still be UCS.

Perhaps a minimum stud length requirement is in order... Question
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a minimum size is required - the rules seemed pretty clear:
Quote:
What is UCS scale? I don't think scale matters so much as detail. UCS X-wing and TIE Interceptor were much larger than minifig scale, then came the Rebel Blockade Runner which was much much smaller. The UCS Naboo Fighter was considered a part of the UCS family even though the scale was very close to the original System set. The detail on that ship, however, was no doubt the chrome pieces. There is no absolute set guideline on what can be and cannot be considered an appropriate scale for UCS. The difference wiill be in the details, execution, scope and size. And as always, since this contest will be judged by the members of the community, it will be up the voting members on what they deem as the best UCS scale model. Details, details, details.
So if you really want to enter a mini scale as a UCS, it's really up to you... but be prepared to lose unless you can really blow people's minds with whatever detail you manage to pack into a few stud long model.
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
Masta Lego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who it was, but the person who built it needs to enter that absolutely HUGE Licrehulk they built. AKA Trade Federation Battleship for y'all who don't play the SWCombine.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try and build an entry, though I'm not going to win... It's probably going to be one of those builders that always seem to get in at least the top 5. (fmoo, Mark Stafford, etc.)
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think this is another good contest idea. First, it completely contrasts the last contest in scale. Second, it's extremely challenging, and forces less experienced builders (such as myself) to extend ourselves further.

The "no-size limit" gets everyone involved, and creativity and detail can conceivably beat out size. Honestly, people have made 3000 piece AT-AT models... and some of them, while impressive in sheer size and scale, they look a little funny. Others are incredible for the detail they pack. Obviously, that isn't an option for this contest, but a fairly decent example.

The trick is to think outside the box here. Prime example of that? Look at some of Darkkazmo's Advanced Alternates. The details he's packed into sometimes tiny spaces is astounding. There's inspiration everywhere for us.

With all that said, will I enter this contest? Who knows... depends on what I can or can't build by the deadline. The point is in trying, not in thinking whether or not you'll win. By trying, you're just trying to gain more skill and knowledge as a builder... that's pretty much why I'm here (though the idle chit-chat passes the time nicely). We all can learn new techniques and designs, regardless of skill level. I don't understand why that's hard to see sometimes...
Curtis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an great contest, its sure to bring out some awesome creations. Just one question though, can we use stickers on our MOCS, I'm not talking home-made stickers but rather the ones that come with official sets, like the CIS symbol sticker in the Tri-Fighter set.

Brickshelf Flickr MOCpages
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier is in. Thanks for the contest...I wonder what I'll make...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another contest at last !! and a big one too, thanks guys. I hope to enter but I shiver at the thought of that big circular ship with a ball in the middle (sorry I forgot its name).

Anyway, a question on ucs scale, can we include minfigs in a ucs model?
warhawk
G.I. Brick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A UCS contest? Muahahahaa! Very Happy

This might actually force me to finally enter a contest... But maybe not, because I usually only build for my own fun.
Unit 186

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rule: Warhawk is not allowed to enter. Razz

I've already planned out what I'm going to be building. Thanks for the great contest!
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
onions wrote:
Darkkazmo wrote:

I agree with Joseph. But then again, what can we do to stop people from enterring old MOCs? I know that if I had to face up against that 13,000 piece Trade federation thingy, I would be very discouraged on enterring. If only there was a way to date people's MOCs, but alas, there is not. I sincerely hope that noone is greedy enough, or rather lazy enough, to enter one of their old creations.

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Unit 186

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if an old moc is entered, people have already expressed their enjoyment towards it. I think they'd be more inclined to vote for newer stuff, but I also agree that I'd be intimidated going against almost any UCS-scale ship I've seen so far. But I'll let you guys figure it out.
darthviper107

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it, I can't enter, I'm at college and all of my lego is at home so the only thing I could do is a computer version and apparently that's not allowed.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ofcourse try to enter this but I have a big problem, actually more than one.

1. I have soooooo much work, that means less build time
2. Trying to hold my own against the likes of Warhawk, who is quite frankly, probably the best UCS builder I've seen around (no ofence to anyone else)
3. can't think of a third
4. I just don't think I have the skill really, I think I'll do the V-wing
5. It's a great idea for a contest but this really will limit so many members, size wise, piece wise etc

But I must say that Ace really is the most generous of people:
As a prize for a complete stranger is a wonderful gesture

I will also ad that with the quality of so many of the MOCs here so high I really can't wait to see how this contest turns out,
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me - Ace demonstrates such altruism & devotion to this site, & the community here, by running these competitions. He puts up these amazing prizes, puts in the effort to plan the competitions & run them, and all he ever seems to get in return is whinging & whining ... to be honest, if I was in his place I would have given up running these things by now - the grief that is generated is just too painful. I'm overwhelmed by his tenacious perseverance.

It is very simple from my perspective - Ace puts up the prizes, so he gets to set the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't enter. If you want a chance at the prizes, stop whining & get building. It really is that simple ...

I haven't been back & checked, but I'm just wondering - how many of the whingers & whiners in the previous competitions have actually won ? Or have the successful entrants been the ones that just knuckled down & built the best damn MOCs they could ...

Ian
babyjawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only whine because that's who I am... Though I wasn't really whining, I was just being pessimistic. I never expect to win, mainly because the people with bigger collections usually have a better chance. They have more, different, and rarer pieces, while some of us have squat.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: