FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ack ack ack, ack, ack ACK!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Minifig MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Count Blockula
Undead Undead Vampire Zombieraiser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Ack ack ack, ack, ack ACK! Reply with quote

"I can smell it from the interstate.
What is that? Barbecue?"

<-- click!

Very Happy

My dad asked for this movie on DVD for Christmas, and it's been on TV a few times recently; so, I've been thinking a lot about the characters and the technology lately. I really like the sci-fi retro look of all their stuff. I also think it's cool how their technology looks playful and harmless, but it's actually as evil and destructive as they are. A perfect recipe for MOC building fun! Razz

Like I mention on the page at the other end of the link, it would've been cool to completely encase his head inside a helmet; but, I think the few trans clear parts do the trick of giving the impression of a helmet. You can also see the face better like this (not covered). He's quite a bit taller than he should be in comparison to a human minifig, but I think the size inconsistency is worth trading off for better facial detail.

I tried about three or four different head designs before settling on this one. So far, this is the most solid and accurate configuration of parts I could come up with. It's a pretty easy build, too, with fairly common pieces.

So how do you think I did? Does it look close to the real thing?

-Mike

EDIT: I updated the head design a bit. It's a very simply change, but it makes a really big difference. All I did was move the 2x2 trans inverted tile on top of his head back a stud. Then, I attached a trans panel to the underside of it, onto the two overhanging studs. As a result: (1.) there is now "helmet" covering the green brain veins in the back, and (2.) the head stays solidly together.

Last edited by Count Blockula on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Red 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, another excellent creation by Count Blockula. I love how you used the lever base for his eyes. But my favorite thing is definetly that heat ray. Waaay cool!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. As you mentioned in your post, it is too big but I'd rather have the detail. I like the gun you made for the martian. What's really crazy is that I just watched this movie on TV. Shocked Keep the doves away. Razz
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god.

That is just, too good for words.
Count Blockula
Undead Undead Vampire Zombieraiser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like him. I wasn't sure what other people would think of him not having a full helmet.

I was using still shots from the movie as guides whan making him. I have a nice shot of a scene when a martian is holding his rifle and blasting someone, so I used that when building the ray gun. It only took about a minute or two to come up with the final design for the gun -- it just seemed to go together so quickly and perfectly:

I think the next thing I want to make is that big walker / mech thing the aliens use toward the end of the film (the one that's chasing the kid down the street while he's in the pick-up truck):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the rifle, and that mech (in BrickFa style?) would be cool to see too!
Legostein
MINI Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very clever construction, Mike! Using 3 neck brackets to finally being able to add a 1x1 round plate on the long torso stud is genious! Smile As those Mars Attack figures do indeed have large bulbous heads which allows you to do quite a detailed job on the head. Amazingly good!

Best greetings,

~ Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would "ingenious" be too strong of a word for this moc? Nah, I love it! Perfect usage of pieces to give the expressions. From the eyes, to the teeth, to their flappy little jowl-like things.

Ingenious!
Darth Matt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats an awesome fig id say it looks like the alien,and that movie was weird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow never seen the film but have looked on the box. truly awesome work there.
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jastermereel08 wrote:
Very cool. As you mentioned in your post, it is too big but I'd rather have the detail. I like the gun you made for the martian. What's really crazy is that I just watched this movie on TV. Shocked Keep the doves away. Razz

I just watched that on regular TV too Shocked Anyway, the gun and the Martian look just like the ones in the movie Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Mike! I saw this first on Brickshelf and the design alone had me rolling on the floor laughing. The head is great, and the ray gun is absolutely perfect.

Flickr | The Brothers Brick
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Just so no one takes m head and sticks it on a dog. to me, perfect detail.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Minifig MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: